windshirts just dont work for me!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Well tried a friends montane litespeed (with front zip) for the day walking on flat ground mild to windy weather and boy did i heat up.

I run hot anyway and even in on a winter hillwalk wear a normal cotton sweatshirt to let the wind cool me and just change to another when it soaks up a little too much on the lower back

Or just wear a merino long sleeve t shirt

Both these work and always have just thought I would join the modern age but definitely wrong. Who else feels the same the old and simple way the best for them "at Least."

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I see windshirts and the like as more of a thin layer to put on at a stop, for example having a break after a hill climb. I wouldn't want to walk with one on either, if its chilly i'll wear a long sleeved merino top, if even colder a lightweight long sleeved running top from aldi a few years ago, keeps me warm enough. Surprisingly i prefer to walk with a rab vapour rise on than i do with the windshirt, the pile inside soaks up a bit of the sweat making it feel more comfortable, while its actually warmer.

Tonyuk

bearbait

Merino long-sleeve or T for me, plus further layers according to wind and weather. I like to run cool too and am adding and removing layers according to altitude and windspeed. I'll tend to make ascents in as little as possible and pile on layers at the top/stops, then peel off again before recommencing.

I've found that gloves can be a good way of fine-tuning body temperature and usually have a pair of silk gloves close by, and pile mitts in the pack.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
for me a windshirt is only useful on cold days with strong wind otherwise prefer a baselayer and a fleece which together are still very breathable. Baselayer, fleece and rain jacket for me are the best mix 90% of uk weather. Windshirt and insulation layers not needed that much. (south east england that is...)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Looks like we all think and do similar glad I don't own one just thrown on a sleeka jacket or waterproof when at rest on the hills

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Sorry nope defo windproof layer for me on cold and or windy days. Only it was no wind and warm would i not have one.

But do you not find them hot. The walk I did was probably 45 min and on the flat and I was boiling. Windy day and certainly not warm.

On a hillwalk I could carry one coat a waterproof and be wind and waterproof protected when needed on a rest break.

I have done countless winter walks in just a long sleeve top andbeen able to control my body heat far better.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
But do you not find them hot. The walk I did was probably 45 min and on the flat and I was boiling. Windy day and certainly not warm.

On a hillwalk I could carry one coat a waterproof and be wind and waterproof protected when needed on a rest break.

I have done countless winter walks in just a long sleeve top andbeen able to control my body heat far better.

People have different bodies. What you're saying is they work, but they are too warm for you. Not that they don't work. Some people can go to below freezing in a tshirt, and won't be cold, some can be sitting in the sun in 35C weather, and put on a coat because they are cold (actually seen both).

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Of all the ones I looked at buffalo came top just because I own a sp6 and yes I will 100% agree on the good use and need of side zips.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've used a windshirt a lot, when cycling. It's not something I wear all the time, it is something I keep in a back pocket for putting on when the wind gets too cold or when it starts raining heavily.

They stop the wind enough to greatly reduce windchill, whilst being much more breathable than any waterproof. Being so small means they can be always carried, so are with you when unexpectedly poor weather rolls in.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Well, I am a big fan, in the right circumstances. Multi pitch rock climbs for example, hotwhen moving, cool on belays, so pull on a windproof. Similarly when hillwalking, a base layer and a windproof if its cool do me for most situations, on with another layer when I stop. And I tend to run hot which is why I prefer a windproof to another layer.
Hey ho, each to his all.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Mike La id much rather be a tad to warm than to cold, but nope most of the time on cold windy days i get it about right, its either a rab generator jacket, buffalo mountain shirt, or lined canvas shirt .

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
You might want to consider something other than a Membrane. The issue you are having is that your Montane top can't breathe as fast as you sweat. So, look at the options that can transfer more moisture, with a bonus if it can also vent well. Personally I just got myself a Páramo Fuera Ascent Jacket. It's a windproof jacket with pit zips for venting. And being Páramo it breathes better than pretty much anything else on the market. Would highly recommend it.

J

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You might want to consider something other than a Membrane. The issue you are having is that your Montane top can't breathe as fast as you sweat. So, look at the options that can transfer more moisture, with a bonus if it can also vent well. Personally I just got myself a Páramo Fuera Ascent Jacket. It's a windproof jacket with pit zips for venting. And being Páramo it breathes better than pretty much anything else on the market. Would highly recommend it.

J

The Buffalo is pretty good for venting, zips all the way down the sides. I am talking about the single layer ventile windshirt which is otherwise much the same as the Paramo Fuera but without a hood.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I forgot to mention, I have a gabardine smock made by our own blimop5, & that is very good at blocking the wind, & being gabardine breathes well.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE