Windows cannot update....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I get this message regular so haven't been able to update for a long time, any ideas folks?

I've searched the net and read that many other users get the same message. :(

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Trying to install the SP2 I get a message saying "The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install." :(

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Sorry Res, if it is something more than cutting bread, I struggle, my system says "6.0.6002 service pack 2 build 6002"

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
"windows could not search for updates, an error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
error(s)found, code 80040154 windows updates encountered an unknown error"

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
"windows could not search for updates, an error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
error(s)found, code 80040154 windows updates encountered an unknown error"

Lots of possibilities here, but my guess is that either (most likely) you have some malicious software infection on your PC, or (very possible) your anti-virus package is messing things up, or (equally possible) Windows itself has managed to get in a muddle.

But before anything else. it's probably time to think about the state of your backups. If you can, back up what you think you need from your PC.

Both viruses and anti-virus packages are renowned for causing this kind of problem so it might be worth uninstalling any and all of those that you have TEMPORARILY and perhaps trying a different one to see if that sheds any light. Here are some suggestions:

http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=30672

I found that by searching for "error(s)found, code 80040154" using my favourite search engine. Try it yourself, there will be quite a few hits.

You could try using the Windows repair functions. You might have a disc already which you can use but most often thesedays with cut-throat price competition you don't get one. You can make one easily enough, see for example

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ndows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/

When you've made the disc, boot from it and choose the repair option. It might work and it might not. If it doesn't we could be getting into deeper water. Time to ask how much it's worth to you not to have to format the drive and reinstall Windows from scratch. There might still be a simple way to fix it but it might be time-consuming to find it.

Lots more we can do, but see how you get on with that then post back here to tell us what happened.

There are forums all over the place where people are much better placed to help you than BCUK.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Tried a few things and it won't let me back up anything, a message read.."catastrophic error" when attempting back up so I've threw all my pics, documents, bookmarks etc, onto my Freecom external hard drive just in case.

I removed AVG then later installed Avast, need to find the disc that came with my laptop......which should take me a couple of months :)
g/kids are climbing over me as I type. :rolleyes:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
:D ...apart from me covered in blackcurrent juice, 20 odd discs on Barney, Mickey Mouse, In the night Garden etc, and a load of gifts (dandelions and a few roses) from the garden, not a lot really, Ged. :cool:

Told me wife I have a virus, she sez there's some antibiotics in the cupboard. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE