Windows 10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Microsoft want me to try it.

I am dubious

A) I have little understanding of computers

B) First versions are often naff

Anyone downloaded it yet?

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
I found it surprisingly okay worked well for most things. I do however use my PC with some devices that weren't supported yet so I had to revert to 7.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Download it and park it on one side, as I understand it it's free now but won't always be; somebody more knowledgable will probably be able to expand on this.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
got a new laptop that went from 8.1 to 10 so keeping it. a lot of the software I use won't work on the laptop so have to resort to still using the pc with 7 on more.
you've all got 12 months from the public launch of 10 to download and try it. after a week you get the option of reverting back to your old OS. XP versions of programs seem to install easier than the ones made for 7/8

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
If you're happy with what you have, don't change. And beware of downloading it because it will then nag you incessantly to install it. You have 12 months (11 now) before you need to make a decision anyway.

Personally I'm far too unhappy about some of the security implications of W10 to change.

Edited to add:- if you use any older software or things like printers be cautious because drivers aren't available for many older pieces of kit so you could end up being unable to print or link to a camera or whatever.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Windows 10 is geared up to harvesting your browsing info and recent updates suggest Microsoft are upping the ante and are looking to monitor your every use of every application. There are plenty of recent articles about how to turn off some of the more intrusive settings that W10 runs by default, I suggest you have a Google session on these. Internet privacy died some 10 years ago but MS have just moved ahead of Google (for the time being) in terms of data mining.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
My IT head at work gave me a brief on it. Safe to say I'll go back to a damn typewriter before I put windows 10 on a machine I use.

I want Microsoft to supply an operating system. Not a spy system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE