Wind up, solar powered radios, anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Wow, I'm amazed at how cheap they are these days.

I have a freeplay 360 too, it is just over 11yrs old and cost me £65+ back then. It has been a good reliable radio, however I have dropped it onto a concrete floor once too often and need to get the screwdriver out to do a few repairs.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Ive got a bush one. Real handy, you can hook up your phone to it too and charge it (you have to keep spinning it). After a while however, it gets left at home everytime as I dont really want to listen to the radio while in the bush, and it takes up room in the bag.

Real handy to keep in the car, but no use in the field.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
When ever i have tried this sort of thing it always seems to be a case of 10 minutes winding for 11 minutes of radio :(
They are always so noisy to wind too.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I've got the eton one, lives in the back of my car. The radio works well, the torch gives a decent light and it charges my phone too. A great bit of kit in my opinion.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I have the Degen DE13.
It has a FM,MW Sw1 &2 radio, built in led-light, usb for loading your mobile, Ipod etc and the possibility to load 3x AAA baterries.
It also has a emergency flashing light and siren in it, which is quite load.

I intend to use as an emergencyradio in case of catastrophies, not for everyday use in the woods. I prefer it to be quite there.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I invested some time in finding a radio with Trevor Baylis' name on it. It's in my home emergency kit now, a good radio plus torch.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
We used to hand out radios to the locals in Afghanistan as part of media ops. The ones I have experience with are the Kaito KA009:

http://www.kaitousa.com/KA009.htm

See here for review:
http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka009.htm

I didn't really expect much from it to be honest but I'm still using it 5-6 years on. It is robust, easy to use and has 4 different power sources as well as numerous bands. I used to get the BBC World Service all over Afghan as well as the Middle East and various other random far-away places.

It can either be used with a wall socket adaptor, which can also charge the internal Ni-MHbatteries; it can run off those batteries or 3 AAs; it has a winder handle on the back; and, finally, there is a small solar panel on the rear. This latter isn't so useful unless there is strong sunlight and you are listening via the supplies earpiece. The radio also comes in a strong plastic pouch and has a SW aerial.

Basically, this used to go into my ops bag whenever I went anywhere and it worked as advertised. Can't say much more than that, really.

Last edited:

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
well mine arrived yesterday and it is fantastic well worth a tenner, i even took it to the woods today and had a listen while having my brew

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I have the Degen DE13.
It has a FM,MW Sw1 &2 radio, built in led-light, usb for loading your mobile, Ipod etc and the possibility to load 3x AAA baterries.
It also has a emergency flashing light and siren in it, which is quite load.

I intend to use as an emergencyradio in case of catastrophies, not for everyday use in the woods. I prefer it to be quite there.

I would agree with that. Bought one a little while ago - all works ok at home. But outside i want natural noise - NOT Chris Evans. BTW it is also Solar powered and has a hand crank windup. All for around 18.00 including shipping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE