Wilson Tactical Monkey Fist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What would you use for throwing a light rope over a distance then?Or did you have some other use in mind.
I have used these for years for the exact purpose they were designed for and have yet to find a better method of throwing rope.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just the thing to get the line for the parachute up over a branch though :D

What do they mean by 'tactical' ? :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
It's definitely something that I would only buy in the right shade of camo.

Just imagine how easy to spot you would be if you had a plain black one. :)

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
No way would I pay for that, they are sooo easy to make, and yes, it is a very effective weapon, my father used to tell me, the bosun on his ship always carried one on board, and ashore. So that being that, and once living in a very nasty area, I made one out coir rope, in it's heart as a hard former sat a one inch steel ball bearing. Never used it as a weapon, but it was dropped out of my sleeve now and again to allow a gang of possible miscreants who were approaching and making threatening noises to see I was armed and with something they did'nt recognise. Failure to recognise a method of possible defence, or attack puts possible attackers at dis ease, they think again.

But, if I felt the need to throw a line, I would make a simple heaving line knot,based upon the hangman's noose, simply a heavy end, or why not just tie a rock on the end, as the monkey's fist takes time and a lot of cordage.

K.NYPH

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2009
Leicestershire
You don't have to buy one ,do it yourself ,click this link
www.igkt.net/beginners/monkeys-fist.php
Yes they are very useful for distance throwing and small ones make really cool light pulls for the bathroom or the end of a dog lead & many other things:yelrotflm
The method shown above is fine but for a more professional finish tie a thumb knot in the end of one of the two free ends push this knot into the middle of the monkeys fist then work the fist up tight.
:headbang:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The thumb knot in the centre was how I was taught to tie them :) Last time I used one of those juggling thuds though, a nice size and weight and the soft outer let the rope bed in around it very well.

I find that the fist doesn't need to be 'heavy', just heavier enough to give a heave with the line you intend to throw.

Thanks for the link John,

cheers,
Toddy

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
or even better,
"Call that a knot, now this is what I call a knot"

To the police officer,
"Knot what it looks like!"

and when you get caught with one remember to plead.........

"Knot guilty, my Lord."

and if you get locked up for having one in prison just remember,
"Knot my bar of soap."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those of us who make for ourselves think things like this are a rip off, but y'know........it takes materials, they need sourced and bought. It takes time to make the items, then market them, the maker needs an income and the seller needs to cover his costs, pay his staff and make a bit of a profit.........it all adds up :sigh:

It's like buying a meal in a restaurant, it's not the food that's expensive, it's covering the costs of the building, the utilities, the staff from the chefs to the cleaners, the raw materials for dinner to the cutlery and crockery and nappery used, council tax and insurances, etc., etc..

cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm bringing lighter line for attaching to the arrow next year.

I saw the monkeys firs on hennie, my first thought was, "I can do that cheaper"
i might get the scouts doing it for me :bandit:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
just wondering, why do you need to throw a line over a long distance??
the only thing i can think of is to put a line up in a tree to make a paracuite shelter. there is a far easier way of doing that which is to get a very long stick such as a bit of hazel with a fork in the end. tie a rock or a heavy bit of wood to the end of the rope then use the pole to poke it over the branch.

i use this alot in tree surgery when i need to advance my line higher in the tree exept i use a carabiner in place of the rock and a hook on the pole (window cleaner's type pole) so i can pull it back to me. far easier than messing about with throw lines imo.

pete

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
What a total pain in the bum these are to make :eek:
It's been alluding me for months and months to make one, i finally get the loops right and poof" it all goes pear shaped!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE