Wilson Tactical Monkey Fist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I made the chain, and have a similar one on my wallet, and a thinner one on my mobile phone. If I get asked, I just say I am a chain mailler and what better way to display my work, I have had a fair few enquiries from wearing them.

The green tinge on the chain, is ammonia patination.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A monkey's fist with a steel ball in the middle? I always thought that sort of thing was a big no-no. As I recall, the guide I learnt to tie them from said never to put anything hard in the middle, and if you did, any dock-hand would be well within his rights to cut it off on sight. A wad of oakum does the job just fine, and doesn't risk cracking somebody's skull.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A monkey's fist with a steel ball in the middle? I always thought that sort of thing was a big no-no. As I recall, the guide I learnt to tie them from said never to put anything hard in the middle, and if you did, any dock-hand would be well within his rights to cut it off on sight. A wad of oakum does the job just fine, and doesn't risk cracking somebody's skull.

When I was in the Navy, we never used steel balls. We used lead. :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wonder if it's a Merchant and Royal Navy thing ? :dunno:
I do remember hearing the same thing as Gregorach, that's why we used the thumb knot and not a stone or anything solid and heavy in the middle.

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I wonder if it's a Merchant and Royal Navy thing ? :dunno:
I do remember hearing the same thing as Gregorach, that's why we used the thumb knot and not a stone or anything solid and heavy in the middle.

cheers,
Toddy

I've done more than my share of sea and anchor duty and one thing you don't want to do is fall short of the pier when you toss the monkey fist ashore. Not only will you get a lot of good horselaughs, it's no time to "monkey around" when you have to get that hawser ashore, especially if the old man ain't too good at parking the ship. Seen more than one screw guard taken out on the destroyer I was on, not to mention the damage to the pier. :lmao:

Peh. Wouldn't worry too much about weapon control laws. Offensive Weapons Act basically says if you're carrying ANY object with intent to use it as a weapon, you are breaking the law. Doesn't matter if it's a monkey fist with a bouncy ball in it (Which i bet could concuss someone easily), or one of my kittens.

It's the police who decide what a weapon is.

Sadly.

My leatherman, which i use for work, is illegal to carry in public. Technically it's OK "With good reason" (or simmilar wording), but again, it's not me who decides what a good reason is. Me not being a leather worker / shoemaker /etc it's unlikely they;d consider my line of work one in which knives come in handy.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I carry a Leatherman juice Xe6 most of the time on my belt, it along with the cell phone and sometimes my mini camera, and sometimes the ledlenser, and oh most of the time my zippo, depends what I am upto, but what I have found out, is nothing is a problem unless it is on display. Display a thing people will notice, including a bored plod keeping out of the way of obvious criminals. So that being said, I tend to wear smocks of various types when out and about, they extending below belt level effectively hide the goodies. Now, it is my thinking, if you appear to be minding your own business, don't look aggressive and are not displaying valuable and attractive objects, you will be invisible to anyone on the look out for something to steal, or something to make a point about.

But when I have the need to carry a fixed blade, be it the billhook, or the Mora, it is sheathed, wrapped in cloth and carried in my side bag, as my interpretation of the law as it stands, is I am not carrying what could be seen as an offensive weapon on my person. But, when I am fishing, stuff the law, I wear the orange handled frosts rescue knife, as entanglement in line at the waters edge is a real possibility, and my teeth are not good for chewing through line.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Peh. Wouldn't worry too much about weapon control laws. Offensive Weapons Act basically says if you're carrying ANY object with intent to use it as a weapon, you are breaking the law. Doesn't matter if it's a monkey fist with a bouncy ball in it (Which i bet could concuss someone easily), or one of my kittens.

Sort of not how to use one. Not getting involved in one of these conversations.

My leatherman, which i use for work, is illegal to carry in public. Technically it's OK "With good reason" (or simmilar wording), but again, it's not me who decides what a good reason is. Me not being a leather worker / shoemaker /etc it's unlikely they;d consider my line of work one in which knives come in handy.

No reason you cannot carry to and from work. Computer people use them.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
For that kind of money I have a special tactical sock full of pennies I will sell you. It is a black sock.

Now if you had a sock full of Penny Blacks, I'd be interested!
happy0054.gif

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
We get all sorts of sizes of ball bearing in the scrap bins at work, if any of you wants some. Up to 30mm is fairly regular. I have a couple about 65mm, 1kg is probably overkill for a paracord line.

As I understand it, uncored Monkeys Fist if throwing to or near people. Cored with pebble or BB if throwing to a clear space.

I have a 1inch cube of sintered tungsten sat on my desk that I have been wondering what to do with.. makes lead look light-weight

:lmao: So many possibilities!

My dad handled a lump of Depleted Uranium a while ago. He knew it was going to heavier than it looked but he was still suprised. I think that is the sort of material reuquired if you intended to sell something as tactical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE