Willow Basket making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 18, 2014
Beverley
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here, so forgive me if i sound a complete novice!

I have had a look at some previous threads and had a look at various websites and I would like to make a weave a log basket around 18" diameter x 12" in height.

I have seen some willow growing near our local park which is growing from what looks like last years heavy prunning - they are growing from the sides of a stump about 5". the new growth start at about 10mm diameter and gradually reduce to the tips over 1.5m.

Would the above be suitable to use for the basket?
Am I just in time to harvest now?
can I also use dogwood to go around the rim to make it look a bit fancy?
Are there any rules/laws with regards to cutting some branches off - do I need to ask local council etc?

Hope these questions are not too basic for you all and I look forward to any replys

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Mark, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have found some suitable weaving willow and you can also use the dogwood. In fact anything that can be wrapped around your hand can be incorporated into a basket. My understanding is that its best to harvest in winter when the sap is down. However If you are quick you may still be ok?
You really need to get permission (even if its just to satisfy any busybodies) and try and prune the tree as neatly and professionally as possible.

Once you've cut the willow let it dry (This helps with a closer weave later on). Then before using soak in the bath for 24hrs.

I would recommend this book to help get you started: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handmade-Ba...&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=baskets+suszie+Vaughan

Its worth doing a course if you can afford it.

Mar 18, 2014
Beverley
ooh, that looks a really good book. I'm going to get some of the willow quickly then as nothing has started budding on it yet.

"Come on son were off to the park!"

(ps the area where it is is the back of the park near an old railway where no one uses, but i will still try and get through to the relevant department at the council - this could take some time, press 1 for this press 2 for that.....!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE