Will this tree survive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
It'll probably die. Leave it there and it might get its own back if the idiots have another party in the future.
Large standing deadwood is sometimes a good thing in the right place, and if theres no regular target (person car house etc) then probabaly no need to fell.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Meh. Yes its vandalism but can we please put the pitchforks and flaming torches away?

Dead trees provide a very good hunting place for woodpeckers as insects live in them.
One dead tree is a very useful habitat indeed.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yes four soldiers died but thats what happens in war (no disrespect ment) the tree was a act of vandilisem and was probley older than the scum that did it ! and as Johnthan D said "this does us no favours ! (rant over )

I think we best avoid this subject before it becomes a debate about something else, and beachlover has already apologised for a knee jerk reaction no doubt fuelled by a subject which is close to his heart.

To get back on track.... several trees and large areas of heathland have been destroyed close by me. The destruction was more than I could do with a few mates in a week. I also found two garden spades cached in the woods with some petrol and a small can of meths. The fire brigade were called and put out the fire before it spread, but it looks like they will return before too long (although they may have trouble finding their cache as I gave them to the landowner).

I was also told that a local National Trust site by me, in which I manage the local reptile population, had the picnic tables burned and big mess left everywhere. It's no wonder landowners dislike people camping out on their land and our rights get tightened all the time.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I just dont understand why peaple burn and wreck everything ???? probs wont ever will .

Kids out to have a bit of fun. They just don't see the bigger picture and see that trees are living breathing things too. Busy getting wasted and planning their next move on the person they fancy whilst tanking themselves up at the same time on cheap foul tasting cider. Problem is, there is not much emphasis on nature in schools anymore and kids are growing up thinking that the country is something you go to on the weekends or on hot days, and it is the country encroaching on normality in the form of 'weeds' and 'dangerous foxes' rather than the other way around. Us humans eh?

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i remember reading/hearing somewhere that the roots and heartwood of trees can smoulder for weeks. thats how that big redwood got hollowed out wasnt it?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
if the bark hasnt been ringed by the fire then it should hopefully continue for years yet. the sap rises just underneath the bark and a couple of inches can be enough to keep it going if it can absorb enough moisture through the leaves. watch it over summer and see how the top cover fares.

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Kids out to have a bit of fun. They just don't see the bigger picture and see that trees are living breathing things too. Busy getting wasted and planning their next move on the person they fancy whilst tanking themselves up at the same time on cheap foul tasting cider.
Sentence 1: Yep
Sentence 2: I do!
Sentence 3: Probably

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE