Will these work with Army Trangias?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
Hello, everyone. I live in the States and Trangias and accessories are rarely (if ever) found here in stores, though I can order them through internet catalogs. I wanted to get some extras for my Swedish Army model Trangia. If I could examine these pieces at a store I would not have to ask for information here. I e-mailed an internet supplier my questions but they did not know.

My questions are:

1. Will the Trangia simmer rings fit and function properly with Swedish Army model Trangias?

2. Do the currently produced Trangia "O" rings fit the Army model?

Thanks for reading!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure about the simmer rings but you can probably pick up a rubber O rings from a hardware store for about $1

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
My lid broke on the army burner I bought a simmer lid and replacement lid for a civvy burner and it didnt fit!!.

But I ended up buying a civvy burner and that came with a simmer ring and o ring it was 8 euros! from a local camping shop

Simon

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
This news is disappointing. I think that a home made simmer ring for the Army Trangia might make a fun project! Either that or get a new Trangia with the simmer ring.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've never understood the fascination with the "Army Trangia". We were initially issued them, but were ever so happy when we talked them into an upgrade to the military stove the resembles the real Trangia. More efficient, two pots, better skillet, about the same weight (compared to a steel potted version). The only time old stuff was better was if you were going to cook over an open fire.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've never understood the fascination with the "Army Trangia". We were initially issued them, but were ever so happy when we talked them into an upgrade to the military stove the resembles the real Trangia. More efficient, two pots, better skillet, about the same weight (compared to a steel potted version). The only time old stuff was better was if you were going to cook over an open fire.

You are 100% right, the Army Trangia is a poor setup all round, the stove you talk about is a much better setup and I use the proper Trangia pans over a fire without problem. I also do not understand the 'Bushcraft' fascination with this inferior kit, its over heavy and slow and there is no way I would ever consider using one on a trip. I have kept one Aluminium and one stainless steel version in my stove collection but thats where they stay, as part of a collection and not for serious use.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You are 100% right, the Army Trangia is a poor setup all round, the stove you talk about is a much better setup and I use the proper Trangia pans over a fire without problem.

The nice thing for me about the oval pots is that it is cheap and pretty much indestructable. Thus I have one tossed into the back of my car, with a firesteel, a chunk of birchbark and some cordage inside. I wonder if I can cram in a small knife as well, that would be a ok:ish "PSK" to keep in the car, perhaps adding a poncho and a capote.

But as my main stove? No way, the regular Trangia is a better EtOH stove, and a Zebra is a better billy for open fire.

I have a few, bought in case I would eer teach a course where having smallish open fire pots for the students would come in handy. At SEK 20 or 30 (can't recall) it was a good deal.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Must say i like the Army model. I have three and in total they cost less then £20 . OK they may not be the quickest stove in the business but they are tuff and reliable, in my experience any way. If you want ultralight ultrafast you will pay a lot more. But when i am out and about I like to relax a couple of minutes quicker boil time is not important to me.

Mark

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Yep I've got to disagree, I love the Army Trangia it's a great all rounder and works well over a fire. You are also able to use the bottom part as a hobo and burn wood, the civvy version I reckon would melt if you did that. I also tend now to use the Tatonka burner which I feel is a better burner, though similar to the original, which you can get dirt cheap from Lurch's site Lakeland Bushcraft, but is I feel superior in most ways. Yep you can't beat the bombproof Army version. You may find it just as cheap to buy the whole army kit as trying to source a new burner it might be a bit slower but so is my pace of life out in the woods, for me it's the journey rather than the destination as a very wise man once said.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE