Will there be snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 24, 2016
Gateshead
Hey guys what do we recon do you think we will see snow this year last winter was a mild one by all accounts well for me in the north east. I think we may see quite a bit in to December.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd love some, it's been a few years now. It's less common here so a novelty, I still get that feeling of wonder when I look out in the morning. Or better, wake in the night and see that different light coming in through the curtains, and check, and Yay! I just love it :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I have all the gear other than the stove which comes on Friday, so I hope there is snow. I want snow. Or just really cold, that'll do me. A good environment to test my kit... the more snow the better :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've order a titanium stove from Lite Outdoors... the gent shipped it out with 24 hours of recieving my order, arrives here in the UK on Friday... long as I pay customs and duty, I'll be baking cakes by Saturday! :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
12227055_1013871501985359_744204262607016951_n.jpg

15027755_10154898678753816_9068254368799051487_n.jpg

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Yeah I'd love some snow this year. We left Alaska in 2009 and haven't really seen any good snow since. A half inch ice storm while we were in North Carolina doesn't really count. However the St Patricks day snowfall in Anchorage was, shall we say, 'interesting' 30" in 36 hours and it was the heavy wet stuff. That was the first and only time Anchorage had a snow day. It doesn't inspire confidence in the city when you see this dirty great big road grader stuck in a snow drift.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
We've got snow in the hills the past few days and its been on and off in town. Yesterday it was a good -2 / -3 all day but warmer today with temps of about 4.

Hopefully we'll get snow or proper cold soon to get rid of this 'damp cold'

Tonyuk

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys what do we recon do you think we will see snow this year last winter was a mild one by all accounts well for me in the north east. I think we may see quite a bit in to December.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Already had plenty up here in Scotland. Luckily it's all gone for now and I hope it stays gone - I drive for a living and snow is a real downer when I get a rural run.

The only time I like snow is when I'm camping, or have a board strapped to my feet ;)

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I'm planning a Knoydart trip with my brother at the end of January, so I'm definitely hoping for snow. Definitely an improvement on horizontal rain.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Some of the rags are reporting (as per usual), a cold Arctic winter. Express, Mirror and Star front pages today.

Mind you, they usually report heatwave and Indian summers, I'm not holding my breath.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I know meteorology isn't an exact science at best but you'd think with billion pound computer prediction models they could get it right once in a while.

This is the only 100% reliable weather system. :):lmao:

[video=youtube;z3GYXUKwjhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3GYXUKwjhM[/video]

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Most weather cannot be predicted beyond 10 days even in the best circumstances; the UK sits in an area with very very complicated weather systems, even 7 days can be wrong because of the way the jet stream shifts, buffeted in every direction by cold dry air and warm wet air, in varying amounts

The daily express predicts snowmagedan every single year :lmao: ...there is little in that paper that should be taken seriously tbh lol

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Scarfell, you beat me to it!

Many years ago whilst training for the JSMEL winter (SMLTB) I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some time with RAF meteorologists.

They said practically the same as you - quote, "If anyone tells you that they can accurately predict UK weather more than 48 hours ahead - laugh!" In fact during the training and courses in both Scotland and Norway it was nearer to 24 hours. As you state there are so many variables a prediction can be wrong before its even broadcast.
(Apart from during large, slow moving systems or stable high pressure perhaps). Does make you wonder about all that computer and radar malarchy! I tend to view the long range weather forecasts in the UK a bit like astrology. Still, the weather presenters are easy on the eye! :lmao:

Incidentally TonyUK - I was always taught (and went on to experience often) that weather-wise the wet cold of the Scottish highlands could be far more dangerous than the dry cold of the Alps and Scandinavia -so I now where you are coming from.

Bring the cold and snow on - let's have a real winter for a change.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE