Will there be snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Yes! If you sing this :)

"snow snow faster ally ally aster" "snow snow faster ally ally aster" "snow snow faster ally ally aster"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too. My family are reckoning either I've really lost it this year with the squirrelling or we're going to be snowed in.

We'll see. It's been -4C for the past few nights, and the days are down to about eight hours at most and the temperature hasn't risen much above freezing. It was snowing up the valley just the other day though it didn't come to anything.

I get fed up of the cold wet dark and overcast Winters. I like the crisp hard cold bright ones an awful lot better.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've order a titanium stove from Lite Outdoors... the gent shipped it out with 24 hours of recieving my order, arrives here in the UK on Friday... long as I pay customs and duty, I'll be baking cakes by Saturday! :D

Ah, now when you said stove, I reckoned on a Ti gas jobby. I've just done the google, that thing is gorgeous :35:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
-8C here night before last, -6C this morning, but it's only -2C just now.
We haven't had snow, but further up the valley has and the hills are white.

M

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Not sure if we will get snow this year? the temperatures are all over the place a couple of weeks ago it was -6c in the South East and within a couple of days the temperatures have gone up to 12c even as I am writing this it's 01:30 and it's 11c crazy temperatures for this time of year!

D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've often thought that this is what "climate change" really means. Unexpected highs and lows and precip.
End of November 2014, we got 36-40" snow in one night.
Last winter, it should have snowed into late March. Quit early February. Dry as dust after that.
My grape vines flowered in a hot spell in April then a week of -10C nights froze it all off.
All my cuttings for new vines (200+) all frozen.

Right now, we in the middle of 15(?) nights of -25C and colder.
Old timers say it's the worst in many years.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wild swings is right.
I was throwing snowballs in Leeds in the first week of November, the week before that I was walking around Edinburgh (200miles further north) in a T-shirt.
Now temperatures are back up to 11-12C during the day.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+14C in my garden today. I have literally been wearing Summer clothes again.
-26C sounds fun, for all of a couple of hours :) Stay warm and safe :D

We put up the led light tree thing outside last night….it looks decidedly unfestive sitting there in the mud :rolleyes:

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Two hours of -26C and I'll lean you up against the fence to thaw out in April!
Not all that hard to dress for it but to get anything done outdoors, -25C and colder sucks the ambition right out of me.
Of course, nothing ever goes wrong with a vehicle above -20C. Last Friday night's -25C new battery was $200.

No contest here, Trotsky. My bedroom windows are frozen shut.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not all that hard to dress for it but to get anything done outdoors, -25C and colder sucks the ambition right out of me.
Of course, nothing ever goes wrong with a vehicle above -20C. Last Friday night's -25C new battery was $200.

:D
I didn't mean it that way RV, just from over here that cold sounds 'interesting', but I'd bet that after a couple of hours of the reality of it that we'd be happy that we were indoors.

It's December, the middle of Winter, and I've been bitten every single day this week in the garden. The damned midgies aren't dead yet :sigh: I am beyond scunnered of this, I really am.
I killed a slow moving cleg on Monday too.
It's all rather scary just how many of the buggits are still active.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's OK, I don't mind at all. I tend to take this too seriously to keep stuff working and running and not self destructing.
You have to do it to believe it. After dark just seems all the more worse.

If it's any consolation, there's no mud and no bugs until April/'17.

You get all rugged up. I'll lend you an Eddy Bauer parka too hot for warmer than -20C.
My snowmobile boots would fit a Yeti.
Out you go. Clomp, clomp. clomp!
Now I want you to describe what you think is happening to the lining of your nose.
Trust me, the freezing and crumpling sensations are not fatal.

cbrdave: Is you little van open all the way to the back?
Put a bunch of closed cardboard boxes back there.
The remaining air volume is faster to heat.

Last edited:

Trotsky

During my first winter in arctic Norway temperatures like that were almost fun in a way, though that might sound perverse. By the time we got around to the 3rd of May the next year and woke to 3 feet of snow I'd had more than enough! My last winter there I was cycling to work in -20 and snow and not thinking anything of it. Apart from the winter of 2010-2011 we don't really get anything like that here in England, my experience of those low temperatures certainly did change my attitude to how I dress in winter. Most people over here simply would not be able to cope with what you're facing there.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The absolute worst feelings of "cold" have to be downtown windy Vancouver in January, +4C and slatting rain.
Maybe it's the humidity but you can't get away from it.

I was a little kid on the Canadian Prairies, we commonly got a month of -40 (C or F, that's where the scales cross.)
Just freakin' brutal. I'm old, even this -25 to -30C stuff ain't funny. Left my cane in the truck.
Went into a store, took my gloves off and the dang cane was still -25C!!!

But, I have the clothing to dress for it. So I do. Then some intellectual giant asks me: "Are you cold?"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See that Vancouver, +4 and wind and rain ?….that's pretty much Scotland's usual Winter weather.

My Granny's sister married a Canadian fellow during the war. Went home with him afterwards to Toronto. Aunt Memie spoke of never, ever, touching bare metal with bare hands in Winter, of snow drifts so deep you could disappear in them.
When my little brother and I were very young she sent us down ski suits :D We looked like mini Michelin men, but oh, we were warm :) and anoraks/parkas (novelty those here then) and soft leather moccasins. Mum sent her Aunt fine Scottish woollens every Christmas and birthday…..note the common theme; warmth :D
I like a cold, bright, Winter, but ours are usually cold and wet and overcast :sigh: Not always though, and we live in hope :)

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't suppose that you ever need to "plug in" your vehicles, the engines aren't equipped with block heaters?
There's a 454/7.6l V8 in my 3/4T GMC Suburban. Tough crank in extreme cold, even with synthetic oil. Plugged in over night, like summer!
Gotta roll the old transmission for a minute, it isn't heated and is unhappy.

There's little novelty left in winter for me. The thrill has worn off my snow shovel.
I do like it for all the animal tracks. The owl that maybe scored a mouse in the back yard snow,
the front snow is totally stomped up with my size 12's, deer tracks and the Ravens.

We find "snow domes" maybe 12" high, 48" across. Snow over a brushpile, do not step on it.
Lean over and look down at the top = usually a little chimney lined with exquisite ice feathers.
Some small animal is roosting under there to endure the cold spells. Walk on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE