Wilkinson Sword/Allan Wood Woodlore Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Doc said:
I am very tempted to invest in a Micarta version (well, after I've got over December's bills anyway).
Has anyone got one yet? What do you think? It's apparently not handmade - is the blade somehow different? Is there any advantage with either price or speed of delivery in ordering direct from Wilkinson? How much do Wooflore and Wilkinson charge for postage?

W-S charge for postage, last thing I got cost a tenner via a courier with no Saturday delivery so I had to wait four days!!! Woodlore don't charge. Wouldn't have thought there'd be much difference in speed though, unless W-S have sent all available items onto Woodlore and not saved any for themselves.

Colin KC

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 21, 2003
The Bottom of England
Mine arrived bright & early this morning, NO speckles :lol: :p

The sheath is good & deep, finish is better than acceptable on a production piece of leather & fit of the knife is firm. I'd extend a hearty 8/10 for the sheath :-D

I have only two criticisms for the actual knife (& one of those doesn't affect me :wink: )

One is that, if you have bigger than average hands (mine are about average) it will seem like a toy to you, the handle is slim, with no flair of the otherwise perfect Micarta scales towards the blade & this makes me feel a teensy bit scared when grasping near the blade

The other criticism is that the finish is not one hundred percent (silly of me to expect it really :roll: ) some of the Micarta isn't finished well near the blade & the "front" ends are slightly uneven, the edge of the blade is slightly unfinished near the tip, but this is a very minor gripe & can be fixed in two shakes.

All in all, not a bad package for low-end custom money, you get a well designed knife, well executed & with two famous names on it (one of them producing the finest knife to come out of it's hallowed doors in many years.

Well done Ray Mears & Wilkinson Sword :-D

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Mines on its way from W-S too.
:)
Posted yesterday for delivery today B4 12........am currently "working from home", with anticipation.......

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I know that mine arrived at 8 this morning, I know it's in the house, I'm just not allowed it until Christmas. It's a present from my wife and she's told me I can have it on the 25th and no amount of grovelling and pleading will change that. I'm sure that this is some form of torture, but she says that it will make it all the more special.

Enjoy

Brian

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Stick with it man, you can cope...Unless she means Christmas 2004..Ahh Brian, go get it, just sneak it and stroke it, you can always say the bushcraft gods forced you :z:

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I ordered my Alan Wood version in, I think, May and it will arrive end of Jan. I was feeling so self-righteous about my patience, but if I knew it was in the house and I couldn't have it I'd have to stay at work permanently!

You have all got me "unpatient". I'm just living off your reviews/excitment about the arrival of your knives. I hope you all get them before/at Christmas.

Perhaps we should rename this string as "Little Boys and Bushcraft"?

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
It's here....it's here. Arrived all nicely packaged with bubble wrap and a box.

The sheath is very nice, and the knife sits very snug inside. The knife itself is very nice to handle, fits my smallish hands very well, so I can see what Colin KC means about if you have larger hands etc. Looks like it will do the business for which it was intended so now all I need is a couple of hours outdoors to give it a go.

I like it very much. Here's hoping the rest arrive with you all soon too.[/img]

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks for all this info - my hands are pretty average size (7 and a half in glove size) so maybe a good choice.

Any pictures available (other than that on Woodlore's site)?

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I tried to add one but couldn't work out how. Not a very good one, but enough to give you an idea, but not much better than the one on the woodlore site really.

Be happy to add one or two if someone tells me how :oops:

[/img][/url]

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Just read the FAQ's and I won't be able to post piccys I'm afraid.
I'm sure once his Micarta version arrives, Martyn might be persuaded to post some pics similar to his great Birds Eye Maple ones.... won't you Martyn?

JohnB

Nov 26, 2003
Lancs. / West Yorks.
My Micarta handled knife arrived today. :-D
I'm very pleased with it and the sheath.
The blade has a smooth, mirror-like finish with no speckles - I think Martyn was just unlucky.
The handle fits my middling size hands well.
There was a slight nick in the edge towards the point, but as I thought the blade needed sharpening anyway that was no problem.
My opinion: good value.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE