Wilkinson Sword/Allan Wood Woodlore Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Some of you may have seen the new Wilkinson Sword versions of the Allan Wood Woodlore knife on Ray Mears' site. My question is: what is the major difference between the Allan Wood and Wilkinson Sword versions? They both seem to be the same shape/size and the steel is - I assume - pretty much the same too. The Micarta-handled blade is also about 60 and 100 quid less expensive than the Bird's-eye Maple handle and Allan Wood pieces respectively.

The fact that the Bird's-eye Wilkinson Sword blade is not that much cheaper than the Allan Wood blade might suggest that they are pretty much on a par. Is this the case?

I can only think that the Wilkinson Sword knives have much less waiting time if you want to buy one; however, if the Micarta-handled blade has 90% of the functionality of the Allan Wood blade for half the price, it does seem an attractive option.

What say you?

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Mikey P said:
I can only think that the Wilkinson Sword knives have much less waiting time if you want to buy one; however, if the Micarta-handled blade has 90% of the functionality of the Allan Wood blade for half the price, it does seem an attractive option.

What say you?

Get yourself over to British Blades and have a look at the Felleskap blade by Trond, a Norwegian bladesmith. The blade shape is his interpretation of Mears' design, and I think a little more aesthetically pleasing. He supplies just the blade, which you can put a handle on yourself, or there is at least one person on British Blades who'll make you a handle

Oh and you'll not only save a packet, but also have that warm feeling when you finish the knife yourself

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nick Wheeler made this one and Jamie Knowlden put the scales on. The sheath was made by Jamie Briggs. The blade is made of O2 (awesome heat treat by Nick, a true rising star in the knife world) and he ground the blade with a tapered tang which gives it great balance. The overall cost is 1/3 what Mears charges for his Woodlore. The downside is that there is a waiting list to get on the waiting list. This was a "forum knife" for a forum I used to moderate.

osfligvit2c.jpg

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
nice blade hoodoo i'm waiting for a couple of jamie's woodlaw sheaths to get to me should be here soon he has a good website well worth a look

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Mikey P said:

What say you?

Functionally, they are all identical. The micarta handled one is (or should be - we have yet to see them IRL) 100% of the functionality of all of the others. The difference is not in function, but more esoteric. The WS blades are factory made, the Alan Wood blade is hand made. As working tools, they will be or should be identical. You pay more for this hand made knife, not because it's functionally superior, but simply because it's hand made.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
grumit said:
nice blade hoodoo i'm waiting for a couple of jamie's woodlaw sheaths to get to me should be here soon he has a good website well worth a look

I think you will like his sheaths. This is one of the most solid leather sheaths I have ever seen. He's working on another one for me right now. Very snug and secure fit too.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I believe Ray approached Wilkinson sword for two reasons

1 to cut down waiting times by getting the knives mass produced.
2 to reduce cost.

I havent seen the new knives so I cant comment on them but if it were me I would still prefer to buy the old, hand made, one especially as there seems to be little or no diference in cost between those and the new factory finished ones unless to opt for a Micarta one of course.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
on a course i was on earlier this year, one of the guys took an unplanned swim with a real woodlore knife on his belt. there was a noticeable amount of swelling on the scales afterwards. i'd suggest that you get more functionality from a micarta handled version.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
sargey said:
on a course i was on earlier this year, one of the guys took an unplanned swim with a real woodlore knife on his belt. there was a noticeable amount of swelling on the scales afterwards. i'd suggest that you get more functionality from a micarta handled version.

cheers, and.

For £200 I wouldn't have expected that!

Was there any permanent damage?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
sargey said:

cheers, and.

Very possibly! ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yup, I'm tickled pink about that knife. :-D Here's another one he ground. The first one is made from 5/32" stock and this one is 1/8" stock and both are O1. I put the micarta scales on this knife. You should be able to see the tapered tang in this shot. Nick also made some of these blades by forging, which is mainly what he does. This project was something he did basically as a favor to a bunch of us who wanted full tang scandis.

OSFmicarta1b.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
sargey said:

cheers, and.

I have to say that I have taken a few dunks and mine's been fine. I've even left it in a bowl of water for a few hours and it's been ok. But there again mine may be impregnated with oils etc from my big sweaty hands :rolmao: A self waterproofing handle....

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Martyn said:
For anyone waiting for one of the Wilkinson Sword models, "early December" has been added to the ETA.

I'm waiting on an email for the explanation.

I had the sales confirmation letter come through from Wilkys and it says Dec 19th as expected delivery date.(Micarta version)

While speaking to WS when waiting for my Dartmoor I was really surprised to find out that there's only about a dozen blokes in total working in the factory producing these knives, so have some pity on them as there must be hundreds of orders in for the RM knives, plus all the other stuff they have on.

I sort of take the delivery time with a pinch of salt now. I figure the longer I have to wait, the more I'll appreciate it.............as long as its before Xmas!! :wink:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I emailed woodlore about the delivery. Here's their response.

"Hi John

We are waiting on Wilkinson Sword. Sorry! They had a problem with the USA supplier and have had to source another supplier, which they have done so they should be with us shortly. "

USA supplier !!!!

I wonder what for?

cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE