Why no Production Skookum Bushtool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It is so tricky. There are different regimes and they are so closely specified, case to case, that transgressions are frequently not worth pursuing legally.

Thinking of the Skookum as crafted, as an art object, something that kind of aligns with principles of making that are valued in bushcraft: Different types of standard apply in the arts at the same time. Some are legal issues, like copyright, others are to do with the perceived value of original or copied things and are resolved in the market. That's to say there are objective infringements (i.e. legally resolvable) and subjective infringements (eg. what someone might be prepared to pay for a painting at auction), each of which may be arbitrated, in the end, financially.

If you want to quote a line from say a poem or especially a song in an academic or any other essay and publish it, it will cost you a lot, often prohibitive amounts, especially to individual writers. Less so for large corporations. So, you can write down 'Tutti Frutti, oh rootie', publish it and you'll be fine. But if you then attribute it to Little Richard, you open yourself up to copyright infringement.

(Little Richard happens to be one of those figures who more or less invented rock & roll, but benefitted from it hardly at all.)

So, there might be a case that if someone copies a Skookum Bushtool and calls it someting else, makes it look a little different, it could avoid actual infringement. We already knew this, I think. But we have names for people who do that. We call them copyists, second-rate or derivative (if we are being polite) or an actual godsend, if we want a cheap version of something (or want to hear a song performed live in a pub). In a sense all clones, fakes, copies and forgeries are OK so long as there is no direct, provable infringement. But, we also know that its not OK, not really, not in the real world. We don't really think that it is OK. Unless of course, as individuals, we don't much care or it particularly suits us not to think about it, even argue against it.

What is disappointing about this area is, first, we are talking about small-scale, knife makers; one-man operations. These aren't wealthy corporations who make exclusive objects and then price them out of the hands of those that can't afford them, only to release a cheaper, shoddier, licensed version later. My point is that, in a sense, Rod 'Skookum' Garcia is one of us. He isn't the owner of a major business. The second reason to groan here is the speed with which we are able to turn to lawyerin' when we want a cheap clone of something, but otherwise clap wildly when someone invents some iconic thing that fits in with our particular set of interests. Of course, in Garcia's case, we are doing both things simultaneously.

We don't know if Garcia and/or Kochanski have/had a copyright on the Skookum. If they do/did, we don't know the nature of it, or why they seem not to have exercised it. If they don't have an agreement, maybe they just thought people would be civil and ordinarily decent about things. Possibly jaded, maybe they thought it simply wasn't worth it; copyright protections being so easy to slide round.

There's another ironic dimension to this. The copies of the Bushtool that I have seen are often more expensive than Garcia's. That might put the whole issue in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yeh, to be clear, my post was not making any moral point at all; just pointing out that I doubt if Mors had any legal claim to the design if all he did was say what he thought would make a good knife!

I very much doubt if any knife design is protectable - a new heat treatment process, or something, probably - a piece of sharpened, hardened steel, held between two pieces of handle material or glued into a solid piece, or other such tang designs, no, most probably not.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmmm ... did a pic search "Skookum bushtool", the variation one gets under that name is considerable. Very large in fact. The only thing somewhat unique in the definition seems to be that the cutting edge should be curved all the way. Not unheard of but not every knife has it even not all shown under the name. The other requirement not all have is "strong pommel", well understood in a working knife and tool. Full tang seems to be preferred going a bit south, does not affect the working characteristics much.

So what is the hullabaloo about?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE