Why no Production Skookum Bushtool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
As per the title, why is there no standard production model Skookum from one of the big makers?

All versions are of the handmade or boutique maker types with many custom choices but no Benchmade or Kershaw version made en - masse of an acceptable steel, plain jane handle materials and a passable approximation of the neck sheath.

Is it a lack of exposure or demand-or even a patent issue?

For that matter why no production Woodlore that is at an acceptable price like the old Wilkinson Sword micarta ones?

I know there are close approximations but no exact copies.

I, for one, would like to see the prices, and availability, of the bushcraft classics (I'll add in the Spyderco Bushcrafter) be brought further down on the field usability scale and not the collectable icons brought out for worship.

I started off mentioning the Skookum as it seems to fit my criteria for an outdoor fixed blade.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Merely my own opinion; I would never buy such a knife. It´s one of the most boring and unapealing knifemodels I have ever seen. Even the old school red painted woodhandle Mora is more appealing. Perhaps because it was my first knife as a little boy.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think there are several factors when it comes to the Skookum. There is some overlap with the Woodlore, but not all the same.

Before a big manufacturer makes a knife they want to understand what the knife is for and how it is meant to work. "Bushcraft" is such a nebulous idea that it can be hard to explain it to people who are steeped in the ideas of using knives for hunting, defence, general utility and camping. Mors is gone and the people that know most about his ideas on knives are people who have been making them, like Rod Garcia. A company would need someone with that knowledge to work with them.

If a company approached me and asked me to help them do a Skookum, I would be reluctant. It is Mors' ideas and Rod's design and any manufacturing should benefit them.

Knife shapes cannot be patented, so that would not be a sticking point.

When Spyderco set out to do the BushcraftUK knife, they talked about the challenge of shaping the handle, and of getting the blade grind right. Now of course Mora prove that you can crank out Scandi grinds, so how hard can it be....but if your process for all other production is aimed at secondary bevels at 40deg TIA, doing a big bevel zero edge at 24deg is a challenge.

Benchmade do a Bushcrafter. It has a sabre grind and a steep secondary bevel. Same with their Puukko and Leuku. The handle on their bushcrafter is really blocky and they used S30V steel, which is not a particularly good choice for a bushcraft knife due to less than stellar edge stability at low angles. It looks as if they do not "get" what a bushcraft knife should do. Too far removed from the norm.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think the Condor Woodlaw is a Skookum Bush Tool copy for the common man.
You also can get just the blade and shape the handle yourself it's even polished.
So far I understood the steel is rather soft but otherwise the owners seem to like them.

Knife Specifications
(Makers description)

knife length
SBT 8.5 inches / 21,5 cm
Woodlaw 8.6 inches / 21,8 cm

blade width
SBT 1 inch / 2,6 cm
Woodlaw 1 inch / 2,6 cm
(Source for Woodlaw is Knives & Tools)

blade length
SBT 4.25 inches / 10,5 cm
Woodlaw 4 inches / 10,14 cm

blade thickness
SBT 0.125 inches / 3 mm
Woodlaw 0,1 inches / 3 mm

handle length
SBT 4.25 inches / 10.5 cm
Woodlaw 4.6 inches / 11,66 cm

handle width
SBT 1.125 inches / 2.85 cm
Woodlaw 1 inch / 2,6 cm (seems so)

handle thickness
SBT 0.85 inches / 2.2 cm
Woodlaw ?

knife weight
SBT 6.4 oz. / 185 g
Woodlaw 7,4 oz. / 210 g

sheath weight
SBT 2.8 oz / 80 g
Woodlaw ?

Condor Woodlaw:
Material:
1075 High Carbon Steel
Handle: Micarta®
Sheath: Hand Crafted Welted Leather

What I can't find are the sharpening angles.
It would be very interesting if they are (nearly) identic too.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
As per the title, why is there no standard production model Skookum from one of the big makers?

All versions are of the handmade or boutique maker types with many custom choices but no Benchmade or Kershaw version made en - masse of an acceptable steel, plain jane handle materials and a passable approximation of the neck sheath.

Is it a lack of exposure or demand-or even a patent issue?

For that matter why no production Woodlore that is at an acceptable price like the old Wilkinson Sword micarta ones?

I know there are close approximations but no exact copies.

I, for one, would like to see the prices, and availability, of the bushcraft classics (I'll add in the Spyderco Bushcrafter) be brought further down on the field usability scale and not the collectable icons brought out for worship.

I started off mentioning the Skookum as it seems to fit my criteria for an outdoor fixed blade.
The American Knife Company produced a poorly attempted copy once. I think they were one of Mike Stewarts companies (of Bark River 'fame'). That guy is really in the business of ripping of other peoples designs. Not sure they still exist: blog with review.

Reactions: scruff and kelly1

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
So far I understood the Ka-Bar BK62
is apart from the handle screws a 100% copy of the original Kephart knife.

And it's not the only one.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you pay attention you will find that everybody said, that the classical woodhandle Mora knives weren't far away from being the optimal survival knives if they would have a thicker blade and full tang construction. You actually find videos where you see Mors Kochanski using them.

You can find at YouTube videos where Paul Kirtley and Dave Canterbury recommend the Morakniv Garberg.

It's cheap and fulfills the specifications that peple were asking for.
Although it's a hidden tang it's also a full tang.
The Nylon handle is unbreakable.
It nearly fits the specifications the Swedish air force did ask for when they ordered the Fällkniven F1. The blade is just a bit thinner but made of a very good steel.

That's in my opinion exactly the knife all experts were asking for over decades.

And what Brisa and Caström mainly offer fulfills these specifications as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Great egret

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Oddly enough, this evening I've been looking through Joker's knife range for a woodlore copy. The Ember and Nordico are in the ballpark but not quite as acute.

Ray-Mears-Woodlore-Knife.jpg

-joker-ember-cl122-(1).jpg

joker-nordico-cl115p-(2).jpg

Reactions: kelly1

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
large_1CA00015-2.jpg

Ah Woodloress.. Here is one in Bohlers K720/O2 by Adam Kornalski.. link

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have tried Skookums belonging to friends, then tried a Rob Evans Bushtool, also a friend's. If I used the same grip and motion (to carve wood) with the Bushtool that I used with the Skookum, the blade slid out of the cut without biting. There was definitely a difference in profile geometry.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE