Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The harvestman is a male Leiobunum rotundum. That weird larva thing is interesting. I'm glad you didn't post it on the What is the Bug thread, because i don't have a clue!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It is about time we had something a bit larger on here, so here's a red kite from the other day.

15011215016_8185bf5d1b_b.jpg

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Brancho your photography is amazing can you show me how to do that, brazen to ask i know but if you don`t ask................
none the less fab work.

Cheers

Scott

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Here are some shots from a wander with the dog yesterday. My dog (a mad 15 year old springer spaniel) is off the lead while taking these but he does ruin some shots by charging over the top of the subject.

Here is a yellow dung fly with a struggling meal on top of a hogweed flower that was moving wildly in the breeze.

Yellow-dung-fly-with-prey by alf.branch, on Flickr

I think this a wolf spider but I would happily be educated on that ID.

Wolf-spider by alf.branch, on Flickr

This is a hover fly larvae eating aphid surround by more meals. This to me is like a Lion sitting in the middle of a heard of sheep eating one sheep with the others waiting to be eaten.

Hover-fly-larvae-eating-aphid by alf.branch, on Flickr

A hawthorn shieldbug which I found on my leg after shooting a bee the dog charged.

Hawthorn-shieldbug by alf.branch, on Flickr

This garden spider moved off its web to pose for me I am not so happy with the lighting on this one.

Garden-spider by alf.branch, on Flickr

All comments welcome.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some absolutely cracking pictures there. Though RE the shieldbug on your leg. Are your legs really that hairy? I actually really like the spider shot you're not happy with, and I don't even like spiders - sorry Harvestman!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As usual, Alf's shots are amazing, and he sees imperfections that are not aapparent to us mere mortals.

Since I was asked, yes it is a wolf spider, genus Pardosa, impossible to say to species.

the garden spider that you are not happy with is not actually a garden spider, but a relative, Larinioides cornutus. A nice male. The giveaway for Larinioides are the white hairs on the carapace, which are not present in common garden spiders.

Now, how do I un-friend Goatboy...?

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Some absolutely cracking pictures there. Though RE the shieldbug on your leg. Are your legs really that hairy? I actually really like the spider shot you're not happy with, and I don't even like spiders - sorry Harvestman!

Thanks I think.
My legs are getting better now:eek:

As usual, Alf's shots are amazing, and he sees imperfections that are not aapparent to us mere mortals.

Since I was asked, yes it is a wolf spider, genus Pardosa, impossible to say to species.

the garden spider that you are not happy with is not actually a garden spider, but a relative, Larinioides cornutus. A nice male. The giveaway for Larinioides are the white hairs on the carapace, which are not present in common garden spiders.

Now, how do I un-friend Goatboy...?

Thanks for the ID Mike glad you like them.
Can you recommend a book on British spiders I would liek to improve my ID.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Can you recommend a book on British spiders I would liek to improve my ID.

The only one that is really out there is this one, but it is not ideal as it assumes you are using a microscope with a specimen in hand. Pictures are minimal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spiders-Bri...e=UTF8&qid=1409762811&sr=8-4&keywords=spiders

Better (but dated) is this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Country-Spi...qid=1409762928&sr=8-28&keywords=spiders+jones
which frankly I'm tempted to buy on sight because it is out of print. It is a photographic guide, so not 100% reliable, but much better for field identifications than the Roberts book.

There are some decent on-line resources too if you search. I might pm you rather than clutter the thread.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The only one that is really out there is this one, but it is not ideal as it assumes you are using a microscope with a specimen in hand. Pictures are minimal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spiders-Bri...e=UTF8&qid=1409762811&sr=8-4&keywords=spiders

Better (but dated) is this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Country-Spi...qid=1409762928&sr=8-28&keywords=spiders+jones
which frankly I'm tempted to buy on sight because it is out of print. It is a photographic guide, so not 100% reliable, but much better for field identifications than the Roberts book.

There are some decent on-line resources too if you search. I might pm you rather than clutter the thread.

Thanks for that

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I had a lot of hover flies of different varieties in the garden this afternoon and here the ones I have processed so far.

The first image was taken with my new acquired Olympus m4/3 40-150mm lens which so small and light it is ridiculous with the raynox 250. The rest of the images are with the sigma 105.

Hover-fly-1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-5 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-6 by alf.branch, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE