Wild yeast ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Does anyone know where you can obtain yeast in the wilds. I know it comes from some sort of fungus, but what sort I don't know, is yeast itself a fungus?????????????

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Jon Pickett said:
Does anyone know where you can obtain yeast in the wilds. I know it comes from some sort of fungus, but what sort I don't know, is yeast itself a fungus?????????????

As far as I know wild yeast is found naturally on fruits.
Cant say anymore than that, sorry.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Your best bet is the bloom off of plums and/or grapes. You can regognise it easily - its that dull dust like effect on the fruit, that wipes off to leave a shiny surface.
The trouble with using wild yeasts is that there are very many strains and not all with give the required/nice result - depending upon what you want to use it for.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Bardster said:
Your best bet is the bloom off of plums and/or grapes. You can regognise it easily - its that dull dust like effect on the fruit, that wipes off to leave a shiny surface.
The trouble with using wild yeasts is that there are very many strains and not all with give the required/nice result - depending upon what you want to use it for.

Never rely on a wild yeast to ferment wines. Wild yeast will only ferment to 3% alcohol and even if it did successfully ferment into wine, there is a risk of infection. :(

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Not an answer, but something to share all the same... On the day I went on bended knee in the river at Monsal Dale and became engaged to my great lady (wouldn't feel right calling her SWMBO!), we spent an entire squally, rainy afternoon picking the wild rosehips to make wine.

Anyway, following the recipe, they were an absolute nightmare to prepare, rock hard and difficult to crush, so I temporarily gave up, leaving them soaking in campden solution for a couple of days- and forgot. A few more days later and they were vinegary and bubbling- I couldn't possibly leave them after all the effort picking the b**gers! I added a proper sachet of wine yeast and got it going again, did the biz of racking etc... and a cracking wine it turned out to be!

I guess I was lucky, but the wild yeast probably save dit before it went mouldy and i chucked it all out...

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
There's a chapter in the Woodsmoke book which covers exactly what your after. I think one of the most succesful natural yeasts was collected from tree bark. My copy of the book's packed away in a box at the moment, so I can't give any more details, sorry.

Pappa

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
43 quid for a book.........no wonder your copy is packed away. I do like the recepe for the sour bread though...thank you.....looks good

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:

You could always try spitting. Many a good brew is commenced like that. Not so sure about bread, though ;) :rolleyes:

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I didn't have time to read the links in this thread, so if I'm repeating what has already been said, then sorry.

If you take a handful of flour (try to get as strong a flour as possible-Canadian/Southern Italian or Russian), or just the best you can get, then put it in freezer bag and add water to make a fairly wet paste, but not so wet that you are able to pour it,seal it well leaving room for expansion, and then the idea is to keep it warm. If you had an inside pocket this would be ideal. Then it will require perhaps 3 days to ferment and this will become your yeast to make your sour dough. It will have a strong smell but don't be put off by it.

I must say I've never tried this in the field but only under kitchen conditions. But I do know that this method of carrying flour/water mix was used many years ago.

When you make your dough by adding more flour and water and are ready to shape, break off a piece (tennis ball size) and use that for your next yeast.

Over time this will grow and become an efficient yeast (biga).
My Dad uses this method all the time and the bread is really good.

Just to ask a question: How do you go about making an oven?

Cheers, Julian.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Jjv110 said:
Just to ask a question: How do you go about making an oven?

Cheers, Julian.

Billy can on its side - put the bread in the tray horizontally - put the lid on and prop it closed with a stick. set it all on glowing coals for twenty minutes - voila - a small loaf!

Another way if you are by a river with clay banks is to build a clay oven.

Or use a dutch oven over a fire (bit heavy this one)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE