Wild yeast ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Thanks Bardster, the billy can is a good idea, but I would prefer the idea of making the clay oven so you don't have to carry the billy with you.

I wander if you could just hollow out a section of bank and try to "igloo" it out and just put the loaf on a piece of tin foil. You could build fire and then let it burn to embers and push them to one side and put the bread in. Whilst the fire is going that could be the time to place the loaf at a reasonable distance away from the flames to prove it. You'd need a couple of hours.

It would have to be clay though. And there would have to be some kind of chimeny.

Anyway, I'm out of time! Cheers, Julian.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Here in Europe we have a type of fungi that were formerly mixed with dough to turn it into sourdough. It grows on the bark of young aspen and it makes a thin crust so you will have to scrape it off. It is grey/blueish and when crushed between your hands it resembles the feel of the dry yeast that one can buy in stores.

Never tried it myself, but I have seen the fungi often.

Torjus Gaaren

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Jon Pickett said:
Wayland...........Would love to know how you used the elder for your brewing.
Thanks...............Jon

Elderflower heads can be added directly to your must and there is enough yeast on them to start things going in a day or so crushed berries do the same, just like grape skins in traditional winemaking.

For the rice, just wash the rice and use the rinsing water. It's stuffed with yeast.

Think Elderflower champers, Elderberry wine and Sake.

You could also use grapes of course, The bloom on the outside of the berry is mostly yeast. I imagine bluberries would work too. :beerchug:

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Jon Pickett said:
43 quid for a book.........no wonder your copy is packed away. I do like the recepe for the sour bread though...thank you.....looks good

I think I only paid £10 for my copy, although to be honest, I don't even think it's worth that. I would advise against anyone paying £43 for one.

Pappa

D

Don'tkillbill

I've gotten some yeast in a starter using rye flour and blueberries. I mix the two with a little water and a touch of sugar. ANyway 3-4 days later there was a thin layer of alcohol on the top of the solution. I didn't make enough and used it sparingly making a really dense bread.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Hi don'tkillbill,

If you use only rye flour, the dough won't rise very well. It'd be better if you made a starter using a portion of wheat flour mixed with some rye flour. And then it might be better to add the flavours into the actual mix rather than the starter.

Julian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE