Wild Swimming. - Cold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We were swimming in the Dee last weekend on our woods trip. Bracing.... Like to "dunk the junk" in the words of Mr Haze on each of our trips. Health benefits are well documented. Although knowing that doesn't make it any easier to take the plunge!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We used to do a summer rugby training camp in Nidderdale (a long time ago!) - after a cross country run over the moors we were made to dive straight into the deep pools of the river; I can well remember the true shock of the event.

As a teenager, I dived into a Scottish river deep pool and passed out with the shock; my brother had to pull me out.

Two years ago I did a fast water rescue course - deep flood water rescue on the river dee. It was exhilarating, fun, and very worth while (I recommend anyone that plays on or near water to do it). When we first got to the river we thought there was no way we'd be going in (it was moving very fast) - at the end of the day we were volunteering to jump in to act as the rescue subject :) However, we were also told about the dangers, especially cold water shock.

Yes, it has proven health benefits but also documented fatalities - take care folks.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I too swam regularly in the sea all year round when I was a volunteer life guard sixty years ago and can attest to the health - giving effects.

I note with interest, however, that contributors to this thread would appear to have a high average age. I do hope some younger members will post their experiences of cold water swimming so we oldies don't get the impression that we were much tougher than today's youth.

Reactions: Nice65 and Macaroon

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I too swam regularly in the sea all year round when I was a volunteer life guard sixty years ago and can attest to the health - giving effects.

I note with interest, however, that contributors to this thread would appear to have a high average age. I do hope some younger members will post their experiences of cold water swimming so we oldies don't get the impression that we were much tougher than today's youth.

Lol!!!

Nothing quite like an underhand challenge :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
My neighbour who’s retired wild swims 2 to 3 times a week all year round, riddled with health issues & swears blind it’s what keeps him going.
Apparently there’s a lot of folk doing it now as it’s good for the mind & body, said the older generation prefer to wear trunks or bathing costume & the younger generation wet suits.
Its also a something that’s been done since pre Cristian times as rivers/ lakes were cleansing & pure.
We even had god’s; goddesses & deities in our waters..

Reactions: Silverclaws2

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not entirely sure I'd call the river Eden by Wetheral yesterday Cold Water swimming, it wasn't bad for this time of year.
I took my nine year old granddaughter up there, I had a go in the fast section and bumped my backside on a rock and she had a bit of a swim about in the slower bit. On walking back I asked her if she wanted to go again sometime and her reply was "Definitely" so I'm claiming that as a success.

When I was a kid I lived up in the hills so the local beck was a LOT colder even in mid summer but we used to do that Jump in, tell our mates we were warm and toasty til they followed us in then laugh, get out and shiver under a towell thing that all kids do.

Reactions: TeeDee

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
My neighbour who’s retired wild swims 2 to 3 times a week all year round, riddled with health issues & swears blind it’s what keeps him going.
Apparently there’s a lot of folk doing it now as it’s good for the mind & body, said the older generation prefer to wear trunks or bathing costume & the younger generation wet suits.
Its also a something that’s been done since pre Cristian times as rivers/ lakes were cleansing & pure.
We even had god’s; goddesses & deities in our waters..
I live within ten minutes walk of the beach to if if I go there every day at the same time I will find the same people swimming for better mental health reasons, even in winter as it's the cold they say that's the curative.

Oh and swimming costumes only, no wetsuits

hudd4444

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2019
Kent
Check out Wim Hof(the iceman) on youtube. One of my mates has got right into his methods and doesn't stop going on about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE