Wild River with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
[/QUOTE]The relevant point, IMO, is that when Ray does actually work for the BBC, a publicly funded organisation, which fronts him, he makes a profit from the free advertising.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but it is pretty obvious to us all. The same would certainly go for the "River Cottage" shows, which I also enjoy, and so many more. I bet, though, that the advertising part was not forgotten when they were deciding what to pay him for doing the shows. There's also the fact that while I've been enthused both with the outdoors and Ray Mears' shows that I haven't chosen to actually buy anything from his site. So the advertising aspect has no significance for me personally.

The only time when subliminal advertising on shows upsets me is for example in a cooking show where the chef uses what appear to be brand new knives for some cutting which could not be achieved with the brand new knives. So a careful perusal shows that the the knives have been sharpened and polished so as to look like new. As I said, I've never bought any Woodlore stuff, but I haven't heard of any number of complaints as to it not working as shown by Ray using it in his shows.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Wild River is scheduled to be broadcast at 8 PM on Wednesday 26th August.

From Ray's website

HTH

Just to throw in my thoughts on the profit from BBC angle, Ray is hired by Aunty Beeb as an "authourative" presenter, he's shown doing his job (bushcraft instruction) with the tools and kit that he would presumably use on a group course or if he was outdoors alone, no surprise that it's the same stuff he sells on his website indeed I would find it suspicious if he was selling one item and then I saw him using something totally different.

It's a fine line for the Beeb (and it's presenters /staff ) to tread between showing what we want to see without promoting the people ( and their personal interests business what-have-you) who are showing it

Sean

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
Itv buggering up the schedule again!
Typical only evening off from work , settled down with a fine malt and a good woman for a little bit of uncle Ray , instead someone's gets bumped off in the Home Counties !��

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Has Ray ever knowing used product placement for his own financial gain??... Other than the RM swandri range? Has Ray ever knowingly...ok, maybe the Moleskin Gators...Other than, ok, maybe the Knife....Other th...ok, maybe the Mittens, but other than that, has ray ever......ok, Maybe the GB Axe.....but other than that, has....Damn it.:rolleyes::)[/QUOTE

If he didn't use the gear that he sold on his site what would that say about it? I presume everything he puts his name on he like therefore that's what he uses

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Has Ray ever knowing used product placement for his own financial gain??... Other than the RM swandri range? Has Ray ever knowingly...ok, maybe the Moleskin Gators...Other than, ok, maybe the Knife....Other th...ok, maybe the Mittens, but other than that, has ray ever......ok, Maybe the GB Axe.....but other than that, has....Damn it.:rolleyes::)[/QUOTE

If he didn't use the gear that he sold on his site what would that say about it? I presume everything he puts his name on he like therefore that's what he uses
I was having a laugh is all.

Ray as far as i'm concerned is entitled to turn a shilling as much as the next man. If he uses product placement to do this then it's fine with me.

I just want the show to start so i can buy a RM Canoe or RM buoyancy vest. ;)

This show as far as i can tell was recorded well over a year ago now, What's the hold up...Legal???

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I was having a laugh is all.

Ray as far as i'm concerned is entitled to turn a shilling as much as the next man. If he uses product placement to do this then it's fine with me.

I just want the show to start so i can buy a RM Canoe or RM buoyancy vest. ;)

This show as far as i can tell was recorded well over a year ago now, What's the hold up...Legal???
I don't know but after celebrity dog hurding you would think they where crying out for good tv shows

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE