Wild River with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I heard this weekend that he has given up bushcraft presenting as he is not keen on the way it seems to be moving in the UK - ie. into survivalism without any interest in where the skills come from, or without much regard for the earth.. Or he may just feel that's what the TV people want and he's not prepared to provide it..

That's all the more reason for a new Bushcraft series 3 to be produced. To try and bring the subject back to it's root instead of all the stupid Bear Grylls fake survival expert crap made fro n00bs that has been made since.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Given the choice, I would watch Ray split logs for three hours non stop before i would watch a 30 second trailer for BG. The only interesting program BG has done of note is the Foreign Legion one. everything else is just fake action man rubbish...Go Ray. :You_Rock_

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
Given the choice, I would watch Ray split logs for three hours non stop before i would watch a 30 second trailer for BG. The only interesting program BG has done of note is the Foreign Legion one. everything else is just fake action man rubbish...Go Ray. :You_Rock_

Well said that man.

That's just my point the bushcraft thing has not been done it's only been touched upon. Bushcraft is too vast a subject to say it's all been covered , it hasn't, it never will be it's a constantly evolving knowledge gathering process, if you believe it's all been done and there's no more to learn, why do forums like this exist and why do we visit them. A very well thought of uk instructor once said to me that if he studied bushcraft every day of his life and lived for a hundred years he still wouldn't know 1% of all there is to know, anyone who thinks they know it all is making a mockery of themselves.

He's done the 'bushcraft thing' his dozens of videos are all up on youtube and I'm sure if he was that concerned about money then one quick message to youtube and all the video's would be gone in the blink of an eye.

He's moved on, thats not a bad thing for any of us to do.

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
There used to be a programme on sky,I think it was called wild rivers, it was presented by that bloke from that's life(over 40's) Paul something or other.
He did the same thing him in a canoe. Good little series.

Just googled it and it was called secret rivers with Paul hieney.

Last edited:
I heard this weekend that he has given up bushcraft presenting as he is not keen on the way it seems to be moving in the UK - ie. into survivalism without any interest in where the skills come from, or without much regard for the earth.. Or he may just feel that's what the TV people want and he's not prepared to provide it..

I'm a fan of Ray Mears' shows, but it must take some swallowing for him to get through some. I looked at the trailer of the upcoming show with him making camp in a pleasant spot. I can remember days when I did that in Britain, camp fire and all - but I'm guessing that things are not so easy now. Too many shows have the "I’m here but you wouldn't be allowed, so just watch it on TV" aspect. I'm fine with that because I'm comparing the show with my experiences of a different time when I could go places which I couldn't now.

Outdoor shows are popular on TV now, but TV is a broadcast and money making proposition. So are they going to cater to the few bushcrafters or people in general? I think we know the answer to that with all the escalating craziness in outdoor shows. Now we really do have stuff which makes BG shows seem realistic and sensible. If you don't believe me, try "The Woodsmen".

I'd think that Ray is considering You-tube or DVD alternate media, but maybe he's had enough.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That's just my point the bushcraft thing has not been done it's only been touched upon. Bushcraft is too vast a subject to say it's all been covered , it hasn't, it never will be it's a constantly evolving knowledge gathering process, if you believe it's all been done and there's no more to learn, why do forums like this exist and why do we visit them. A very well thought of uk instructor once said to me that if he studied bushcraft every day of his life and lived for a hundred years he still wouldn't know 1% of all there is to know, anyone who thinks they know it all is making a mockery of themselves.

I never said I it all, far from it but my point is that Ray has more than likely reached viewer saturation point for Bushcraft video's...they'd just not sell in the numbers needed. Yes people on forums may buy some but would Joe Public?

As I said earlier, he's moved on and good luck to him.

You teach outdoor skills why don't you put together some professional videos? Try and sell them to a media company?

Let us know how you get on if you do.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The relevant point, IMO, is that whenRay does actually work for the BBC, a publicly funded organisation, which fronts him, he makes a profit from the free advertising.
[Which would cost in the millions]

There is something amoral in that IMO. I came to the conclusion that no-one should be allowed to make personal profits, from being publicly funded.
Be it a politician, who is using public funds to flip houses, for personal profit, for example, is another example of immorality.

Just an observation, Im still a big fan of a lot of Mr Mears progammes, and owe him a debt, for getting me involved in the subject.

But I dont think anyone, who is funded by public money, should be allowed to make personal profit from it.

Thats my two penceworth anyhow. Probably an old fashioned idea.

And thinking on it, I suppose people like David Attenborough have always published books, and made money doing so.........Mmmmmm, doesnt make it right though.

Maybe Im being a bit finnicky.....

I think what RM has done, is create the notion of the 'survival shop boutique' Whcih would have been unthinkable to some of the older generations, who bought survival gear. Which goes against his own preaching I think. Knowledge being more important than kit etc...

There is a quandry in there somewhere.

The last good one he did, I enjoyed was the Northern Wilderness series. Mainly I enjoy his younger stuff though.

In fact, in conclusion, I think if Woodlore were to become on of the cheaper schools, with cheaper courses than the competition,instead of the reverse, Id have a hell of a lot more respect for him.

Last edited:

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
"I'm a fan of Ray Mears' shows, but it must take some swallowing for him to get through some. I looked at the trailer of the upcoming show with him making camp in a pleasant spot. I can remember days when I did that in Britain, camp fire and all - but I'm guessing that things are not so easy now. Too many shows have the "I’m here but you wouldn't be allowed, so just watch it on TV" aspect. I'm fine with that because I'm comparing the show with my experiences of a different time when I could go places which I couldn't now.

Outdoor shows are popular on TV now, but TV is a broadcast and money making proposition. So are they going to cater to the few bushcrafters or people in general? I think we know the answer to that with all the escalating craziness in outdoor shows. Now we really do have stuff which makes BG shows seem realistic and sensible. If you don't believe me, try "The Woodsmen".

I'd think that Ray is considering You-tube or DVD alternate media, but maybe he's had enough."

absolutely spot on mate,

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The relevant point, IMO, is that whenRay does actually work for the BBC, a publicly funded organisation, which fronts him, he makes a profit from the free advertising.
[Which would cost in the millions]

There is something amoral in that IMO. I came to the conclusion that no-one should be allowed to make personal profits, from being publicly funded.
Be it a politician, who is using public funds to flip houses, for personal profit, for example, is another example of immorality.

Just an observation, Im still a big fan of a lot of Mr Mears progammes, and owe him a debt, for getting me involved in the subject.

But I dont think anyone, who is funded by public money, should be allowed to make personal profit from it.

Thats my two penceworth anyhow. Probably an old fashioned idea.

And thinking on it, I suppose people like David Attenborough have always published books, and made money doing so.........Mmmmmm, doesnt make it right though.

Maybe Im being a bit finnicky.....

I think what RM has done, is create the notion of the 'survival shop boutique' Whcih would have been unthinkable to some of the older generations, who bought survival gear. Which goes against his own preaching I think. Knowledge being more important than kit etc...

There is a quandry in there somewhere.

The last good one he did, I enjoyed was the Northern Wilderness series. Mainly I enjoy his younger stuff though.

In fact, in conclusion, I think if Woodlore were to become on of the cheaper schools, with cheaper courses than the competition,instead of the reverse, Id have a hell of a lot more respect for him.

'Amoral' is a bit strong there Dave.

'adjective 1. not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.

2. having no moral standards, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong: a completely amoral person.'

The beeb has certain obligations as to programme content but they also have freedom to make what are in effect niche programmes that would never be made by commercial stations.

The list of people who've appeared on the beeb in many different formats and made money is too long to list and I for one see no conflict in their moral code. Just my view. I never ever thought I'd see the day Ray was called amoral... its a sad day.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im just thinking out loud Rik. Meandering. Really I explained how the system he is part of could be considered to be amoral, which I think was fair comment.

To sum up; I dont think anyone, who is funded by public money, should be allowed to make personal profit from it.

Of course it happens all the time, and goes unnoticed. But when the spotlight is shone on an example of where it happens, we tend to see it for what it is.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nope. And Im not interested into getting into a heated debate either.

Obviously I meant above and beyond their wages. I mean that should have been really obvious actually if you had read everything.

The biggest problem in this world is Greed, as it was ever thus.

Anyway I digress wildly, and will be eagerly tuning in....

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Has Ray ever knowing used product placement for his own financial gain??... Other than the RM swandri range? Has Ray ever knowingly...ok, maybe the Moleskin Gators...Other than, ok, maybe the Knife....Other th...ok, maybe the Mittens, but other than that, has ray ever......ok, Maybe the GB Axe.....but other than that, has....Damn it.:rolleyes::)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Has Ray ever knowing used product placement for his own financial gain??... Other than the RM swandri range? Has Ray ever knowingly...ok, maybe the Moleskin Gators...Other than, ok, maybe the Knife....Other th...ok, maybe the Mittens, but other than that, has ray ever......ok, Maybe the GB Axe.....but other than that, has....Damn it.:rolleyes::)

For crying out loud, the chap is making a living :rolleyes:

With that I'm off to see the grand children after their return from Egypt...they make sense.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

Nice one :D
Couldn't hold it against him though. Despite the fact we'd all do the same, he's too nice a chap to begrudge him a good living

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE