Wild Medicine/First Aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
I'm really interested in finding out more about safe wild medicine and first aid. Does anyone have any tips they can add or resources they can point me to?

Things like chammomile or Meadowsweet as a pain reliever. The Willow for Asprin thread brought Meadowswee to light. Just the sort of thing I mean.

Or that it's possible to use honey topically to heal wounds and burns (if you can avoid the bee stings first :D). Lavender oil is also great for that but how would you use it in an immediate way? By that I mean without reducing it to an oil first? You could nibble the flowers while you think about it I guess.

Then there's using fungus for corn plasters, Dock leaves to ease nettle stings etc.

Not so much interested in stuff you can take with you as what you might be able to use on the spot.

Any ideas?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
With dock leaves a common mistake is to simply rib the leaf on the stung area, whereas what you should do is crush the leaf in you hand and squeeze the juice from it. The juice is then applied to the stings.

As for lavender, the oil is distilled from the plant in quite a lengthy process, I doubt you could improvise this in the field - I may however be wrong! :eek:

Dave

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I just read the post in the 'Trail snacks' thread about honey being used on wounds and came back to post what google found for me. Good timing Sheryl! The following article appears to be from a legitimate medical journal (with a scary title!), and is a bit technical in places, but it's still interesting and informative. The jist of what it says is that honey has proved effective in sterilising infected wounds not responding to antibiotics, and that it needs to be used in large quantities, which is awkward.

I'll quote an interseting bit: "Honey produced as a food often is not well filtered, and may contain various particles in it. Also, although honey does not allow vegetative bacteria to survive, it does contain viable spores, including clostridia. Honey that has been treated by gamma-irradiation is available commercially; this processing kills clostridial spores [86], [87] without loss of any of the antibacterial activity"

Hope that's useful! By the way, I once read a biography of aspirin that talked about it's development from willow bark. It was very interesting.

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/november/Molan/honey-as-topical-agent.html

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
This kind of bushcraft is the kind that comes with experience and spending a lot of time outdoors with the right books and the right people. There are literally thousands of useful medicinal (and edible!) plants in the UK, and learning even a handful of useful ones can be a challenge. Some people recommend that you learn different plants for each medicinal need you might have - I prefer to learn as much as possible about the plants you're likely to find in an area - knowing that dock leaves help stings and insect bites/stings doesn't help you high up on moorland!

Get yourself a good plant identification book - go out and look at plants, look them up, take pictures/collect samples (obviously take care not to upset the environmnt by doing this), re-visit them at different times of the year - consult with other references and other people, and gradually build up a good working knowledge of the plants around you. I've been learning about wild plants in this way for about 5 years now, and could probably identify between 300-500 plants and give you their uses, but I'm still finding new ones all the time that I didn't know about, especially when I visit new parts of the country/new habitats! (as for mushrooms, thats my next challenge :eek: - currently I could positively identify about 5! :rolleyes:)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Feralsheryl, I have a small book from Collins nature guides called Herbs and Healing Plants of Britain and Europe written by Dieter Podlech. Here is the ISBN number ISBN 0 26 167405 6. Its a good little book as it breaks down all the different uses of the plant from,active ingredients to uses, to homeopathy to further uses ie edible in salads etc. At the back of the book it also has a table telling you which part of the plant to use, plus when it is the best time of the year to collect the plant.

Hope this will be helpful.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
stuart f said:
Hi Feralsheryl, I have a small book from Collins nature guides called Herbs and Healing Plants of Britain and Europe written by Dieter Podlech. Here is the ISBN number ISBN 0 26 167405 6. Its a good little book as it breaks down all the different uses of the plant from,active ingredients to uses, to homeopathy to further uses ie edible in salads etc. At the back of the book it also has a table telling you which part of the plant to use, plus when it is the best time of the year to collect the plant.

Hope this will be helpful.
The book sounds ideal, Stuart. Thanks for that. May I ask where you got it from please? Amazon have it under Limited availability in other words not available and I can't find a copy anywhere online.

match, I take your point that "...This kind of bushcraft is the kind that comes with experience..." I agree but I'm only looking for a 101 on the subject here. Some of the most common, safe and easily found plants and their uses (tried and tested by the BCUK folk ideally). I figure it would be useful for a lot of other people too.:)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi FeralSheryl. I found the book in a little book shop just by chance and it was on sale for a few quid. I know this is`nt much help,i have had a look at Collins website but to no avail i`m afraid, it might be an idea to e mail them though as they maybe to point you in the right direction,or i`m afraid it`s just a case of checking out your local small book shops and crossing your fingers.

Sorry not much help i know.

May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I have selected a few common plants that are pretty unique looking so you should be ok to learn them. They can all be found round and about UK woodlands.
ONLY EVER USE PLANTS YOU HAVE POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED.

Ash (Fraxinus excelsior)
And infusion of the leaves or bark produce a laxative and diuretic effect.

Blackberry Leaves (Rubus Fructicosis)
Make an infusion and use to gargle for sore throats, has mild anti-inflammatory effect.

Chickweed (Stellaria media)
Squeeze the white juice on inflammed bites or itchy skin (Test first, some people can react to the mucilage)

Black Elder (Sambucus nigra) Elderberry
Fresh flowers can be infused to create a tea that helps to reduce fever especially flu related conditions

Eyebright (Euphrasia off.)
One of the most beautiful woodland flowers. Make an infusion and use it as an eye wash to relieve itching or inflammation.

Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia)
The plant can be infused in hot water and poured on wounds or drunk. Drinking it is a sedative related in action to morphine so it can be used to put people to sleep who are in a lot of pain (only if safe to do so) You can rub a fresh flower head on your temples to relieve headaches.

Marigold (Calendula off.)
Use an infusion to relieve conjunctivitus or apply crushed flower pulp to slow healing wounds.

Mugwort (Artemesia vulgaris)
Good for menstrual cramps and problems (avoid if pregnant) Makes a very relaxing tea

Oak Bark (Quercus Robur)
Boil the bark to make a decoction and drink to stop diahorrea or gargle to stop bleeding gums or infected mouth/throat.

Sheperds Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris)
Squish some of the leaves and put on a bleeding wound to stop it, ideal for nosebleeds. Make an infusion and drink to relieve heavy menstruation.

OK. bored now. Please check in the various on-line references for dosages etc.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Fantastic! Thanks for those FruitBat (do you mind if I call you FruitBat? Such a long name you have there). All will be noted down in my little note book by tomorrow.

May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
FruitBat is cool. There are lots more common plants but they are not easily distinguishable so I've avoided those. The ones above are pretty unique so you should be safe in identifying them.

C

Cynewulf

The book "Herbs & Healing Plants of Britain & Europe" (Collins) can be purchased on the following website - price £3.99 + £1.50- delivery charge: www.mapsonline.co.uk

Check it out Ferylsheryl - have fun!!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
All very interesting. A lot of very powerful drugs (morphine, cocaine, digoxin, vinca alkaloids, atropine) used in medicine are of plant origin. Pharmaceutical morphine is still extracted from the opium poppy. It can be synthesised but needs 27 different chemical steps so poppies are cheaper.

One problem is knowing whether a plant treatment actually works or not. Just because a plant has been used for centuries for a particular ailment does not automatically indicate efficacy. Many do work very well - I do a lot of palliative care and I'm very thankful for the opium poppy.

Digoxin (digitalis) is derived from foxgloves and has been used for centuries to treat 'dropsy' (heart failure, if I recall correctly). It is still used in heart failure (dosage is critical - it can be toxic) but even now we are not exactly sure about which patients benefit. It is probably of most benefit in combination with other drugs.
***Don't eat foxgloves!!!!! Poisonous!*****

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Dont think it got a mention yet but feverfew is good for bad headaches (have to be bad to even consider the vile tasting infusion :rolleyes: )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
dtalbot said:
Dont think it got a mention yet but feverfew is good for bad headaches (have to be bad to even consider the vile tasting infusion :rolleyes: )

Only way I can eat Feverfew is between a folded over slice of buttered bread....stops a migraine dead though if I can keep it down. Three leaves about 6 or 7cm long is a usual dose.

Cheers,
Toddy

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Toddy said:
Only way I can eat Feverfew is between a folded over slice of buttered bread....stops a migraine dead though if I can keep it down. Three leaves about 6 or 7cm long is a usual dose.

Cheers,
Toddy
Yeah it's very bitter. Quite a nasty taste actually. I've tried it just for the sake of trying it, really interested to hear you say that it actually does work.

Cynewulf said:
The book "Herbs & Healing Plants of Britain & Europe" (Collins) can be purchased on the following website - price £3.99 + £1.50- delivery charge: www.mapsonline.co.uk

Check it out Ferylsheryl - have fun!!
Cheers Cynewulf.
Tricky little sight to navigate but I found it and placed my order. :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Finding reliable sources for dosage of herbal medicines is one of the hardest parts in my experience. It is very important to understand what you are using not just in identification but how they work and how the viability of the plant changes from season to season, type of environment it is growing (shaded or full sun, soil type etc), and what is a safe dose to use. If you get it wrong then at best you may feel sick or have other mild symptoms, at worst you will die. Factor in the human element (individual metabolism, body weight etc) then the need for sound, authoritative advice is obvious. There are many sites on the Internet which offer misleading, outdated or just plain wrong information. There is nothing wrong with the net just as long as you are discerning about the quality of the source.

Here are a couple of the better sites which also provide more reliable information and also suggested dosages. Just remember even with the commonest herbs, any may have an allergic reaction to them so when first trying a new one start off with a small area of skin or ere on the lower end of any suggested dose.

American Botanical Council - The Commission E Monographs

From the site:
In 1978, the German government established an expert committee, the Commission E, to evaluate the safety and efficacy of over 300 herbs and herb combinations sold in Germany.

MONOGRAPHS
The results of the Commission E were published as official monographs that give the approved uses, contraindications, side effects, dosage, drug interactions and other therapeutic information essential for the responsible use of herbs and phyto-medicines.
Whilst plant monographs are produced by different sources and inevitably advice and detail do vary, they are reckoned to be one of the most reliable sources of this type of info.

This link takes you to an expanded list of the more common herbs, whilst no means an exhaustive list it has good info. Click on any of the links for full details:

Expanded Commission E

As an example, here is the link for:

Meadowsweet

From the site just the Use & Dose details. Read the rest too!:
Uses
The Commission E approved the internal use of meadowsweet as supportive therapy for colds.

The British Herbal Compendium indicates its use for atonic and acid dyspepsia, gastritis, peptic ulceration, and rheumatic and arthritic pains (Bradley, 1992). In France, traditional indications for use are allowed, including for fever and influenza (Bradley, 1992; DPM, 1990). The German Standard License for meadowsweet tea indicates its use for feverish common colds for which a sweat treatment is desired and also to increase the amount of urine (Bradley, 1992; Braun et al., 1997; Wichtl and Bisset, 1994)

Dosage and Administration
Unless otherwise prescribed: 2.5–3.5 g per day of cut meadowsweet flower or 4–5 g per day of cut meadowsweet herb, and other galenical preparations for infusions; a cup of the infusion drunk as hot as tolerable several times daily.

Infusion: Steep 2–3 g in 150 ml boiled water for about 10 minutes.

The second, whilst not strictly 'official' is nevertheless a good resource for the subject written by a very knowledgeable chap with loads of links, materials etc. It is quite detailed but readable Michael Moore - SW School of Botanical Medicinehttp://www.swsbm.com/homepage/. It is based in the USA so some of the herbs will not be relevant but many are.

Because books are old does not mean they are invalid indeed as medicine progressed over the 20th Century many 'old fashioned' folk medicines and medications in use for thousands of years were dropped from later medical books and research in favour of the new medicines made in a lab. So often these older books are the only practical guides for the out of fashion medicines which of course are all the rage now :) It does mean that some of the advice is questionable given more modern research but fundamentally they offer a really good starting point for wild plants we might use in bushcraft.

Hope that lot helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
It's interesting to see where these discussions lead. I'm chuffed to bits with all the help you've all given me on the herbal side. Greatly appreciated. I have quite a bit to work on now but please add more if you have further suggestions, that would be great. Cheers guys.:)

On the first aid side, I've been doing a lot of searches online and there seem to be a lot of books and courses on 'Wilderness Medicine' out there. Out of good sense and necessity I expect, these all appear to be based on a foundation of previous medical knowledge and more often than not, designed for the medical professional wanting to add to their skills. In all seriousness I fully appreciate it's definitely not something to play at.

My interest right now is in very basic 'ease the discomfort' type stuff with whatever is at hand, as opposed to more serious life saving and survival medicine at this stage. However, more and more I can see the good sense in taking a Standard First Aid course at least and sooner rather than later.

I've got a bunch of questions here, if that's ok.

Has anyone been on a specific Wilderness Medicine course? I notice Woodcraft School do one. Forgive my ignorance here bit does anyone know anything about these guys? Are they BCUK members, I wonder?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE