Wild garlic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
I was wondering which parts of the wild garlic plant are edible,Ive been eating the stalks with no ill effects but what are the leaves and flowers like ,or are they even edible?

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Both the leaves and flowers are edible, although i'm not to sure about the roots.

I have eaten the whole plant all is ok i tried tempura with the flowers and they were so strong i could not eat them but the leaves wrapped around a steak on a open fire and wow what a lovley flavour also the bulbs in winter are very nice roasted . mouth now watering need steak and wild garlic cheers

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
tip: Cooking wild garlic destroys the taste. At best, just cook them by pouring boiling water on them.

leon-1

Which type of Garlic, we have a number of variations of it. In the Bovey Valley Neil1 and I came across a large amount of hedge garlic, in my garden I have tri-corner garlic and in the woods out the back there are a huge amount of ramsons.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hedge Garlic is a member of the cabbage family (Cruciferae). Smells like garlic, and tastes slightly garlicky with mustard overtones but has no bulb. At the end of the season the tiny seeds are good & quite peppery.

All parts of Ramsons (wild garlic) are edible, the flowers being especially pungent.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Over the last few trips out,,,

Ramsons, leaves shredded in home made burgers very nice ;), flower/leaf in soup or stew is nice but add very late when cooking. Last time out Lightfoot made a lovely baste for kebabs from fine chopped ramson bulb some lemon balm, jack by the hedge leaves and olive oil....lovely.
Wild garlic, leaves are nice straight on cheese and ham butties or salads i suppose. Lovely taste to it just not had time to play with it properly yet :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE