Wild garlic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aza148

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
south yorks, penistone
So over the bank holiday weekend I've picked some wild garlic and decided to make some soup with some sweet potato.
1f773d7b2b3e1e1090953cd62fcababa.jpg
I've got some garlic bread that's rising at the moment, I think it's my favourite wild food.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Loads about at the moment. Passed a leaf to my three and half year old grand daughter yesterday after scrunching it up to bruise it.
She loved the smell.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I managed to get a few clumps last year and planted them around my garden. I was just thinking that I hadn't seen any about while walking at the Boarstall Duck Blind, and then checked mine. To my joy, all 4 clumps have come up. Looks like Garlic with everything for the next few weeks!

aza148

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
south yorks, penistone
I might have to try and get some growing, I've always found it fascinating how people have always said where did you get that from when the clue is in the name lol its so easy to find but people just walk on by.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I managed to get a few clumps last year and planted them around my garden. I was just thinking that I hadn't seen any about while walking at the Boarstall Duck Blind, and then checked mine. To my joy, all 4 clumps have come up. Looks like Garlic with everything for the next few weeks!

Mine's coming up too - found it in about 5 places but can't remember exactly how many locations I planted it in to begin with! :D

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
We have it growing on my local brook,spotted a couple of years ago the first time in 40 years.I like to check on it when I'm walking the dog,someone had cut the lot back which I thought was a bit harsh,at least its all getting used.
Took couple of bulbs a few years back for a big plant pot,doing very nicely. I love the smell to.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'll add a couple of warnings. It can be a very invasive plant, so take care if you introduce it. Even so it's not legal to dig up bulbs without the land owners permission, it is however very easy to grow from seed which you can freely collect.

Leaves and flower buds go very well in an omelet with wild sorrel and nettle tops.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is this possibly escaped domestic garlic? Invasive? I planted some from the grocery store, hoping for the best. Nothing.
I do better potting up chunks of grocery store ginger root, fine dice the leaves into salads.
I discovered that there's a green fleshy sprout at the top of the garlic plants that some locals are making into pickles.
Absolute treat.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is this possibly escaped domestic garlic? Invasive? I planted some from the grocery store, hoping for the best. Nothing.
I do better potting up chunks of grocery store ginger root, fine dice the leaves into salads.
I discovered that there's a green fleshy sprout at the top of the garlic plants that some locals are making into pickles.
Absolute treat.
?

Not even remotely possible. Wild garlic is gallium ursinum (bear garlic) domestic garlic is allium sativum. They look and taste completely different.

I'm amazed you struggle with domestic garlic...when and how do you plant it? I grow hundreds of bulbs a year, both hard and soft neck. We get over 99% success.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Sounds like your domestic garlic bulb had been treated somehow to stop it growing. At this time of year it's difficult to keep it more than a few weeks before it sprouts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the proper names. I broke up some heads of garlic from the store, planted 2" down and 6" apart in the autumn. Somebody told me to do it that way.
Stakes and string to mark the patch so I wouldn't forget after 6 months of hard winter brain freeze. Maybe 1/20 came up? They may still be there, now several years later.
If the snow lets up this week, I'll check. Much of our store garlic comes from SE Asia = probably had a hissy fit with our winters!
In the Great Plains of the interior of North America, wild onion has been reported. I found one.

"Hard neck and soft neck. . . " Are those your names for the structures called 'scapes?'

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the proper names. I broke up some heads of garlic from the store, planted 2" down and 6" apart in the autumn. Somebody told me to do it that way.
Stakes and string to mark the patch so I wouldn't forget after 6 months of hard winter brain freeze. Maybe 1/20 came up? They may still be there, now several years later.
If the snow lets up this week, I'll check. Much of our store garlic comes from SE Asia = probably had a hissy fit with our winters!
In the Great Plains of the interior of North America, wild onion has been reported. I found one.

"Hard neck and soft neck. . . " Are those your names for the structures called 'scapes?'

Scapes are flower buds, the neck is dried foliage after the bulb has been prepared for storage.

Your planting sounds okay so I think you need a hardier variety. The one I have developed doesn't even frost burn ate below zero (Fahrenheit)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bought some fresh purple carrot, pea, green bean and beet seed. Want to start some of the multicolor, heritage corn/maize seed in 500ml pots = the ears look fantastic.
Thanks, BR, you're probably right. I'll wait until the garlic growers start to show up in the local Farmer's Market and buy some to try again this coming autumn.

I've got 88 black currant bush cuttings doing well and will have approx 90 grape vines started for the Friday Markets. Fun to start cuttings from my pruning garbage and sell them.
40 Medjool date palms are happy.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that both ramson and garlic are Allium. There's a reason they taste kinda similar.
Gallium is a metal.

(Not wanting to be a smart-Alec. Just for the sake of correct thread info.)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just been out today and some of the wild garlic I planted last year is flowering:

IMG_4484.jpg

The rest of it doesn't seem to be flourishing because of other weeds but hopefully year on year it will improve

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE