Wild garlic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It does very well here under trees. We find the ransoms and the bluebells coming up in the same areas. They don't like being smothered by weeds but will grow under deciduous trees quite happily.

Supposedly the further north the garlic is grown the sweeter the taste. I know that the garlic grown in my garden is tastier than the bought stuff, smaller bulbs, lasts longer when picked, and though it adds a good garlic flavour it doesn't totally swamp food.
Garlic is a northern climate plant, but cultivars have been developed for southern mild winters and very hot summers.
I agree with British Red; minus 25degC one year here in my garden, and not above freezing for nearly a month, and the garlic came up vigorously come late Spring.

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just been out today and some of the wild garlic I planted last year is flowering:

IMG_4484.jpg

The rest of it doesn't seem to be flourishing because of other weeds but hopefully year on year it will improve

The flowers here are not yet out but still in Bud ... just right for pickling!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
In our local market in Pyrenees Oriental they sell different kind of garlic for different purposes. It is not unusual to be asked whether it is to be used in the near future or whether it is to be stored for use through the winter. I have also been asked what I will be cooking with it and directed to the best variety for my recipe.

The garlic I grow in my garden in England doesn't look or taste like the bulb from which it was grown. I plant segments of an organic bulb bought in Sainsbury's. It taste far better than it's parent but is usually spindlier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE