Wild Food Substitutes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I was just reading "The Wild Life" by John Lewis-Stempel (good read with recipes only made from stuff you can forage each month) and came across a list of alternatives for flavourings etc.

I know it's sucking eggs to some but I thought I would pass it on for us uninitiated.

It started because he wanted to make an apple turnover but didn't have any apples so he used sorrel

The list is recreated from Jason Hills "Wild Foods of Britain" apparently.

I haven't tried any of this so please be carefully as you should with all foraged food, and ensure you tell someone if you try anything new so they can pass on the info if anything goes wrong (remember the RM prog where the ethnobotanist poisoned himself?) :yikes:

Almond essence -Laurel leaf
Apple sauce - Sorrel sauce
Capers - Pickled Elder buds, Pickled Nasturtium seeds
Caraway seed - Sweet Cecily
Cloves - Herb Bennet
Cucumber - Salad Burnet
Gelatine - Carrageen
Ginger - Tansy
Lemonade - Crab-Apple tea
Mustard - Horseradish sauce, "Sauce-all-alone" (Garlic Mustard)
Onions - Chives, "Sauce-all-alone"
Pepper - Lady's Smock
Pickles- Ash Keys, Samphire
Spices, savoury - Juniper Berries, Wild Marjoram
Spices, sweet - Herb Bennet, Tansy, Elderflowers
Sugar - Honey
Tea - Lime Flowers (dried), Elderflowers (dries), Woodruff (dried)
Vinegar - Sorrel (in salads, etc)
Worcester sauce - Elderberry Ketchup

feel free to add to the list by copying and pasting in your reply if you think this has any mileage.
As I said be careful. I haven't tried these :nono: , just read it in the book where he survived for a year on nothing except what he could forage on his farm on the Welsh border

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE