Wild first aid kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 13, 2006
suffolk
if you cut yourself, chuck some powdered dried yarrow leaf on it then cover with a plaster- heals really quick even for anoying grass /paper cuts. if its a bad cutm it also slows the bleeding.
however, it can be dangerous for pregnant women(or so ive heard) and should't be applied to already infected cuts as it can make things heal over while still infected yuck (again 'so ive heard')
also marigold peals are great for everything to do with the skin- skin infections and sunburn etc marigolds are also good for infected cuts too so you can mix a bit of marigolds with some yarrow then cover with a plaster

the membrane from onions, and fresh chopped garlic are strongly antiseptic. Garlic is especially good for infected toe nails/ ingrowns that have got mingin'
and heres one all you squeemish people will really love- if you burn yourself, put a live snail on it- the slime is cooling and dries to for a kind of second skin with ( i belive, )antiseptic properties.

if any of you are in suffolk suring the summer/ easter or may bank holiday, try visiting ther lovelly ladies in the stillroom at kentwell hall in suffolk they know shed loads about old folk/natural remedies. (come and visit me at the pottery too if you get a chance) :) also look in the plant section of raymears survival handbook-a few simple and usefull ideas

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I saw an episode of Tracks a few years ago and if I remeber rightly Ray did a slot about just such a scenario as forgetting your FAK.
I think he said something about the root of yarrow being used as a painkiller, someone correct me if I'm wrong. He also showed something else but I can't remember... anyone?

Soapwort has mildly antiseptic qualities I believe and pollypoly fern can be brewed up to treat broncilial problems..

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I know that there are divergent opinions on this one but...

I have jut come back from a month trekking at high altitude in the Everest Region and was eating plenty of fresh garlic soup which is believed to assist your body in adapting to the reduced oxygen levels at extreme altitude.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
If you find yourself in China, Japan, or the southern states of the US, kudzu has wonderful medicinal properties. The root taken as a tea promotes blood flow, so is used for all kinds of blood related disorders including migraine, altitude issues, heart problems, high blood pressure. Use it instead of aspirin.

You can eat the leaves and blossoms as a salad, use the vines as cordage, the tubers are a great source of starch, and there are mountains full of the stuff. The Japanese mountain people adore the plant (the cold kills it off each winter): it is hated in the US.

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
redflex said:
You can use cobwebs on cuts and wounds, I forget the reason but it bounds with the tissue or something

I believe the cobweb has a coagulation effect on the blood, bounding with the fibrogin and other factors in the blood. Interestingly Russian Scientists are using proteins from spiders webs to produce modern wound dressings.

Most modern products have natural 'roots', some dressings for packing deep wounds are made from seaweed.

Although if my knife slipped in the field I would prefer a handy field dressing to making something from scratch

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
pierre girard said:
I guess my response - whenever this question comes up - is: How far are you from an ambulance unit?

Having been involved in emergency reponse for many years - I seldom bring anything in the way of a first aid kit, when out in the woods. If you have massive bleeding - you have shirts, t-shirts, etc to use - along with direct pressure - to control bleeding. If there is a heart attack - use CPR. If there are broken bones - splinting materials are close at hand. I've been involved in all three of these emergencies - while in the forest, and have not been inconvenienced by lack of a first aid kit. Most of the items in a vast majority of first aid kits are simply conveniences for minor injuries.

If you are going to be a week in - with no way to contact emergency services - a more comprehensive first aid kit might be in order.

The kinds of things you need for a real life and death emergency are not likely to be included in most first aid kits. Knowledge is the key.

The only exception would be something for anaphylactic shock (bee or wasp stings) for which I would reccomend an epi-pen - or something similar.

PG

I was interested reading this thread, when you say 'heart attack' do you mean the heart stopping i.e. Cardiac arrest. What had caused the arrest and did doing CPR restart it, about a 1% chance I believe.

I would have thought you would have been very inconvenienced by not having advanced medical equipment in this instance?

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
pierre girard said:
I guess my response - whenever this question comes up - is: How far are you from an ambulance unit?

Having been involved in emergency reponse for many years - I seldom bring anything in the way of a first aid kit, when out in the woods. If you have massive bleeding - you have shirts, t-shirts, etc to use - along with direct pressure - to control bleeding. If there is a heart attack - use CPR. If there are broken bones - splinting materials are close at hand. I've been involved in all three of these emergencies - while in the forest, and have not been inconvenienced by lack of a first aid kit. Most of the items in a vast majority of first aid kits are simply conveniences for minor injuries.

If you are going to be a week in - with no way to contact emergency services - a more comprehensive first aid kit might be in order.

The kinds of things you need for a real life and death emergency are not likely to be included in most first aid kits. Knowledge is the key.

The only exception would be something for anaphylactic shock (bee or wasp stings) for which I would reccomend an epi-pen - or something similar.

PG
Never thought about it like that before. It's true to an extent realy. What is a basic first aid kit made up of?

Wound dressings
bandages for support or to keep a dressing in place
Antiseptic cream or liquid
Fasteners
plasters
Instructions
Scissors if it's an expensive one.

I have just bought a cheapo FAK ( as a backup ) from Aldi for £4 something which contained just this. My £10 - 15 FAK contains just this in a more fancy bag. A £50 FAK will contain just this with possibly eye wash in a plastic case :confused:
Pierre is right!
I have added cocodamol ( spell ), Ibruprofen, TCP, condoms ( have a variety of uses :D ), pack of large safety pins and a variety of creams to mine. Short of a bent needle and cotton thread there is not a lot else i can see that would make a difference in my untrained hands. Anything else will need medivac.
Ooh, maybe some superglue for ' Dog soldiers' moments :lmao:

Back on topic, is it true that maggots will clean a wound? or is that bull?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It is true maggots will clean a wound, they are being used by the nhs I believe. I would be careful in the woods though about cross contamination, you find maggots in dead things :yuck: , I would assume in a hospital they would be from a sterile source.

Cue the jokes about hospital kitchens :rolleyes:

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
Goose said:
It is true maggots will clean a wound, they are being used by the nhs I believe. I would be careful in the woods though about cross contamination, you find maggots in dead things :yuck: , I would assume in a hospital they would be from a sterile source.

Maggots are used to debride wounds i.e. clean out the dead (necrotic) tissue. they are used a lot with wounds in diabetics.

Good FAKs are another story i`ll leave until tomorrow. There are high teck products suchas Quik Clot that are very useful in a survival situation, its also possible to obtain certain drugs legally without a precription. But in most situations a £10 FAK will do the trick. :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hawk said:
There are high teck products suchas Quik Clot that are very useful in a survival situation. :)

As we showed when we used the spray stuff on Pioneer junior, or did you miss that one Hawk.

It looks like TCP are now doing a spray on plaster, no doubt it is "stop bleed" under the trade name,

LS (aka S1)

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
bilko said:
Ooh, maybe some superglue for ' Dog soldiers' moments

Hi Bilko

Actually Tissue adhesives (Medical Superglu) are great for field work as they
are much easier to apply, don`t need local anaesthetic as suturing does and carry less risk of infection.

They are pricey (same as everything medical) and are marketed under various names; Novobond, Dermabond, Epiglu etc.

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
ludlowsurvivors said:
As we showed when we used the spray stuff on Pioneer junior, or did you miss that one Hawk.

It looks like TCP are now doing a spray on plaster, no doubt it is "stop bleed" under the trade name,

LS (aka S1)

No missed that one it was before I turned up, the flint incident.

These sprays have been around for years, went out of fashion for a bit but are coming back. See:

TCP Plaster Spray + Radian B Sport Stop Bleed Spray,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE