Wild camping...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Most places around here are no wild camping. Can you ask a local landowner if you can camp on there land? Thinking of safety I don't think it's a good idea to camp anywhere just in case you come across a weirdo. I spent nights on the south downs waiting for the summer soltice sun to come up and their has been plenty of weirdos I've come across. I would of thought it would of been empty up there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From my point of view, Scotland, I found the rules governing 'wild camping' in England, Wales and Ireland to be entirely confusing.

In my naivety as a very new member here I happily suggested places for folks to go.

The result was a very harsh reply from someone who had just been refused access to land having mentioned BcUK. "That's that place where they tell you you can camp wherever you like !" responded the indignant landowner.
Needless to say the other member was angry, and the forum took heed.

Legally advising or advocating illegal camping could potentially backfire on the site owner.

Similarly, such advice in the past has resulted in access being denied to others.

So, we ask for your consideration, and your understanding.

When Ogri wrote, " to advocate intentionally setting out to trespass and camp in areas without permission is something we cannot condone. "
He was simply stating the forum's position on this matter.

There is no opprobium on discussing places to camp, but in the light of Iona's comment,
"I'm all about the "leave no trace" approach and not keen on "sites" or anywhere I might be forced to come into contact with others ;) ",

Ogri's response was perfectly understandable.

There is some very clear advice on Go4awalk on this topic.
http://www.go4awalk.com/ask/iswildcampinglegal.php

The general guidelines for this forum are for self moderation, and your adherance to the position on this matter would be appreciated.

cheers,
Toddy

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
There is no opprobium on discussing places to camp, but in the light of Iona's comment,
"I'm all about the "leave no trace" approach and not keen on "sites" or anywhere I might be forced to come into contact with others ;) ",

Ogri's response was perfectly understandable.

There is some very clear advice on Go4awalk on this topic.
http://www.go4awalk.com/ask/iswildcampinglegal.php

The general guidelines for this forum are for self moderation, and your adherance to the position on this matter would be appreciated.

cheers,
Toddy

Of course! I think this may be one of those circumstances in which the internet as a method of communication makes it hard to tell the tone and intention of the comment...

the comment on "leave no trace" was meant to explain that I'm a reponsible camper who would not be leaving rubbish/fire scars anywhere, and the rest of the scentence a light hearted way of saying I don't like a lot of the people one can come into contact with at campsites. I REALLY need to learn how to use more of the little icon thingys, might help me to make myself clearer! Thank you for all your advice people! I did in fact, for that trip, manage to get the permission of a local land owner and my friend and I camped in a beautiful spot. :D however still looking into other places (variety is the spice of life :) ) and will be looking at some of the links.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm glad the camp worked out well for you :)

It's a very different situation up here, but it can mean that easily accessible sites, like Loch Lomond, can literally be trashed by the few cretins who really don't care about the area or the mess they leave behind. :(

The thread on the go4awalk forum offered some clear advice I thought. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE