Places for wild camping through winter months

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some clarity of my expectations on these forums.

This isn't a comment about the legalities of trespass, civil, or criminal law, they have been expressed quite adequately in this thread and many others on the forums.

Many years ago I decided that we would not promote trespass, no matter how it was perceived by us (Admin and Mods) and the membership.

The rules on Bushcraft UK are that trespass should not be promoted as an activity. That allows us the freedom to talk about wild camping from the perspective of camping lightly in wild places without the specifics of where because we assume that everyone is polite and considerate and treats land owners with respect and there's always permission or it's in areas where it's pre-established as in some areas of the UK and many areas abroad.

So, while I'm ok with some discussion on wild camping, perspectives of campers and land owners etc, I do not want any statements of encouragement to trespass or derogatory comments about land owners etc.

I have in the past been contacted by organisations, land owners and once the police because of 'Bushcrafters' trespassing and not behaving well while they trespass.
The site can be blacklisted by companies and organisations if it's deemed to be a site that promotes law-breaking etc. I know this because it's happened and we had to work hard to get it de-listed.

So, please, moderate your comments so that we don't have to.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Indeed it may not have happened yet (happens in the states because they shoot at any object that moves, just in case it is that once-in-a-lifetime buck), but the point I am trying to make is that if nobody knows you are there (Stealth camping by its very nature is hiding from people) you are still taking a risk.

Just do everyone a favour and just ask permission.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I absolutely understand and agree with what you’re saying but two of the basic tenants of using a firearm are to positively identify exactly what you’re shooting at (with deer that means species, age and gender) also to ensure there is a safe back stop behind the target. These precautions are (or should have been) drummed into every sporting shooter in the UK from the very first moment they start. Hopefully this situation will be avoided through UK shooters continuing to hold themselves to the highest standards possible.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hopefully this situation will be avoided through UK shooters continuing to hold themselves to the highest standards possible.

Sadly, not my experience with a lot of shooters around here. The farmers especially have a dreadful attitude to safety - familiarity/contempt and all that.

(I do appreciate that my statement is a generalisation and I'm sure there are very responsible farmer/shooters around here - I've just not met one yet).

• Sad
Reactions: Ystranc

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
This attitude makes me so bloody angry, if it's not your land stay off it.
I spend half my time clearing up other people's rubbish.
Cutting green trees. De-barking living silver birch trees. Fire rings, bottles , cans, "shelters" , excrement & toilet paper all over the place. Even sleeping bags and tents.
Don't even think about "wild camping" on our ground or you will be leaving without your kit.
I think you’ll find your last comment would be theft- two wrongs don’t make a right, totally agree with everything else that was said though.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Sadly, not my experience with a lot of shooters around here. The farmers especially have a dreadful attitude to safety - familiarity/contempt and all that.

(I do appreciate that my statement is a generalisation and I'm sure there are very responsible farmer/shooters around here - I've just not met one yet).
I‘m genuinely surprised and saddened to hear you’ve had problems. The guys around here tend to be very professional. It’s the crossbow toting types that I usually take issue with.

Last edited:

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
If you are found/suspected to be carrying a weapon/bladed article that is not a sub 3" non locking folder then you are committing the CRIMINAL OFFENCE of armed trespass.
You get to take a ride in a woo woo car with a man in uniform.

Stealth camping without permission on private land is not a good idea for your own safety - deer, foxes, and rabbits all get shot at dusk/night. If you are hiding in the bushes and a shot is missed....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I didn’t mention a single comment about knives or at I missing something .

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!

I had a lovely camping spot in Wales. The ground belonged to a friend. I had returned from travelling and with no home to return to ( I’d rented out my house) this was the perfect spot to spend time and think about what to do next.
I returned one weekend to find a .22 rimfire bullet hole in and out of my canvas. At head height too so pretty nasty.
I have had strong views about farmers since this day.
I still have the canvas structure and the bullet hole hasn’t gone away. Meh!
S

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I didn’t mention a single comment about knives or at I missing something .
I mentioned carrying a fixed blade knife or axe on private land without permission in #16. I was attempting to make the point that there is a big difference in the law if you have permission to be on private land with a fixed blade as opposed to not having permission.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
"
I returned one weekend to find a .22 rimfire bullet hole in and out of my canvas. At head height too so pretty nasty.
2nd April 2012. Camped in my wood in Sussex. Just after first light, I heard the shot and the ricochet scream off into the woods. It sounded really close, but by the time I'd got out of the sleeping bag and not even bothering with boots or footwear he (they) had gone.
After full light it took me over an hour to find the scar. 31 paces from my tent which I suspect had not been seen by the shooter, probably a Deer Poacher.
Difficult to say, but I think either .22 Magnum Rimfire or possibly .222 at least by the sound of it although I was half asleep at the time.

I've been shot at before by much bigger calibres, but not while I was crashed out in my sleeping bag!!... :laugh: :laugh:

I retained the photos for old times sake..

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Touring Oz on my bike I passed through areas where those few road-signs that existed had been riddled with rifle bullet holes.
Not many folk seem to possess shotguns or they were not often used to shoot-up an unarmed road-sign.
On the back of this I always took myself a mile or more from the highway to pitch camp. Or that was my theory anyway. No stray bullet came my way luckliy!
S

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I mentioned carrying a fixed blade knife or axe on private land without permission in #16. I was attempting to make the point that there is a big difference in the law if you have permission to be on private land with a fixed blade as opposed to not having permission.
Ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE