Wild camping law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 3, 2005
Devon - Dartmoor
I was going to say that I thought that although there were rules it was possible to wild camp within national parks. I know lots of people don't live within easy reach of one.

Since me and Dave are looking to buy some woodland at some point to hold courses in I have to say that I think you should try and learn who the land belongs to. Laws about wild camping vary depending on the classification of land so it's worth doing your research and talking to landowners. You never know, you might find one who's interested in bushcraft and willing to allow you to use their land in exchange for some lessons . . .

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
drstrange, mate, you've been asked not to keep deleting your posts all the time. It takes things out of context and it's not fair on other people as well as being a pointless waste of DB space. Why do you keep bothering to write stuff and then delete it? You can have a break for a few days and maybe things will be different when you come back.

Jan 3, 2005
Devon - Dartmoor
Most of our wild camping is out of necessity. For example when out helping a basket maker gather rush, or when going to a show where they really don't seem to expect traders to stay overnight, but it's always with permission.

You guys joke and mock about campsites but I have to ask what kind of campsites you go to? I've never been to one like that described. I've stayed on a very family orientated campsite and even that wasn't like the one described. And you guys won't think it was so funny if you had a child whose medicine needed to be kept in the fridge as mine was when I was little, where we went had to be able to keep my medicine for me. I commented to Dave the other day that people would value wild camping more if they had to worry about such things.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
These days most of my wild camping is done because I am a landscape photographer.

Often I am working miles from anywhere and need to on a location an hour or so before dawn. Occasionally I may be taking shots in the middle of the night too and certainly the last hours of the day.

Most campsites and many B&Bs do not look kindly on vehicles driving in and out at all hours. Many of these facilities are simply not open in the Winter when much of my work is done.

In some places there is little choice but to park overnight and sleep in the vehicle. More and more even this is discouraged in this country, but where it is allowed I much prefer to camp on location so I can monitor the conditions.

It is perhaps little surprise as I look through my images that recently more and more of my shots are taken either in Scotland or abroad.

I am not alone in this, I have talked to many photographers, some of them quite well known, who say much the same. England is becoming a no go area unless you fit the tourist norm. :(

loch_etive.jpg

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
drstrange said:
3. Run to the Hills!

In general and alas, most people aren't interested in the woods. I don't believe that if the law was changed, everyone would all of a sudden get up of their proverbials, dump their pizzas and Hello magazines and get into wild camping. I think that generally speaking this is pure prop. Most people are so dependant on technological luxuries and socio-political pleasures that a trip to the woods would be about as interesting to them as a traffic cone.

There are problems developing up here following the change in access laws. Opening the door on wild camping has indeed caused an increase in the number of people heading out.

Most of my camping is done slightly further afield but I've been doing a few day trips in the canoe round the trossachs area and have certainly seen more folk camping than when I camped round there myself 10-15 years ago.

Human excrement is the key. If it continues I wouldn't be surprised to see the laws change again in specific areas.
Here are just a couple of news reports. There are more but they all tell the same story.
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1336002006
http://www.off-grid.net/index.php?p=607

[Edit: In fact, they are the same story :rolleyes:. Should have read them both before posting]

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Grooveski said:
There are problems developing up here following the change in access laws. Opening the door on wild camping has indeed caused an increase in the number of people heading out.

Most of my camping is done slightly further afield but I've been doing a few day trips in the canoe round the trossachs area and have certainly seen more folk camping than when I camped round there myself 10-15 years ago.

Human excrement is the key. If it continues I wouldn't be surprised to see the laws change again in specific areas.
Here are just a couple of news reports. There are more but they all tell the same story.
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1336002006
http://www.off-grid.net/index.php?p=607

[Edit: In fact, they are the same story :rolleyes:. Should have read them both before posting]

Interesting article. Seems the problems of waste and excrement described around Lochs Lomond Earn and Venacher are a significant problem. These sites are very road accessible though. Loch Earn, for example, has road access to almost the entire shoreline, is less than an hour from the central belt, and its shores are a mess. I would never camp there.

If you walk (or, better still, paddle) at least a couple of miles from the road, you can avoid these problems.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
How's this for a disclaimer. Kudos to Tenboats over on SoTP for posting it there. Need to see more like this:

WARNING

Nature is unpredictable and unsafe. Mountains are dangerous. Many books have been written about these dangers, and there's no way we can list them all here. Read the books.

Nelson Rocks Preserve is covered in steep terrain with loose, slippery and unstable footing. The weather can make matters worse. Sheer drops are everywhere. You may fall, be injured or die. There are hidden holes. You could break your leg. There are wild animals, which may be vicious, poisonous or carriers of dread diseases. These include poisonous snakes and insects. Plants can be poisonous as well. We don't do anything to protect you from any of this. We do not inspect, supervise or maintain the grounds, rocks, cliffs or other features, natural or otherwise.

Real dangers are present even on trails. Trails are not sidewalks. They can be, and are, steep, slippery and dangerous. Trail features made or enhanced by humans, such as steps, walls and railings (if any) can break, collapse, or otherwise fail catastrophically at any time. We don't promise to inspect, supervise or maintain them in any way. They may be negligently constructed or repaired. They are unsafe, period. Live with it or stay away.

Stay on the trails whenever possible. The terrain, in addition to being dangerous, is surprisingly complex. You may get lost. Carry food, water and first aid supplies at all times.

Rocks and other objects can fall from the cliffs. They can tumble down slopes. This can happen naturally, or be caused by people above you, such as climbers. Rocks of all sizes, including huge boulders, can shift, move or fall with no warning. Use of helmets is advised for anyone approaching the rock formations. They can be purchased or rented at Seneca Rocks. They won't save you if you get hit by something big or on another part of your body. A whole rock formation might collapse on you and squash you like a bug. Don't think it can't happen.

Weather can be dangerous, regardless of the forecast. Be prepared with extra clothing, including rain gear. Hypothermia, heat stroke, lightning, ice and snow, etc. can kill you. Rain can turn easy terrain into a deathtrap.

If you scramble in high places (scrambling is moving over terrain steep enough to use your hands) without proper experience, training and equipment, or allow children to do so, you are making a terrible mistake. Even if you know what you're doing, lots of things can go wrong and you may be injured or die. It happens all the time.

The Preserve does not provide rangers or security personnel. The other people in the preserve, including other visitors, our employees, agents, and guests, and anyone else who might sneak in, may be stupid, reckless, or otherwise dangerous. They may be mentally ill, criminally insane, drunk, using illegal drugs and/or armed with deadly weapons and ready to use them. We aren't necessarily going to do anything about it. We refuse to take responsibility.

If you climb, you may die or be seriously injured. This is true whether you are experienced or not, trained or not, equipped or not, though training and equipment may help. It's a fact, climbing is extremely dangerous. If you don't like it, stay at home. You really shouldn't be doing it anyway. We do not provide supervision or instruction. We are not responsible for, and do not inspect or maintain, climbing anchors (including bolts, pitons, slings, trees, etc.) As far as we know, any of them can and will fail and send you plunging to your death. There are countless tons of loose rock ready to be dislodged and fall on you or someone else. There are any number of extremely and unusually dangerous conditions existing on and around the rocks, and elsewhere on the property. We may or may not know about any specific hazard, but even if we do, don't expect us to try to warn you. You're on your own.

Rescue services are not provided by the Preserve, and may not be available quickly or at all. Local rescue squads may not be equipped for or trained in mountain rescue. If you are lucky enough to have somebody try to rescue you or treat your injuries, they may be incompetent or worse. This includes doctors and hospitals. We assume no responsibility. Also, if you decide to participate in a rescue of some other unfortunate, that's your choice. Don't do it unless you are willing to assume all risks.

By entering the Preserve, you are agreeing that we owe you no duty of care or any other duty. We promise you nothing. We do not and will not even try to keep the premises safe for any purpose. The premises are not safe for any purpose. This is no joke. We won't even try to warn you about any dangerous or hazardous condition, whether we know about it or not. If we do decide to warn you about something, that doesn't mean we will try to warn you about anything else. If we do make an effort to fix an unsafe condition, we may not try to correct any others, and we may make matters worse! We and our employees or agents may do things that are unwise and dangerous. Sorry, we're not responsible. We may give you bad advice. Don't listen to us. In short, ENTER AND USE THE PRESERVE AT YOUR OWN RISK. And have fun!

NRP Management

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE