Wild camping law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
I've read the posts in this thread and have been hoding off until now, but I think its time I joined this little debate:

I'm sorry, but I realy can't see what's so wrong with nice public campsites?
Look, I went to realy nice one in kent the other year, It had showers and sinks, a nice amusement hut and a bar and TV room. Some people even liked it so much that they had put up little white fences around their plots, and installed garden furinture. I even saw a lawnmower on one plot, that's realy considerate, they kept their plot realy capital. I like the idea that everyone is nice and close, people can see exactly what everyone else is doing and realy learn from each other (when I was there there was this realy knowledgable man who kept giving me free advice on almost every aspect of my camping, he was so clever, he kept telling me that I shouldn't do things the way I wanted to, but to do things the way he did them, I don't know what I would have done without him) , theres even the chance that you could be invited to join in a game of swingball, or lawn darts, with a fellow camper, and if you get on with your neighbours, they may even invite you round for some libfraumilch or lambrusco, and discuss how wonderfull it is to be out in the wild, what's the best way to set the telly up in the wilderness, where to get the lottery results etc, "who needs a holiday abroad", "I totally agree Val" (they usualy know where the local carvery is, so that you only have to camp cook at breakfast). In fact my wife and I enjoyed our camping neighbours company so much that we've decided to meet up with them every year, in exactly the same plot in the same campsite (we might even be buying one of the permanent caravans together and share it). Most of our other friends probably wouldn't even consider a camping holiday, but then again we like to be a bit different, you know.

So, before people start critisizing public campsites I think they should at least consider giving them a try. I myself am quite offended that certain people consider themselves more adventurous than the rest of the camping community, wanting to 'wild camp' out on their own, unsupervised, away from modern sanitation and the rest of decent society.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Tony said:
It’s been mentioned that the FC etc watch the site, they do and they get very irritated, which has already caused grief for some members that have been working hard to build relationships with them and other organisations.

Maybe they should spend more time answering their emails asking permission than monitoring sites and getting irritated :soapbox: I've sent at least 6 emails requesting access to a local wood, but not even a hint of a reply.

I'm not condoning access without permission, but I can see why people don't ask. I'll just keep plodding on though. Email no 7 coming up :)

Pablo

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
copper_head said:
gee's my sarcasm meter just went off the scale! :lmao:

If you realy want to know, my wife and I think that bushcrafters are worse than Gypsies, and I shall be writing to my local MP about them, and my husband is going to raise this issue at the lodge.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
drstrange said:
If you realy want to know, my wife and I think that bushcrafters are worse than Gypsies, and I shall be writing to my local MP about them, and my husband is going to raise this issue at the lodge.
wow guess you guys dont do monogomy (sic) :D

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
drstrange said:
I've read the posts in this thread and have been hoding off until now, but I think its time I joined this little debate:

I'm sorry, but I realy can't see what's so wrong with nice public campsites?
Look, I went to realy nice one in kent the other year, It had showers and sinks, a nice amusement hut and a bar and TV room. Some people even liked it so much that they had put up little white fences around their plots, and installed garden furinture. I even saw a lawnmower on one plot, that's realy considerate, they kept their plot realy capital. I like the idea that everyone is nice and close, people can see exactly what everyone else is doing and realy learn from each other (when I was there there was this realy knowledgable man who kept giving me free advice on almost every aspect of my camping, he was so clever, he kept telling me that I shouldn't do things the way I wanted to, but to do things the way he did them, I don't know what I would have done without him) , theres even the chance that you could be invited to join in a game of swingball, or lawn darts, with a fellow camper, and if you get on with your neighbours, they may even invite you round for some libfraumilch or lambrusco, and discuss how wonderfull it is to be out in the wild, what's the best way to set the telly up in the wilderness, where to get the lottery results etc, "who needs a holiday abroad", "I totally agree Val" (they usualy know where the local carvery is, so that you only have to camp cook at breakfast). In fact my wife and I enjoyed our camping neighbours company so much that we've decided to meet up with them every year, in exactly the same plot in the same campsite (we might even be buying one of the permanent caravans together and share it). Most of our other friends probably wouldn't even consider a camping holiday, but then again we like to be a bit different, you know.

So, before people start critisizing public campsites I think they should at least consider giving them a try. I myself am quite offended that certain people consider themselves more adventurous than the rest of the camping community, wanting to 'wild camp' out on their own, unsupervised, away from modern sanitation and the rest of decent society.

Yes! Now that's more like it! A perfect utopian vision of everything we should be aspiring to! :D

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
demographic said:
Seems to be quite a common problem too.

That is not fair, I didn't slip that time. (viewers see my orig) and I haven't been sleazy at all, although some others seem to have a one track mind.
But that is typical of the youngsters of today, all this talk of 'S', just because they invented it, threres no need to go on about it all the time, my husband and I were quite happy before the whole sordid issue raised its ugly head back in 1964, before then, having children was a clean, decent process: "Hello dear, nice day at the orfice?", " Yes darling, how was your day at home?", "It was fine darling, I had a baby, here it is, look."

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Well if I can't wild camp and have a fire I may as well check into a local travel lodge!
Man has lived in the woods for thousands of years before the last few hundred and I still think of it as home!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Brendan said:
Well if I can't wild camp and have a fire I may as well check into a local travel lodge!
Man has lived in the woods for thousands of years before the last few hundred and I still think of it as home!

There are plenty of places to wild camp in the UK.

They might not all be as convienient as we all might wish but they are out there.

The point to remember is that the law could go either way. Irresponsible use of the land will lead to tightening regulations while careful and considerate camping in the right places could help things get easier.

There is no point saying that things were different in the distant past because these are the times we have to live in.

Until the law changes then it is the law we must work with.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Long Stride said:
I so agree with you, a little courtesy costs nothing, yet breaks the ice, reassures both sides and lets information flow. How hard is it to start a conversation? "Hello, could you tell me....","Excuse me....." "I wonder if you can help...." Doesn't need to take forever and rights and responsibilities acknowledged = peace all round.

Pablo said:
Maybe they should spend more time answering their emails asking permission than monitoring sites and getting irritated I've sent at least 6 emails requesting access to a local wood, but not even a hint of a reply.

I'm not condoning access without permission, but I can see why people don't ask. I'll just keep plodding on though. Email no 7 coming up

Pablo

Why not try contacting your local Greenspace office too. They can be more aware of the local issues and public access.
Cheers,
Toddy

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Pablo said:
Maybe they should spend more time answering their emails asking permission than monitoring sites and getting irritated :soapbox: I've sent at least 6 emails requesting access to a local wood, but not even a hint of a reply.

I'm not condoning access without permission, but I can see why people don't ask. I'll just keep plodding on though. Email no 7 coming up :)

Pablo

This is the whole point isn't it? If the FC, Nat Trust etc were a little more accomodating and flexible then people wouldn't feel the need to illegally wild camp, would they? I know that most rangers etc seem to be able to judge a responsible, knowledgable wild camper from a bunch of yobs with a signal fire and a few hundred cans of beer that need to be left behind in the still smoldering fire, so is it any suprise that some people feel it is better to apologise than get refused straight away? I'm not talking about private individuals land, as to me that is no different from camping in someone's back garden, but as the FC is a government body, then surely the land belongs to the tax paying people who fund it and maybe they should be allowed to share it?? Or am I completely wrong?

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Spacemonkey said:
This is the whole point isn't it? If the FC, Nat Trust etc were a little more accomodating and flexible then people wouldn't feel the need to illegally wild camp, would they? I know that most rangers etc seem to be able to judge a responsible, knowledgable wild camper from a bunch of yobs with a signal fire and a few hundred cans of beer that need to be left behind in the still smoldering fire, so is it any suprise that some people feel it is better to apologise than get refused straight away? I'm not talking about private individuals land, as to me that is no different from camping in someone's back garden, but as the FC is a government body, then surely the land belongs to the tax paying people who fund it and maybe they should be allowed to share it?? Or am I completely wrong?

This old chestnut.

I am not going to encourage law breaking, but for what it's worth, and for as long as this thread stays live, my opinion is thus:

First we must establish a reason for the law, without this we are legless:

As I see it, the law is there to help protect the woodlands from damage by people who either don't respect it, or who lack the knowledge and skills to live in it without damaging it. I'd only apply this interpretation to state-owned land, because 'private property' is a whole different issue, and there is much debate about what that term actually represents.

If someone feels that they do not fall into the category of the disrespectful or ignorant, then there is a possible case of 'conscience' for them to negotiate.

Law is not as an exact science as it is believed to be, it is not absolute. If it were, lawyers would be out of business. Law is about interpretation. Law is also designed to serve people, not the other way around, what's more, no-one is asked to sign a document which states that a person should obey the law without question, in fact, people cannot use the law of the land as a defence in human rights cases (there were many laws introduced by the nazis which infringed human rights, so the human rights convention has clauses which prevent this defence), and access to land is a human rights issue (what could be more basic than the right of a Human to make shelter and fire?).

If someone is not acting in a way, or has no intention of acting in a way that a law was designed to prevent, then the law cannot truly be said to apply. A law cannot exist 'just because it is a law' it has to be designed to do something. A law cannot have the reason of 'because we don't want you to do it' attached to it because the 'we' is us, 'we' do not live in a dictatorship, everything is accountable. And a law's functional definition cannot be quickly modified to outstep a growing challenge from poeple who have discovered its possible irrellivance and are determined to change it.

Also, a law cannot reasonably justify its function of restricting one group of users, because of the actions of another. And in my experience, the gangs of yobs which are potentially dangerous are not in the slight bit interested in what a law tells them to do or not, they just go ahead and do it anyway, that's what defines being a yob.

Perhaps the strongest argument from the authorities is that of fire-hazard. But this doesn't seem to be too much of a problem in other countries where their laws concerning this are more relaxed. And even if there is a negligable fire hazard, is it worth denying a basic human right because of it? Anyway, willfull damage by fire is already an offence under the arson law isn't it?

I'm not convinced that the law has much to do with what it purports to be about, although I am not exactly sure, I think it is a throwback from an age where people weren't even allowed to leave their own villages (the word 'villian' actualy originates from this, it was used to describe anyone who had fled their villiage, these people could recieve a pardon if they were able to remain fugitive for a year and a day, without being caught, and that often meant living in the woods). I may update this section if I get more info (or others can explain)

What I am trying to say is, ultimately, the law can go on trial.

Take the case of the man and woman who walk the country naked. They are 'breaking the law' but their defence is that the law is wrong, and they have lawyers who can argue the toss.

As for the practicality of 'stealth camping', it is very easy to camp almost anywhere on state owned land (I am not condoning or encouraging it, I am merely stating a practical fact), and 99.9999% of the time, you would probably be asked to move on if you were approached. But you could take your case to court, and if your defence could be argued to the degree that your interpretation held more justice than the court's, then it is possible, only possible, that you might win. This is how legal precidents are set.

It is a tricky one, and it is for each person to decide wether they can not only justify their position, but carry it through to its end (and this holds risk).

Personally, I don't see any reason for people to talk publicly about their intentions to test the law or otherwise (regardless of wether or not the MIB from the NT or FC are watching), as I said, it is a matter of personal conscience, and risk, but I wouldn't encourage people to follow laws without question if they genuinely felt that they were being denied a human right. Law requires consent to exist. It does not exist outside the psychology of the people who it is designed to serve.

I appreciate that a lot of work has gone in to building relationships with the relevant authorities, but I am afraid that the position as described by a administrator in an earlier post on this thread appears to be one-sided, extremely fragile and based on fear: ("It only takes one remark to spoil all the hard work", "The Nt get very irritated", "someone has asked us to remove the phrase "Wild camping" etc.) I suspect that the reason for this is that the authorities are interested in denying negotiative momentum and control. Threats are always a tool in this situation, and are used to invalidate potentialy effective assertions and contol the weak-minded, whenever threats start being used, you can be almost certain that your postion is stronger than you thought it might have been. Also any mutual respect that is thought to have been generated by this type of engagement is probably smoke. History is witness to the fact that people in positions of power hold very little respect for people who attempt to pacify or appease them, or are afraid of their threats or reactions.

As for a tightening of the Law as a threat, as mentioned in this thread, I find that very unlikley. Who exactly is going to enforce it? Are we realy going to see the woods patrolled by men with dogs, guard towers and the like? All extermely expensive and logistically problematic, just to protect the woods from the odd few people who might want to sleep out? I suspect that the authorities would be very unhappy with having to do that (lots of new people, a dilution of power and control).

And then there is the act of having to convince the relevant authorites that wild campers 'love the woods as much as they do', I'm sorry, but this kind of language has no relevance in a legal claim for access, and sounds quite frankly like 'pleading', another psychological signal which will have the opposite effect of what it is supposed to do.

There are other reasons why the very solicitation of permission from the authority concerned could be detremental to the long term goal of free access to land including habitual rights and natural energy resourscing:

1 law changes are much slower by low-impact lobbying than by direct challenge, and direct challenge is easier when a person or group have been put before a court to make their case. This is one reason why the prosecution of certain laws is avoided by authorites, court cases can attract publicity and provide a platform for people to air their views, which can swing public opinion.

2 Seeking permission can be interpreted as an acknowledgement that the current law is correct, although it might produce limited access for a while, it will not change the law. If the overral objective is to secure access to camp at night in a wood, as a basic human right, not a mere concession, then cap-in-hand negotiations can give completely the wrong signal.

3 Small scale accomodations from said authorities are often designed to release the pressure of public opinion and shift focus away from the general issue of land access, If the said authorities didn't feel that public pressure might effect a change in the law that was beyond their control, then they probably wouldn't even offer these concessions. They can also act to pacifiy and even defect people who exhibit an emotional or intellectual capacity which could be used against their position.

I am not suggesting that all negotiation is pointless, but negotiators need to be aware of the consequences of their actions, just the same as people who may be considering other forms of interraction, and they must be clear about their long term objectives and strategise accordingly.

I am not an expert in law, but I have been considering this issue for some time, and before I get lots of posts telling me my position on this is wrong, let me say now that it is only my interpretation of the law!

One more thing, lets just put this into perspective:

Car driving - Screws up the planet, kills thousnds annualy in accidents (not to mention the thousands of innocent civilians killed who to secure its fuel). Completely legal

Wild camping - Zero deaths (even from yobs in the woods) zero pollution. 100% educational and healthy - illegal (oh, except up a mountain, or in the middle of a huge cold moor)

Reactions: Spacemonkey

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I would never camp on someones private land I am slightly less bothered about land that the public (myself included as I am a member of the public) own.
I don't take the P*** and lght big fires, hack down trees and make a mess though.

For the most part I leave it as I found it (flattened grass notwithstanding).

By the looks of it most of the places I have camped out at were legal anyway but I can assure anyone reading this that no kittens were harmed during the times when I camped in the lakes under the altitude of 450 metres :)

When we had the farm there was quite a few people that wanted to camp on out land and it was never a problem as long as they asked but as far as we were concerned if they wanted to camp on the fell (over the boundery wall from our land) it was nothing to do with us.

Same with kids playing on the lead mine spoil heaps with trials bikes, it was never a problem until the jumped up national park wardens started getting stroppy with them.

IMO like.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Tony said:
Appreciated.

What would be good though is that it is discussed, in as much as it can be. We do need to discuss wild camping and the like, we also need to discuss how we’re going to help change peoples views and prove that we are responsible.

So, please don’t read all this as me saying it’s a Taboo subject, forum discussion just needs to stay within the law, granted that’s different for Scotland and other places.

It is an important subject and it should be discussed.

It's occured to me that we all probably have our own ideas about what defines camping but could probably do with finding out what is the definition in legal terms. eg is falling asleep under poncho after a BBQ defined as camping because the poncho is suspended and pegged out rather than worn?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I find the comments about the FC interesting. I have a friend who works for the FC here in Scotland and I asked him how it was that the FC in Scotland were happy to allow and even encourage wild camping in Scotland but closed the doors down in England. As far as he was concerned he thought the FC in England had an open access policy and that wild camping was allowed. His answer surprised me but he did say he would check as it does seem to fly in the face of the comments here.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Wayland said:
The point to remember is that the law could go either way. Irresponsible use of the land will lead to tightening regulations while careful and considerate camping in the right places could help things get easier..
:You_Rock_

Wise words mate :D

The swine is that one bad experiance generates no end of publicty, for example our acedemic friend with the ice axe, but if we do it right then all the good camping goes completely un-noticed.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
The Forestry commission's stated policy "is to allow access to all its woods on a permissive basis, provided there are no legal or management constraints." The Commission is also in "the process of designating its land for public access under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act."

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/hcou-4u4hzp - See "Current Access to Woodlands"

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6GLKGE

They have a very understandable concern about fire, perhaps thats the issue that we need to resolve before setting up camp rather than access?

My approach would be to find a local ranger, in person, have a chat about how lovely the woods are and see where it leads...If you're out and about in the woods you're bound to meet one, or better still get involved in one of the organised activities and show you're not a hooligan!

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE