Wild camping in Cumbria !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wookey

Mar 1, 2006
Penrith, Cumbria.
Thanks for the info Rod, have stayed at the cave a couple of times, ok if you like running water. Didn't realise the history behind the cave, just read about it on line, facinating stuff.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Rod said:
Hi Wookie,

I'm not from your area but Borrowdale is good - Castle Crag, Seathwhaite - check out Millican Dalton's cave on the east side of Castle Crag

hope this helps

Millican Daltons cave is cold, damp and smells of wee. The Hole up Langstrath valley is far and away nicer (well it was about three years ago which was the last time I visited) and even had a wooden sleeping platform and a fireplace.
Mmmm, not very bushcrafty I suppose but it's alright all the same.

F

Fungi

Ah!
Looks like the secrets out!
Well almost!
A positively splendid venue, that has been wrapped in secrecy for years.
There was even an article in a popular walking mag recently.
Shocking.... :nono:
IMHO something as special as this 'Howf' should remain in the mists of legend and only shown to those worthy.
You've only got to look at the damage done to accessible bothies around the country.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hello and welcome to bcuk wookie

sorry to hijack your welcome thread but i agree with fungi the "howf" should remain shrouded by the mists of legend I have visited it in the past but no longer have record of it location so if grid refs are given can we please all do it by pm and not publicly in the forum it would be a terrible shame if such a cool and legendary place got spoilt by the masses because the secret was made public on BCUK

James

Rod

On a new journey
Fungi said:
Ah!
Looks like the secrets out!
Well almost!
A positively splendid venue, that has been wrapped in secrecy for years.
There was even an article in a popular walking mag recently.
Shocking.... :nono:
IMHO something as special as this 'Howf' should remain in the mists of legend and only shown to those worthy.
You've only got to look at the damage done to accessible bothies around the country.

Hi Fungi,

Panic not - the secret is still safe ;)

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi Wookey,

As already mentioned Borrowdale is good. Just a word of caution - lambing is in full swing and the farmers are already having a rough time with all the cold weather we've been having (minus 5 at 8.30pm on Grizedale Pike last night!) so beware irate farmers :argue:

BTW welcome to the site, tha natives are a friendly bunch!

Bonzo

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bonzo Frog said:
Hi Wookey,

As already mentioned Borrowdale is good. Just a word of caution - lambing is in full swing and the farmers are already having a rough time with all the cold weather we've been having (minus 5 at 8.30pm on Grizedale Pike last night!) so beware irate farmers

After living on a sheepfarm as a nipper the main problems that we had was with numpties leaving gates open/letting the sheep through, and letting their dogs off the lead during lambing season.

Other than that there wasn't much they did that bothered us*.

*Other than complain when we arsed around on the fells with motorbikes :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE