Wigwam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boreal Boy

Nov 16, 2011
Cold Lake, Alberta Canada
I am new to this forum so thought I would introcduce my aself to this forum by posting this project I have been picking at for the past year or so. I just finished about a month ago and we have been enjoying it very much!!! Hope you enjoy.

With two little ones I can't get out for all the extended outings as I used to, and they are still too young to join me so, I decided to set up camp just out back. I am fortunate to be surrounded by woods and a nice size river a 150 meters awayr so you don't have to go far out the back door to feel like your way back in the woods.
I want to continue to keep my kids involved the wilderness , what it has to offer and how to be comfortable with just the basics.
I am building this wigwam and camp site for many reason, for fun, for camping, bushcraft classroom....
So tell me what you think, its my first one so constructional criticism is fine.
Used birch sapling they line the ditches of my road, grow like weeds!

Phase 1- structure....

The first two pics are of just the main poles, (step one).
201008.jpg

201010.jpg

the following are after the three horizontal rings are installed, (part two) to add rigidity, really does!

301005.jpg

301003.jpg

301002.jpg

301001.jpg

It is now ready for phase two, covering. I would have liked to use natural materials but due to the size, the amount of materials needed, time i have, maintenance needed, kid and fire friendly.... i decided to go with canvas. I got some guys keeping an eye out for deals on canvas.

Once that is done, lets just say for Phase three, interior with have a little more than a ring of stones for a fire pit!;)
will keep you posted, i am picking away at it. what ya think?

phase two
as i stated in part one I am building this in the woods out my backdoor to maximize the time i can spend working on it and time i can spend enjoying it with my young kids. Even though it is not yet realy finished this has already proven to be a wise decision.

so this first pic is where I left off and new i had three things left to do;
301005.jpg

First thing is to cover it. I didn’t want to use natural materials as the amount i would need to cover it, the upkeep and the time required for both so, I acquired some military modular tent sections from my army surplus store and converted them to a wigwam cover. I cut them up and lashed them in and they are not going anywhere!!good covering and ventilation. It has four screened windows, each of which have a roll up plastic window and cover. For the doo I just haul one corner of the main section aside and tie it off...you’ll see. I also have the asbestos stove pipe sleeve to install over the fireplace.
IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8618.jpg

Second, was to weave more branches in the upper section of the shelter to keep water and snow from hanging up on the flatter sections. I did this before i put to cover on but didn’t take any pics until after it was on. Now i will wait and see if it needs any additional branches weaved once the rains and snow start.
IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8612.jpg

Third thing was the FIRE! due to the fact that the kids will be using this as much as me I wanted it to be kid friendly. So I decided to salvage some old fire bricks from an old home being renovated and build a brick wood stove type jobie. This keep be great for heat retention and safe for the kids. 2/3 rds of the way up I turned some bricks in to hold a cooking rack. left a hole in the back of the stove to enjoy the flames and heat when in the back of the wigwam. The fireplace is in the middle of the wigwam and chose to put the front of the stove facing the entrance of the wigwam for ease of loading it.
IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8523.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

the chimney is not yet installed but all is ready. Don’t think I will have time before i leave tomorrow to go Moose Hunting in Newfoundland for two weeks:4: ......... Once i get back and put in and once she is blowing smoke i will post again, just thought I would give you all an update now.

Didn’t take many pics while building it as when I started I really didn’t know what I was doing! I went off one hand drawn picture and a paragraph from Mors Kochanski’s book “Bushcraft”. It also turned out bigger than I.... imagined I guess, but then again I didn’t build it, it just came to be and I only helped.
IMG_8616.jpg

Phase three
I finsihed the chimeny and will post pics soon with a fire going.
hope you enjoyed!!??

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Thats fantastic...

Have you slept in it yet??

Like the fire circle outside.

Must be awsome to have that land just outside.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Is that a wigwam? I'd have called it a bender, and always thought a wigwam was just another name for a teepee.

A bit of research shows I've been very wrong all these years! It's nice to be shown I'm wrong by such a neat and professional example.

Boreal Boy

Nov 16, 2011
Thanks all!
Yes, I have slept in it and it is quite cozy! I can't wait for the winter.
The kids love it, on the colder days while playing outside they head in for a warm up and some hot chocolate. The fire pit and wigwam also get lots of use after the kids have gone to bed too!;) When sleeping in it, I drink lots before bed (not a problem) and then stoke the fire when I get up to water a tree.
We are verry fortunate to be surrounded bby such beautifull country. stand by for another poste from last ummer on another site "a walk out my back door"....

FelixAvery

Oct 17, 2011
Scotland
wow really create frame i love it but the green tarps just ruin it for me would be super amazing if you went fully primitive and used either birch bark or thatched pine branches to cover it but very impressive construction anyway! im really jealous of anyone who living in nova scotia!
I work as a chef and we have a shared jacket to put on over our whites when we go out to smoke and randomly its a nova scotia special olympics jacket haha!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Welcome to BcUK :D and the conversations around the 'virtual' campfire :)

That's a cracker of a bender......I too got it wrong and thought a wigwam was just another name for a tepee :dunno:

Best playground in the world kind of thing :D

cheers,
Toddy

Boreal Boy

Nov 16, 2011
wow really create frame i love it but the green tarps just ruin it for me would be super amazing if you went fully primitive and used either birch bark or thatched pine branches to cover it but very impressive construction anyway! im really jealous of anyone who living in nova scotia!
I work as a chef and we have a shared jacket to put on over our whites when we go out to smoke and randomly its a nova scotia special olympics jacket haha!
Would have loved to!!!!but A LOT of birch trees would have to of been sacrificed for that! not to mention the time and up keep...
When I build a smaller one in the woods I will do it proper, but this one really is big!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Gawsh, BBoy, thats just amaaaazzzzing! A home site with style :) Welcome to the forum, I'm sure we'll all be watching your future projects with as much enjoyment as we're getting from seeing this one develop! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE