Wide-fit hiking boots - recommendation please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Hi All,

The title says it all I guess. I have wide feet and find that a normal fit hiking shoes do not work for me.

The only wide-fit boots I know are Scarpa. Great, sturdy boots but can be a bit heavy. Does anyone know of other makers who produce wide-fits?

many thanks.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Meindl are built for the northern europe foot, so are a wider fit. I have a pair of the non-gortex ones.
I wear the altberg field & fell in a wide fitting for work, but these are only made to order(in wide fitting) and take 6-8 weeks. Hope this helps.

Oct 2, 2008
North London
I have trouble with wide feet as well, and found meindl to be too narrow, especially with the high rubber rand. The boots i use are Raichle Mountain Trail, and i find them to be very comfortable.

http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Hiking/Footwear/Boots/Raichle/M+Mtn+Trail+XT+GTX+RAI0013.htm

I did have a problem at first with one of the lacing eylets rubbing the top of my foot and causing bruising, but that has stopped now the boots are worn in. I would recommend trying as many different boots as you can though and seeing which suits you best.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
I often have a problem with boots being too narrow. If you can find a shop that offers a good fitting service then that's obviously optimum. I tried a pair of Asolo boots a couple of months back and they were too wide at the front which I was most surprised at!
Bought a pair of Scarpa Rangers from George Fisher's in Keswick - great service. One boot was a bit snug on the front/side but after a short session on their rubbing bar, all was fine.
I've also heard great things about Altberg's fitting service too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE