Widdop moor millstone

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Well after 9 days of solid rain and no BCUK I was beginning to suffer from "shed fever" but last Monday (9/11/09) dawned fine and sunny so I headed into the hills to try and find a Millstone I once passed by chance over 30 years ago, it wasn't near a path then but just lying on the moor by a millstone grit outcrop where I presumed it was carved from.Leaving the van at Widdop reservoir (red arrow)
1a-1.jpg

I followed the bridalway up and onto the moor and after passing a ruined farmstead set off across the really boggy moor to some large rocks to find it still there
1.jpg
ariel from google:-
offgooglemaps.jpg

Lat.53*46'52"N - 2*8'9.4"W
67"diameter 11"thick with a 9"diameter center I don't know how you'd move it now let alone back in the horse and cart days ? There wasn't much shelter there so I set off to the middle rocks on the horizon.
2.jpg

To find a carved bowl full of water on the top,You often get these around here on the moors and even in a hot sunny spell they still have water in I wonder if it's a dew pond type thing using condensation and if so how far back was it carved ?
3.jpg

That wasn't the only good find though because under the rock was a perfect shelter
4.jpg

To brew up some Vietnamese coffee using the water from on top
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ca-Phe-ZgoZ-Coffee-Vietnamese-Coffee-Ca-Phe-VN_W0QQitemZ230397144291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Food_SM?hash=item35a4bd6ce3
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-cup-Vietnamese-stainless-steel-coffee-filter-caphevn_W0QQitemZ230397143599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Food_SM?hash=item35a4bd6a2f

5-1.jpg

and make some dinner before exploring the surrounding area and heading back to the van as the sun was setting
sunset.jpg

It's rained every day since but at least BCUK is back on thanks Tony and crew
cheers all Danny

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks grand Danny, that's a serious piece of stonework.

The coffee sounds interesting, might give that a bash.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Shewie I gess you mean the Millstone
Millstone.jpg

makes you wonder why they left it there ?
Millstone2.jpg

and not the carved water bowl and cave
bigrock.jpg

the coffee's got a really strong chocolat taste and smell and the mug top brewer works a treat with one tip:- pour in a splash of hot water then wait 10 seconds for the coffee to swell before topping up, then no grounds go through. it weighs 3oz.
cheers all Danny

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice pics Danny.

67"diameter 11"thick with a 9"diameter center I don't know how you'd move it now let alone back in the horse and cart days

In answer to your question one of the ways they moved millstones was to thread an axle through the centre hole and trundle it along with another one and trundles along in pairs.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Nice one Dan I've not been to Widdop for the best part of 20 years i used climb there along time ago.

thanks for rekindling the memories

J*

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Lovely part of the world - I used to walk from Burnley to Hebden Bridge as a Scout, going camping.

Must do that route again - thanks for sharing & bringing back memories.

Simon

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I live in hebden just out of your first pick , i never new it was up there but i do now so i'll be up this next week ,thank's ..andy

If you follow the track from Widdop dam to Worthstone after you pass the pine wood on your left and have climbed up the steep hillside it levels out and the cave and water bowl rock are to you left on the path down to the Gorple reservoirs but straight on passing a ruined farm stead on your left keep going till you come to a locked gate across the track turn left here and follow the fence down to the rocks it's very boggy.Let us know if you find it
cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE