Wicks Paint Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
My local Wicks store are stocking steel paint kettles,

They are heavy weight and really tough looking, my thoughts are,

Would they be any good as a Billy,

I presume they are mild steel, is this ok for cooking?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
That I am not sure of, my initial thought was to throw them into a reasonable hot fire to "Burn" them off

then clean up and season

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My local Wicks store are stocking steel paint kettles,

They are heavy weight and really tough looking, my thoughts are,

Would they be any good as a Billy,

I presume they are mild steel, is this ok for cooking?

This one? http://www.wickes.co.uk/metal-paint-kettle/invt/600803/

It just says it's 'metal'. Hmmm.

Mild steel is certainly ok for cooking, it isn't toxic although it will rust so it's not exactly ideal. The main difference in composition between mild steel and cast iron is that mild steel has almost no carbon in it (so it's nearly pure iron) and cast iron has a few percent carbon. So mild steel is nearer to being pure iron than is cast iron. Silly names.

I'd have thought for the price you could do better, perhaps something in stainless with a lid. I got three non-stick pans from Aldi for not much more than the paint kettle, no bail though.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Tell you what folks, I am gonna buy one to see. and worst comes to the worst I will use it for boiling non food stuffs, or if i am feeling crazy, I will use it as a paint kettle. (The one I saw was not Galv and was indeed slightly rusted hence why i thought mild steel)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
This one? http://www.wickes.co.uk/metal-paint-kettle/invt/600803/

It just says it's 'metal'. Hmmm.

Mild steel is certainly ok for cooking, it isn't toxic although it will rust so it's not exactly ideal. The main difference in composition between mild steel and cast iron is that mild steel has almost no carbon in it (so it's nearly pure iron) and cast iron has a few percent carbon. So mild steel is nearer to being pure iron than is cast iron. Silly names.

I'd have thought for the price you could do better, perhaps something in stainless with a lid. I got three non-stick pans from Aldi for not much more than the paint kettle, no bail though.

Similar but the one i saw looked heavier duty

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE