Wicking T-Shirts advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
After some advice. Trying the lightweight system of using wicking T-shirts as the base layer of a three or four base system. So I bought some cheap Karrimor t-shirts, saw them on offer and thought now is the chance to try this.

They work, like that, but they seem to be wearing out really fast, like the worse jumper you have ever bought that bobbling effect.

On to the questions,

1. Should I be wearing these things like a vest?

2. Not wanting to break the bank but are there any you would recommend?

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
If its wicking T-shirts you want, you can't do any worse than the Brit army surplus gear.......
I have a couple and they work well, although I usually wear a cotton singlet-type vest underneath...

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
not sexy but you can go far wrong with an old style string vest, yes I know its real sad but keeps you warm in the cold and cool(er) in the summer

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The Karrimor ones are not what they used to be. They are cheap for a reason.

The issue ones are some of the toughest I have come across but Craghoppers can be found quite inexpensively if you don't want all earthy colours.

I would save from buying a few cheap ones and get one Merino at a time. Going by the adage of pound per day rather than lower initial outlay. I try to work on the value of an item over the time I own it and try to look at the environmental impact if I can.

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as cheap. If you get it cheap, someone, or something, somewhere is making up the cost.

Just waiting for Rik now......

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Bamboo is another option. Lightweight, reasonable wicking, quick drying, pong resistant and cheaper than merino.

I've uesd dark blue (coz they dinnae come in green) Berghaus Argentium which you can sometimes pick up cheap from Go Outdoors. I've used tghese on canoe trips and camping, the beauty is that the don't seem to smell as bad as some of the other base layers.

Windy

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Personally I don't like wearing cotton as a base layer. I only wear Merino now. I have a couple of icebreakers which I wear all the time. I got them from eBay they looked almost new and are lasting well. I have a bamboo base i got from TK nothing wrong with it but my hand just keeps going to the icebreakers. One of my colleagues told me about these mythical string vests they were issued in the SBS. I laughed when he told me but he reckons you can't get a better base layer. I did see one on a surplus site once but didn't fancy shelling out £20 on the off chance!

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Correct me if I am wrong but Mike Ashtley who owns Newcastle United is the owner of Sports Direct. he seems to have bought up all the smallish sports manufacturers Karrimor being one of them. If this is true then the quality will not have came with the sale. He sells a variety of Karrimor gear and it has all gone down hill now. I would say that there are some cheap one in Go Outdoors made by Reggata cheap and cheerful.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Bamboo is another option. Lightweight, reasonable wicking, quick drying, pong resistant and cheaper than merino.

But its just bog standard rayon. The bamboo isn't spun or used as a fibre it is purely a source of cellulose - and to get it in a usable form requires alot of nasty chemicals. Especially, cheap imported stuff.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
But its just bog standard rayon. The bamboo isn't spun or used as a fibre it is purely a source of cellulose - and to get it in a usable form requires alot of nasty chemicals. Especially, cheap imported stuff.

It depends how the bamboo has been processed. If it has been chemically treated then nasty chemicals will have been used. But the mechanical process doesn't.I believe this process is used in higher end bamboo products. I also read somewhere that a process is now used that is the same as is used for flax and is much more Eco friendly. I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with better info.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I find that Haglofs and Lowe Alpine synthetic base-layers are the best.
Bamboo is great for low intensity stuff, but gets soaking and stays that way if you're working hard. Probably OK for legs
The Ullefrotte wool-mix loop-stitch stuff is superb but very warm
Merino is good but rather warm and tend to wet out under hard exertion

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Keep an eye out on Aldi and Lidl, they do some really good value wicking base layers. Merino T-shirts, polyester fleece lined long sleeve t-shirts and Angorra blend base layers.

My fave T-shirt base layer is an Adidas Climacool that I picked up from the charity shop for £3 and my fave long sleeve base is again a charity shop score-a brand spanking with tickets Mountain Hardwear grid fleece for £4 :cool:

Paramo base layers are good too, they do reversible that either wicks one way, or cools if worn inside out.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Merino doesnt wick, great for low/medium exertion but not so good for flat out work it gets wet and takes a while to dry but is still warm and less pongy. Have a mixture, I've picked up high end synthetic in different weights in sales for not much (check cycling sites) but i prefer merino for less extreme workouts like walking and general being out. I've had a few different types, aldi, icebreaker and others. My favorite is kathmandu, nice and soft and a bit longer which I like. I like ice breaker to. the aldi ones are good but a bit rougher and a bit short in the back for my tastes.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys

Whoaah! I just said it was another option which can do a decent job and the OP wanted suggestions. Cotton and synthetics have their environmental impact too.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
as has been said, Lowe Alpine and craghoppers are good. I wear mine for working as well as pleasure, so they get hard use, and show no sign of wearing out.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
I've tried quite a range. FWIW:

Berghaus make some 'technical' T shirts that take a hellish long time to dry and smell worse than you can possible imagine after one period of heavy exertion. OK for walking in as long as you don't sweat too much.

Regatta make some woven polyester T shirts that look like cotton, dry very quickly and smell worse than the worst thing you can imagine after one period of heavy exertion. Good for walking/knocking around camp, just don't overexert yourself if there's anyone else around. They go bobbly after a while, but still wearable after 3 years of regular use. I bought them for a fiver each from yeomans in York.

Montane bionic base layer (part merino, part polyester) v comfortable, smells a bit weird but not too bad after use. Wears out eventually but really comfortable. Not cheap.

Snugpak base layers don't dry very quickly, but they're good and comfortable (and generously sized), and pretty good value.

Running tops from HH, Rab, Saucony, Nike etc etc tend to be expensive but dry fast, don't stink too much and are warm even when wet. Ideal if you want to keep pack weight down.

I'd never use cotton for a base layer - v cold when wet and dries slowly.

Edit: count me as another vote for Lowe Alpine. One of my favourites is a standard Lowe Alpine long sleeve job - it's had more use than any of the others, had it for years and there's little sign of wear.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE