Which is cooler, long or short sleeved shirts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I guess reading all the above, different people different body types. I can’t get away with wearing a nylon or polyester top in the heat, clingy and sweaty. Must have polycotton or even a bigger sized cotton material similar to what Broch said above.

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I've just bought a 5.11 tacklite pro shirt. Very impressed! I run really hot, even when sitting. To the point that +20c is as much as i can take (bare in mind i'm a tree surgeon and work out in the heat all day, wearing stupidly heavy gear). Always wear long sleeve shirts though, and the 5.11 has great vents along the back, which do seem to work,

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you guys shave your arms, chest or legs in the summer for extra coolness?
You forgot back!!! :D

Since lockdown I've taken to clipping my own hair but only on head. It's a nice feeling and instant cool in temperature regulation if not look. I do have a mass of thick hair on my head which provides good winter insulation under a hat plus about an hour protection in heavy rain of it's long so clipping it has a huge effect. I could possibly notice the same effect if I trimmed other places but I'm hairy and happy with it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh no! I'm UK based and use will be UK. The comments about humidity were really about the peak demand on the garments I mentioned. The UK does not really have the extremes of conditions. It does of course have it's own form of extremes which it's taken American outdoor brands many years to understand. Especially US tent brands. Mesh inners and high flysheets do not make a good design of tent for most UK conditions. I've yet friends experience wind blown rain getting into the American tent because of these features in the middle of summer.

We've not got truly harsh conditions except the few Scottish Cairngorm winters. Certainly not hot and humid extremes. 35C++ and very high humidity like parts of Colombia for example would probably have me wilting even in the best of clothing choices.
Ok. You’re keeping your destinations reasonably local then. To be honest I don’t remember ever being hot when I was there. Pretty much any shirt within reason should work well. It’s mostly down to your personal choice of whatever’s comfortable to you.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Flippin hell mate anything above 16°c n a bit of sunshine n i give up the will to live haha
"it's like Barbados out here"

It's like being on holiday, sat in the yard in nowt but shorts supping an ice cold bev.

Haha as nice as that sounds i've never coped very well in summer, it's absolutely miserable. I like it when its cold cos ya can always just pop another layer on, it's a bit harder to regulate in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrEd

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ok. You’re keeping your destinations reasonably local then. To be honest I don’t remember ever being hot when I was there. Pretty much any shirt within reason should work well. It’s mostly down to your personal choice of whatever’s comfortable to you.
You're from Florida right? I guess it's relative to what you're used to. 26°C the other day and we were wilting a bit with the heat. No humidity neither!! A cool day out for you.

Yes, local this year for obvious reasons. Even in normal years it's Europe from Netherlands to France. I must be admit to preferring cooler climes. Jokingly I put that down to my Swedish ancestry (via Michigan, USA). 26°C is a bit summer's day, 35°C is a major heatwave!! Humidity isn't a factor really, possibly evenings if there's thunderstorms around but that's rare near here.

Not very big explorers. My partner has been there, done that (solo jungle trips where white tourists were banned in Indonesia, China before it opened up, etc). So we're only going to see trips to European nations that are not too different to us. I'd say civilised countries but Canadians and Americans might take offence!! :D

• Haha
Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Generally, no. My chest is definitely not hairy enough to merit blunting a razor on it and I simply can't be bothered to shave my legs, which would make me look like a competitive cyclist, or my arms because one would be done well and the other wouldn't!
I was clipping the hair on my head this morning and looked down at my chest. A number 8 would take a bit off and I might be a bit cooler. Needless to say I left it alone! Hair on the body has a purpose. Armpit especially, it's for good skin hygiene in a potentially damp location. Hair isn't just remnants of our ancestors fur.

Reactions: bigbear

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hairy armpits and Karate practise do not go well together so I shave there, otherwise no need.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You're from Florida right? I guess it's relative to what you're used to. 26°C the other day and we were wilting a bit with the heat. No humidity neither!! A cool day out for you.........
We’ll close anyway. I’m originally from Mississippi (first 19 years) then when I enlisted I did a few weeks training in Texas, then a few months in Illinois before getting my first permanent assignment in Nevada (no humidity there but the temperatures ranged from extreme heat in the desert valley floor to sub freezing and avalanche amounts of snow up the mountain slopes in deer camp) I was there 5 years and we did a month deployment to Greece before doing the next 3 Years back in Texas (while in Texas we did a major deployment to Alberta, Canada for Excerise Maple Flag joint training) Next an assignment of 4 years in the Cotswolds in England. I finally needed up here in 1989 and before I retired did a 7 month tour in Saudi for Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

Nevada was awesome (Las Vegas to be precise) It was the only place I’ve ever been where you could get up on a Saturday morning and drive 40 minutes north (to Mt Charleston) for an hours snow skiing—-back home for lunch——then about 30 minutes southeast (to Lake Mead) for an afternoon of water skiing.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mississippi near Florida. Not the same definition for close as we have in the UK!! Just how long is the coastline of Alabama separating Mississippi and Florida. Anything above 500 miles isn't UK close I reckon.

Don't know why I though you came from Florida. Got relatives hailing from Michigan up in the escanaba area though some retired to Florida via countless holidays around the UK, Europe and the world. Heard Michigan can get hot in summer months too at times.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mississippi near Florida. Not the same definition for close as we have in the UK!! Just how long is the coastline of Alabama separating Mississippi and Florida. Anything above 500 miles isn't UK close I reckon.

Don't know why I though you came from Florida. Got relatives hailing from Michigan up in the escanaba area though some retired to Florida via countless holidays around the UK, Europe and the world. Heard Michigan can get hot in summer months too at times.
Yes but I didn’t grow up on the Mississippi coastline. There are two distinct and separate climates in the state (Albeit only mildly different) and at least three different ones in Florida. I’ve heard that about Michigan also; but only from Yankees. LOL. To be honest the hottest place I’ve been was the Nevada desert in summer (112f on the flightline when we landed just past midnight —- or 44.4c in August 1978) It rarely gets much over 100f (37.8c) here in the middle of the day although we have much, much higher humidity here than in Nevada.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I saw a kiwi as shirt in green for £14.69 with next day prime delivery on Amazon. With 20 minutes left to order I got one and it arrived today through the letterbox while I was out. Fits fine if a little short cut my 6'5" frame. Not sure I'm a shirt wearer though. Cost very little so I will keep it.

I am not sure I like chest pockets and it has no vents unlike the more technical shirts. Might not be as cool.

So I'm going to bite the bullet and get a ls expedition 2 shirt. What colour I don't know. Opinions? I'm usually a blue or grey type but I seem to be shifting towards greens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE