wick making material/tips anyone?

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
hey folks,

I've just received a woolen waistcoat for my 'camping come bushcraft attire' and i've decided that i'd look spiffing with my firesteel on a length of chain/cord in the pocket.

anyways... i now have the little tubular sleeve free on my knifes sheath and thought it'd be a great idea to make a wick that i can snuggly fit into the tube which would kindle into an ember from a spark, i can then use it lit kindling, candles etc before snubbing it to use again.

so...would anyone have any tips as to how i could make my own wick, what from and what (if anything) to treat it with so that it'll catch from a spark produced from my firesteel?

Cheers

Erro
all that is gold does not glisten

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
why not just whittle a candle down to fit? most candles can be lit with a ferro rod, and the fact that they're made of wax will stop you from having to worry about it getting wet

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Braided cotton cord makes a good wick for oil, fat or wax if needed but if burned at one end and then snuffed out the charred material can them be lit for an ember with a spark from a fire steel or definitely from a ferro rod.

I got a meter or so from a haberdashers ages ago and I'm still using it.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If you want a bit of braided quarter inch linen rope which makes the best tinder or if you treat it with KNO3 slow match drop us pm and I'll post some. Otherwise you can get it from bondage shops or historic drum makers on the intraweb thingy. The bondage lot are friendlier and cheaper.

ATB

Tom

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
A lot of reenactors use an old style mop head as an oil burner wick. Tried it myself. Works great, you get alot of wicks very cheap this way!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have some of Tom Bear's match/fuse cord, and it's really good :D

If you want to make your own rope for the fuse from scratch, then you can weave a four plait around a cotton core. Just use teased out cotton parcel string. If you mix up a saltpetre soak, leave the cord over night and then dry it out thoroughly, it'll take a spark. Same with plumbers hemp. The charring *really* helps the next spark to catch.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE