New toys, a question and any tips appreciated

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I made a couple of new purchases recently namely a bowl/gutter adze and a carving axe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412704693.684679.jpg

I'm looking forward to using both extensively and in particular with the adze wondered if anyone had any tips for use.
I have already used it to hollow out a rough bowl and though it was fairly easy I am not sure if I have the technique right and am struggling to find a good web resource that goes into detail. I do h e a copy of Joggi Sundvquist's carving DVD which is excellent but again doesn't go into massive details on technique.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412705016.214943.jpg

I did own one of the carving axes before and stupidly sold it as it was not getting any use at the time and regretted it ever since.
The old one was a double bevel and the new is right hand bevel.
Straight away after 15 minutes is I can immediately feel the difference.
The right hand bevel lets me get really close in to get a very flat surface, ideal for cleaning up the face of split logs.
It is also very good for curved surfaces like roughing out the back of spoons and bowls.

Anyway thought I would share some new toys and for anyone used to using either any tips would be great.
Hope have some projects to post in the near future and maybe a start to finish photo documentary type thing.

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Just realised I completely missed out my question, not sure if it's just my dodgy memory but does anyone know if GB have changed the size of their carving axe head??? When I had my last one it was a hefty old thing (almost too much for any extended work) but the new on seems a lot lighter and proportioned slightly smaller and can't work out if it's just me or if they have affected some sort of change I the last couple of years?

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I seem to recall that gransfors do 2 sizes of carving axe

I did wonder but no amount of google foo can find anything other than the large Swedish carving axe, they do a large and small carving hatchet but they are in the style of the SFA.
Maybe its just my recollection but im sure, like wagon wheels and space raiders, they have shrunk! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE