Why use a windshield - "A" level investigation help please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As part of my A Level studies I am carrying out an investigation in order to answer the question " Is it more worthwhile to carry the weight of a windshield and lid or the extra fuel?" I intend to do a number of experiments to collect numerical data to prove the point one way or the other. It will be based around boiling 500ml of water to make a brew, i.e. how many brews before it pays for itself!

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. I will be doing this in a classroom rather than in the field but hope the results will still be of interest to you all.

Hi Drury2511 and welcome to the forum.

I can see you have a lot of answers to your question already.

Some things you might consider are:

1. Influence of ambient temp on your experiment will you conduct it at a nominal temp. Or will you also look at low temps?
2. Type of LPG mixture in the cannister ( if you are using gas).
3. Diameter of the injector on the appliance so what the fuel rate is and the appliance rating in mj / Btu.

You might want to consider different burner types and diameter of the burner head on the appliance.

Rik gives a sensible caution in regards to use of a wind shield with an appliance that mounts directly onto a gas cannister.
This frequently does give problems with overheating of the appliance and canister so some caution is required.

for example when you make an application for appliance safety approval the assessing authority here in NZ and Aus check to see that the cannister is not subjected to excessive heating by the appliance. Generally a windshield around the burner is ok but one that envelops the burner and canister is not considered best practice.

Stay safe have fun and let us all know how you get on.

Regards

John

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
you should be trying to eliminate variables mate you've got to be thinking ahead as to how you're going to present the data in your coursework which will be trickier the more variables you have

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
you should be trying to eliminate variables mate you've got to be thinking ahead as to how you're going to present the data in your coursework which will be trickier the more variables you have

Agreed...

1 stove with 1 pot type and 1 fuel type would allow for simplicity..

Conducted in ambient conditions in a lab environment.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
just change one thing at a time as has been said above one stove, one fuel, one pot type, then if you have to have more than one aim in your coursework then run a series of tests with the windshield and present the data and a conclusion then do the tests for the pot lid. trying to present them both at the same time will look clumsy and confusing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE