Why I shouldnt be left alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
I got bored at the weekend after fixing my car, and found a big bit of steel bar, a couple of grinders, an anvil, a hammer and a big blow torch and it made me wonder what macgyver would do, but then when i hit myself in the eye with a paperclip i thought i'd make a machete instead,

its my first ever attempt at a machete, and i think its mild steel, so i was pretty much expecting edge retention a kin to a banana before i started, but this iswhat i ended up with

15082011030.jpg

15082011038.jpg

15082011040.jpg

15082011041.jpg

its not as bad as i expected, managed to chop through a piece of 2 by 4 after a while, but it was more blunt force than cutting, as i didnt really bother fully sharpening it, its comfy, and i like the look of it, but i definately wouldnt want to trust my life to it, good as an experiment tho, and i'm pretty sure i've got an old leaf spring somewhere so might have another go, handle worked well though, i made it out of a piece of old jumper i had been using as mechanics rags

edit, the little knife is one i made a few months ago, not much better than the machete steel wise but cut quite nicely, also i just reread my post and realised i say though to much, sorry,

Last edited:

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Now do it again with a bit of spring steel, temper it and you will one step ahead in the great post apocalyptic zombie slaying slaughter-fest we call judgement day......or just use it to keep the weeds down.

I'm a big fan of rustic cutlery :D

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
the missus got annoyed at me the other day for opening the new pack of quilted toilet tissue she just bought, and rerolling some of it into an emergency bog roll for my ebc bag, so i didnt tell her that i was busy making a machete while she was at home with the screaming baby

and yes soon as i find the leaf spring i'll be knocking myself up a makeshift furnace type thing or borrowing some oxy from some where and having another go, just incase the dead start rising, this ones pretty good for weeds though, which is handy cause the driveway up to the place where i made it is seriously overgrown, or at least was overgrown

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
no still have more than the average number of arms and legs, i have stabbed myself with a pencil everytime i reach into the front pocket of my bag, need to move it really

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE