Why have Fallkniven changed the DC4?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Got a new DC4 from Heinnies today. But they have drastically changed the ceramic side. Instead of having the smooth fine brown ceramic, we know have a much coarser grey stone like lump of stuff. It's like a pumice texture and you can clearly see the grit. Unlike the old brown ceramic which was perfect for fine polishing, this seems much more aggressive :(

Sorry about the pics...

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
No idea why they have changed a thing.. their great as they were!

Most likely another way to save money and make more

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've got the same, the old one had a nice smooth ceramic side, and my new one is this courser white side :confused:
I can't say I'm please with the new one at all

Mine isn't white, it is a dark grey.

That isn't good, be interesting to see the results after someone has used it.

Just tested it out on one of my Bayleys, it is much more aggressive and coarse, as predicted. Doesn't leave a fine polished finish. It's not even 1000 grit, it is more like 500. The old one was about 3000 if I remember correctly. I don't like it at all.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Not bothering with the new stuff, just a mini morton whet stone and a 5 year old dc 3, the new stuff dont look nice, but then ive not acctually used it so cant relly comment,

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Actually I've just had a go on my axe (i didn't want to try it on my knife ) it seems that its just the surface roughness, it needs to be worn on something just to knock the coarseness of the ceramic.
it still a bit rough, but I think if I carry on it might smooth out

I just had a look on the FK website and they seem to have pictures of the "new" one and they say it'll get smooth with use on there. Lets hope so as I just recommended that somebody gets one and it'll be different to mine.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought it may just be surface too, and it is to a certain extent. I've just been rubbing it against an old 8000 grit whetstone to smooth it down. It has, but it is still far more coarse than the older brown ceramic is new. Luckily we still have the Spyderco Doublestuff, hope they don't change that.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I just had a look on the FK website and they seem to have pictures of the "new" one and they say it'll get smooth with use on there. Lets hope so as I just recommended that somebody gets one and it'll be different to mine.

That information has always been on the site. It's not aimed at this new ceramic. The picture is also of the old version....

http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/details/369/13/sharpeners/dc4

I think the new version will be OK for the majority of people as it will be easier to sharpen knives. But I liked the fine polishing aspect of the old stone. If they combined the new ceramic on one side and the old on the other, that would be a great sharpenng stone.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
..If they combined the new ceramic on one side and the old on the other, that would be a great sharpenng stone.

I have one or two like that kicking around. You used to pick them up for a couple of quid but stones seem to have, er, gone through the roof lately. :(

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I found exactly the same http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67758

They have changed completely and the new ones are not a patch on the old ones. Infact the new one is still here in my draw with little or no use.
Both sides after a few passes are showing signs of chipping and the diamond coat failing. wubbish.

The quality on this one is just as good as my old ones so far. I've used it on a few old knives, SAKs, parang and axe and haven't had a problem like that. It's just the new grit that I don't like as much, although it works well on blunt knives without using the diamond side I wonder if they will be offering it in several grit sizes, or whether this is it now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE