Why are LED torches so expensive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
OK, perhaps I am in a bit of a grumpy mood today (must be the weather) but why are torches so expensive these days? Looking around, I am regularly seeing prices for LED torches at £25 upwards and often much much more.

Is this really warranted? Are they really that expensive to make?

I just bought an Alpkit Gamma headtorch. Not perfect perhaps, but impressively bright, flexible and robust. If they can do it for £12.50, why is everybody else charging so much?

Now that is off my chest, which torches do you think offer the best price/performance ratios?

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
LED torches can be had for as little as a quid or upwards of £100. I used to be a bit of a torch freak always looking for the brightest literally shiniest kit. Nowadays I go for relatively cheap , solid and reliable- which is how my missus describes me.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I actually bought the button torches mentioned in Rik's post. They work at least as well as many expensive ones I've owned and because they are so small , fit on a key ring, I can guarantee I always have one with me when out and about.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
LED torches range vastly in price from less than a tenner to hundreds of pounds.

Pricing depends on many factors but generally speaking the more robust the construction of the light and the more advanced the LED the more expensive it will be. After a certain price point you get into the realms of snobbery, custom builds, exotic materials, exclusivity, etc. Just like you do with knives.

Some of the deals on the Deal Extreme Website are excellent value for money. The lights are cheaply manufactured in China and badged with various names but are usually decent quality and use some of the latest LED technology.

The Tesco ones that have been mentioned are Chinese productions and are a good for the price, I seem to recall there are about three different models.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Ive got the AA & C cell Tesco LED torches that have been discussed on here before (£10 & £12 respectively) and to be honest they are absolutely brilliant. The Tesco AA is miles better than my AA Maglite with LED upgrade too.

Well worth the money IMHO, go check em' out...

ATB, Jon.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
LED torches can be had for as little as a quid or upwards of £100. I used to be a bit of a torch freak always looking for the brightest literally shiniest kit. Nowadays I go for relatively cheap , solid and reliable- which is how my missus describes me.

What, not the brightest but solid and reliable?
Sorry, I'll get my coat:(

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I've bought one of the AA led torches from Tesco and gave it to my Mum as her need was greater than mine, then realised later on that I actually needed a brigh robust cheap torch so had a look in B&Q and got an identical one for about the same price as Tesco. Both of these are great value for money and are extremely bright, the only I will saya bout some LED torches is they don't offer a long beam of light like some of the conventional bulb torches do.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is a review off a member on British Blades about torches from dealextreme, they came out top and a lot cheaper than some of the (often just rebaged) lights sold in the UK

The CR123 was very good

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a tikka XP... When I want a head torch I want one that's as bright as can be, waterproof and one with construction beyond any kind of doubt in terms of quality because it's going to be the only one I have on me.

Basically, while loads of cheaper ones are very good and probably offer better value for money I give more priority to factors other than cost.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Just got that 3w AA LED torch from tesco's and i'm rather impressed. seems good and sturdy and should do me well.

i have in the past also had that energiser 2 in 1 torch, the one that changes into a lantern. was fantastic for a couple of months but then the contacts corrode and it just stops working, had to strip it, lightly sand the contacts to get the oxidisation off and get it working again.
this tesco's one is flippin bright tho
pete

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I got a double AA 15 LED head torch for 4.95 off ebay............hasn't failed me yet!!

£2.50 delivered back in 2005:p :p :p

I only use a head torch for reading, toilet patrol or cooking so I don't need anything powerful to be honest

These are good, 2 torches £4 delivered
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1255
used these since the 2006 bushmoot, very well made all metal body, firm tail switch

I've ordered one of these after reading a review on this(or another forum)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2545

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've had an "led divers torch" by Tracpac? for about 5 years, bought for a tenner, used regularly during the winters. Its still only on the second set of batteries (4AA's) and has proven to be pretty bomb proof. To test it I've throw it as high and far as I could manage along a concrete road and barely even marked it. Excellent.
Also good is the led conversion for the AA maglite, gives an old friend a new lease of life.
But, most incredible is the 3AAA led torch I found in the local pound shop. £1 including bateries, as bright ast the maglite conversion, and cheap enough to have a few spares!

I'm amazed such gear can be had for the prices!

That said, for hill walking and other serious stuff, I ALWAYS take my Tikka+ with the LED Minimaglite as backup. I guess there are times to cut cost, and times not to!

Dave

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've had a few cheap or reasonably priced torches in the past and found them to be good torches. However, when in my experience, some of them have not been 'robust' enough to be considered reliable. When i say that, i mean there have been times when i've not need them for a while and when i've need them and dug them out of the bottom of a bergan, they have not worked. I wanted the build quality to ensure they are 'squaddy-proof'.

In the last few years i've had many torches/flashlights and always seem to come down to Surefire who, while expensive, are just what i need. I've recently been trying out a couple of Nitecore torches which seem to provide the same as Surefire but at a lower cost.

I had a look at one of the larger Tesco's LED torches and, whilst the performance (brightness) is on a par with Surefire/Nitecore, i'd hold judgement until the robustness and reliability is proven.

I've no problem with budget torches at all, but i like to be confident that when i pick a torch up, it will work.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Jedadiah

I can't fault what you say. I usually use the Petzl, Maglite/LED conversion for the more "serious" stuff - or at the very least have them with me, and keep the cheapies for around the house at night, loo breaks, fetching firewood, short dog walks etc.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE