Led Torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
They discontinued them for while before and then brought out a new model.

Red torches are very popular with Astronomers who know well the importance of good night vision.

I filtered my white one with a bit of red Litho tape which is used for masking lithographic film in printing.

It's durable, non permanent but very effective.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I dont use standard torches mate other than for dog walking and thats just a pound shop jobby. Only a zebra will do. ill probably end up getting a maker on CPF to knock something up

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mine looks fine.

It's made to be trimmed easily. Just put it on the lens and scribe gently around the edge with a sharp knife.

I'm guessing you might have one of those.

If you don't get it right first time just peel it off and try another piece.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Fenix do a range of caps and wands- I have a red filter, a flip-up diffuser and interestingly, a odd shaped "wand" which while suggestive of a another battery-operated device (aherm), works very well as a candle...

Still want a zebra light though...

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
http://dx.com/p/singfire-sf-117b-cr...ming-flashlight-black-1-x-aa-1-x-14500-191024

This torch is similar to "A" and starts on full, if you wait a little while, a few seconds. Or on next if you don't wait.

Very bright. Three modes, full, low, strobe. It tends to get hot on full and low isn't very low. Low is like high on other flashlights. Battery life not impressive, but not bad. A few hours on low. Very pleased with it, but for overnighters I take a Zebralight. Would have been better if the strobe mode had been replaced with a real low mode.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I use a led lenser p4 for work , and it gets used. When the on/off button at the top went wrong the company did not want to know, so i've gone back to my old maglite.

Topknot

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Whilst ambling back from a country pub last weekend I found a Ultrafire XTML T6 LED flashlight thing in amongst the grass verge, had a look round to see if there was someone dying in the gutter and couldn't find any casualties.

Anyway, I got to the bunkhouse where I and quite a few others were staying and I asked them if they had lost one, nothing.

So I now have a new torch, looking at reviews they seem mixed from the people who didn't like them and those who loved them, I'm well happy with it. Got one 1865 rechargable battery and throws out a hell of a beam. Could do with memory on its settings as I have to toggle through them but that.s not the end of the world.

I have to say that Maglites (I've had several in the past) are very poor in comparison to about a tenners worth of Chinese torch.

All I want is something pretty small, rechargable that throws out decent light when I want it and has zoom. I honestly couldn't care less about the quality of the knurling (which to be fair is good on the one I found anyway) or the fancy name it has.

My brother has a Solarstorm front pushbike light, decent connectors and although I've not done a side by side comparison I reckon its more powerful that most of the front lights I've had fitted to my motorcycles over the years. Ace thing.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Wayland,
love the idea of the red litho tape but that site has a minimum order value of fifty quid !
what other ways are there of converting a torch to red, will any old sticky back red plastic do ?
what have others done ?

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I bought a sheet os sticky backed plastic a metre square off tinterweb, its done the job fine, I now have almost a square metre of spare sticky backed plastic !

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
I got this from b&q few years back' never ever let me down' its awsome. And it only cost £14.99
8uhuqe9e.jpg
vuze6ute.jpg
duvure7u.jpg
pase4u3u.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE