Led Torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 4, 2014
Newbury
I've been on the hunt for best possible torch for the kind of stuff we do, and have tried a few options.

Torches.png

As yet, I haven't found the perfect torch that satisfies these criteria:
1. I prefer AA and 14500 batteries. My other kit (e.g. GPS) uses AA so we usually travel with a pack of them. I don't want to transport different batteries. Use the 14500's until they're flat and then switch to AA's.
2. Must have Zoom
3. Must have bright and dim modes, bright when I need it and dim for normal use. I never used strobe but don't mind if it's there as long as it stays out of the way.
4. Mode memory or to always start on the same mode is a must
5. Lightweight
6. Preferably low cost because our clan will need a bunch of them

Of the torches in my pic:
A is my favourite except that it starts in the next mode when you turn it on. It's light and it's bright (350 lumens if you believe them). I have a nice light camo pouch that holds two spare batteries. Should last the whole night in an emergency plus some. It cost £3 at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ZXUUOG so a pretty good deal.
B is my next one, it is somewhat heavy (backpacking every gram counts) and doesn't use AA or 14500, but you can use AAA with the holder when the 26650 battery goes flat. It's very bright - supposedly 2000 lums. The mode operation is great, always starts on brightest. Cost around £6 at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300939727585
C is my Led Lensor T7, we've had about a 25% failure rate with these. Say no more.
D is a T6 that cost around £7. It's heavy and reasonably bright (800 lums) but it's mode is horrible. Always starts on the next mode and there are around six modes. It also doesn't use AA or 14500, but can use AAA with the holder like option B. It cost around £9 at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0092Q1N7W
E is my old Maglite. Light and reliable, uses AA batteries but not 14500. Not that bright.

So none of them satisfy all my selection criteria. I can get a torch for around £60 that does all I want it to do, but I'm thinking there could be a much cheaper torch that fits all my criteria.

I'm really looking for a torch like "A" that always starts on mode 1 or on the last used mode (not the next mode).

Anyone found my ideal torch?

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
My next torch might be A above as it happens
i use a maglite with the led replacement bulb, i think its 140 lumens, and the tailcap, which is marvelous, no more accidental turnons
no sos mode ( the maglite led version does tho) but has different brightness settings, starts on bright each time, tailcap presses to step through
I have loads of maglite accessories, so if a bits die, easy to replace just one bit rather than new torch etc .
ive got the glow wand, colour filters, head strap, bike mount etc

Al

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got torch 'A' I paid £1.80 for it delivered and use it everyday for work. For the money I can't fault it, its as good as any maglite I've owned.

Jan 4, 2014
Newbury
I've got torch 'A' I paid £1.80 for it delivered and use it everyday for work. For the money I can't fault it, its as good as any maglite I've owned.

Swotty, what modes does yours have, and does it either use mode memory or always start on the same mode?

The reason I ask is that somewhere out there torch "A" will exist with some decent circuitry at a decent price (and it's that I'm looking for).

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
If your looking for a torch that really is "intelligent" and starts on the last mode used then have a look at Fenix torches/ head torches! Really are fantastic although more expensive than the above. Great battery life compared to others, well built and almost all have an IPX8 waterproof rating. Fantastic!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Swotty, what modes does yours have, and does it either use mode memory or always start on the same mode?

The reason I ask is that somewhere out there torch "A" will exist with some decent circuitry at a decent price (and it's that I'm looking for).

Not at home at the mo' but I'll check tomorrow and let you know :)

Jan 19, 2012
essex
I bought torch A.
I was so impressed I bought 5 more as gifts.
The quality of cheap led torches is simply amazing now.
Ive got maglites and surefires, and the cheap led's stack up to these, imo.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
If you're set on a zoom function, then you're limited to either overpriced and underpowered LED LENSER or Chinese ripoffs.
I agree with previous posts on Zebralight for you and Chinese ripoffs for the family.......my maglites have long since been retired to the back of the cupboard and replaced with brighter, sturdier lights.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Been totally blown away by the amount of light that the Chinese stuff chucks out for the price.
Maglites are so far behind and expensive that nowadays I wouldn't go near them and the uber expensive Hope and whatever pushbike lights might well be better finished but not even close in terms of value.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just to go against the norm.

I like the Zebralights for the amount of light they don't chuck out.

I have two, a white one and a red one. Most of the time I use them on their lowest settings to preserve my night vision.

When I camp out I like to be able to see where I am with the light that surrounds me and look us to see the galactic plane stretching across the sky above.

Smoke-of-Creation.jpg

With dark adapted eyes, one burst of searing white light from a torch can destroy that experience for half an hour at least.

If I really need some light to find something, my first choice is the low setting on the red torch. In an emergency I might use the white torch but unless I need to flood an area, that will be on the low setting too.

Both the Zebras let me switch straight to the lowest setting without scrolling through other modes.

They also allow me to clip them to my clothes pointing downwards so I can use them around other people without blinding them every time I glance in their direction.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
People that know me from meet ups will tell you that stray light is one of my pet hates. Especially people with head torches that shine straight into other peoples eyes.

As far as I can see, many people never give their eyes a chance to adjust. They use lights and torches constantly which means they can only see what they are illuminating.

The picture above is taken with a normal camera, entirely with the light present, near the tip of the Llyn Peninsula, one of the least light polluted places in the UK. In fact the glow you can see near the horizon is coming from a small town several miles away.

It's never really very dark in this country. Even in remote spots, the moon usually provides a lot of light. Certainly enough to move around and do simple tasks with.

There has been another "afraid of the dark" type thread recently and I cannot help but wonder if the people struggling with this issue have ever allowed their eyes to adapt to the dark. That means at least half an hour with no lights at all, including fire light...

There is a very atmospheric film called Pitch Black that I saw a while ago. The premiss was that there really was something scary in the dark so people could only survive if they had a light of some kind. Of course, due to the inverse square law for the techno geeks out there, any portable light is only going to illuminate a small area close to the light source to a level that our normal vision will find useful, so everything else seems like inky blackness.

People think it's dark out there because they don't turn the lights off...

I find myself using torches mostly at meet ups. Partly because there is always somebody walking around with a head torch or a gas lantern but also because we all sit around staring into a fire. When we walk away from the fire without a torch we trip over the first tree root we come to because we are still blinded by the dark.

Half an hour after we go to bed, if we wake up and look around, we can see everything around us. That's what our eyes can do if they are given a chance.

On my own, I rarely have a fire once it has gone dark. After cooking I just let it die down and enjoy the night.

I use the red Zebra so much I have just added a red gel to the white one now and if I really need white light I will use the key ring light in my pocket.

Red light does not bleach the sensitive pigments of the retina as badly so it preserves our night vision to some degree if used carefully. I would strongly recommend it to anyone that wants to embrace their inner dark side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE