Why am I carrying........ The Sequel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Oh crikey, the pocket contents get used all the time. Something from the bimble bag in the car gets used monthly, even if it's just the Leatherman in that as a screwdriver.

The Dartmoor gets used as a camp knife. I've not spent a night in an orange bag but have used a foils blanket when sleeping out once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
So relieved to find that it is not just me that think these tins to be borderline useless.

The contents are often cheap versions of "sometimes usable" items - paper matches, scalpel blades, condoms etc. Or simply not enough of something to be effective - snare wire, fishing tackle & micro fire-steels; I understand that "Something" is entirely better than "Nothing" but if the chips are really down, you'll need all the help you can muster. If you can justify taking something useful - make it a useful thing!

One thing that really bugs me lately is the manual dexterity necessary to open the tin itself - there is no point at all in having a fire kit that you cannot open with cold, numb, hypothermic hands! If you want to try it, run your hands under the cold tap for 10 minutes and try opening your kit (without drying your hands first).

ATB

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After going through a stage when there was so much EDC stuff on my key chain to seriously risk losing my trousers if I reached for anything high up its now whittled down to a few items that do get used regularly.

A Very beat up Native Planet ( snugpak ) nylon wallet that needs replacing but they stopped making them containing my cards, cash, bullet space pen, credit card sized fresnel magnifier ( my eyes are shockingly bad these days ) from "Ben's Backwoods" who I have no recollection of ever buying stuff from, and attached to the same D ring as the chain a little FennixL0D torch which has proved to be the most reliable torch I've owned.

On the other end of the chain is a little spring carabiner that I stripped from a bit of surplus kit they were selling off cheap. I think it was some gadget to stop your rifle being grabbed off you in riots, anyroad it's really well made. On the crab there's a spit ring with my keys, one of those small Swiss Army knives with the nail scissors, nail file and as big a blade as you need most of the time. There a tiny match safe made from a recycled maglite solitaire, a issue can opener, a U.S. Issue widgy bar about as long as my thumb which actually gets used a lot and since my night vision is awful there's a little Nitestik glow tag which being as disorganised as I am means to find the damn things when I'm sneaking off early i don't have to put the light on and wake herself. Admittedly that doesn't happen very often these days but it weighs next to nowt so I've not removed it.

Unless I'm going into a city I also wear a automatically locking one hand opening Swiss Army knife on a billy cord ( a long time ago I nearly removed a finger with a Opinel no. 8 I'd neglected to lock open so I have a aversion to non locking penknives ) and if I'm out in the sticks or its one of those rare weeks I smoke a aluminium K&M match safe I trimmed down to fit UK cooks matches. If I am smoking there will be a briar, tobacco pouch , pipe tool and a zippo and then there's the basic mobile phone I'm obliged to carry. There's also at least one thick cotton bandana sized hankie ( my favourites are bright orange recognition panels made for the Indian airforce that ended up at the War and Peace show one year, I wish I'd bought the lot now as I'm down to my last three ) and most days a pocket watch.

if I'm going out with a day bag ( which I also use for shopping ) there's always in it a small bottle of hand wash, packet of tissues , ti spork ( the narrow sort that's like a glorified chip fork ) my meds, mini maglite with LED conversion ( used to be a surefire but it ate expensive batteries so that's relegated to occasional use now ) a brass K&M case in a penknife pouch on a strap ( mainly used for burn tests when buying cloth ) and last but not least as it gets used most trips out a old issue folding ruler in a nylon maglite pouch used for measuring true sizes in charity shops.

The rest I carry depends on the specifics of the day, if there's any chance of rain, a coat, etc etc.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I too followed the carrying a survival tin craze ever since I saw Peter Duncan with Lofty Wiseman on Duncan Dares. It was a very popular idea in Scouts and Venture Scouts (when they existed) from the 80's to 90's and I occasionally used it...

...Once I boiled water in my survival tin...and it was because I needed to! :yikes:

It was after a long climb in Spain, my friend had bought a brew kit, but managed to forget to bring a pot or mug to boil the water in. I was only too happpy to suggest using my survival tin.
It was very arkward and difficult to pick up/use but it did work, and we had a much needed drink. Using the tin like this, was only possible because I habitually carried the tin literally everywhere, I don't carry it in my kit nowerdays, but you know what there have been a few times I've wanted it:

1. A friend asked for something to light candles with at a party (they spent about 20 mins tring to find someone with a lighter).
2. I needed a needle and thread, or sfety pins, when my trousers ripped on an ML course(I used superglue).
3. I used the electric tape from around the tin llid to fix a tent pole. (it worked till I got home).
4. Wanting a candle when my torch batteries died or to melt something like cord(this has happened a many times).
5. The wire saw would have been handy many times over for cutting odds and ends.
6. Brass wire is very handy for fixing things that paracord is to thick or flexible for. (like rucksack external frames, belts, buckles ect)
If I'd have carried it in my pocket every day over the last 20 years everything including the fishing kit would have been used at some point.

It makes me want to put it back in my pocket right now! So why don't I? because the times I've needed it are very far and few between, weeks if not months apart.

As others have mentioned if a situation comes up you tend to "make-do" and cope with what you have at the time. Having a huge collection of kit in pockets or in pouches is fine, I've done this for 20 years, but it's usually when you don't have the stuff that you need it most....hence the "always carried" survival tin.

The danger is you be come reliant on the kits, and if you find you've lost or missplaced the kit, you can loose confidence in a situation and therfore your ability to cope can change for the worse. the answer? sure carry the kit butI'd encourage people to also learn some basics skills like firelighting or making a blade without the kits.

GADGET KEY RINGS:
Specific Key rings with just survival gadgets, all your gadgets on one key ring? I don't like the idea, keys and key rings, as everyone knows are probably one of the top household items to misplace(though you could argue the tin would be equally loosable). also because all the items are free to move and jingle about they will start to scratch and wear against each other, you could find some things are broken or damaged when you need them.

GADGETS ON MY HOUSE KEYS:
A "TRUE UTILITY" survival tool that covers a key, it looks cool, but I've never used it in about 5 years so I'm not sure how useful it really is.
I have the smallest SAK, however I use perhaps once every 2 days if not more,
a "TRUE UTILITY" money safe bout the sise of a peanut, holds tablets, if I need them, I totally reccomend this product!
I also have my keys on a cord and carabina that can be attatched to clothes I'm wearing.

SURVIVAL WALLET CARDS:
I've carried a metal "survival" card tool in my wallet for around 25 years, in all that time I can only recall using it 2 times to tighten a nut on a friends wheelchair, and several times to open a food tin. it takes up a tiny space and it's reletively light so I'll keep in my wallet.
I also have a tiny LED card light, it's cardboard covered in plastic, it's been there several years, and does get used occasionally when I remember it's there. I have no idea how long the batteries last.

THE SURVIVAL NECKLACE:
Well I get the idea but it can't be comfortable, I imagine some days I just wouldn't want to wear it, and that is a major flaw in it's design.
Purely on a fashion point, it dosn't look right with normal clothes, and it would get some very odd looks if your place of work was anywhere near the public sector.
It would only looks right in the wilderness, The most obvious flaw, is to get to one tool you have to take everything apart and potentially loose bits.

SURVIVAL TIN:
If you want to carry anything for "emergencies" I would still reccomend a survival tin, yes they are more bulky, they are heavier, and difficult to pack, but you can carry what you want, it keeps your kit safe/waterproof, and you really can use it as a cooking pot ;) the best thing about them is you can chuck them in your day to day bag, rucksack or jacket pocket and forget it untill you need it.

If the kits serve to make you more confident that's fine, but make sure you know how to use the various bits, otherwise it's just metal and plastic junk.

The real question is, do you really need any of it?

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A few years ago I started a thread about those little "Survival kit tins" we were once all encouraged to carry.
<snip>
How many of us have actually found a real use for any of the other stuff that is marketed to us as "EDC"?

I carry what started life as a Polymath products EDC Fire kit, but I replaced the tinder, and I have a compass on the top rather than the thermometer it came with. This is always in my pocket, it's proved really useful, the compass is the most useful part, I use it a lot in the urban environment where you might not be able to see the sun, especially when coming out of tube stations. The fire lighting ability of it has been used quite a bit too, including in a pub where it was too painful watching someone fail to light the fire, and I just did it with a strike of the ferro rod...

yeah, a lot of "EDC" stuff is useless junk. My fire kit shot gun shell key ring thingy is perhaps one of the exceptions...

J

HFC

May 24, 2007
Savernake
I have a compass [...]I use it a lot [...] especially when coming out of tube stations.

I've been caught out doing that - some of the Stations have strong local magnetic fields - I'm guessing because of electrical equipment, if not the lines themselves, and an indicated N may not be ...

HFC

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I've been caught out doing that - some of the Stations have strong local magnetic fields - I'm guessing because of electrical equipment, if not the lines themselves

No, it's because of buried alien spaceships - have you not seen Quatermass and the Pit?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ok I'm going to do an experiment.

After talking about my Survival tin I dug it out, and realised that actually it still has many years use left, but not if stored in my house.
OMG just worked it out I was given it when I was 12...so My tin is...:yikes:...30 years old!!!

Anyhow I thought I'd do an experiment, how often would I actually use it? (Not an apocolypse, just normal day to day use).
I can't answer the question without actually trying it, so, I've started carrying it again wherever I go, so I can use the tin.
If I've not used it in a Year or two I'll think it's not worth it, but I reckon I'll find loads of uses, we'll see...

Here are the contents of the tin looking less than healthy when I dug it out of the loft. To be fair it's decades old!
This is exactly the same tin I mentioned earlier that I have cooked in, you can see it's dented scratched and worn but it's totally functional.
I'm very happy to say that everything still works including flint and the compass! Some water must have got in as there are signs of rust on most of the metal items and the food items have been spoiled.
The contents as shown: (original items in bold)
LEFT: Waterproof paper instructions(on them) mini compass, selection of buttons in a bag. 2 needles and thick thread, pot of Potassium Permangnate, (Below)Pencil and Matches.
MIDDLE: Lid and Heliogragh card, Tea light, Brass wire, Saftey pins (below) fishing kit.
RIGHT: Cotton wool, Flint and steel, single edge razor, Sugar, salt, a small plaster, 2 scalpul blades,
C8Bm3YRW0AEVa3T.jpg

I carefully looked at each item and have either replaced or cleaned each item, the food items and rusty safety pins had to be chucked. now I have a much better list of contents which are now more compact the items that have changed are underlined.

LEFT: Watreproof paper instructions(on them) mini compass, selection of buttons, 2 needles and thick thread, pot of Potassium Permangnate, (Below)Pencil and lifeboat Matches.
MIDDLE: Lid and Heliogragh card, Tea light, Puritabs, sewing kit, wire saw, Brass wire.
RIGHT: Cotton wool, soup drink(from noodle packet), 2 sugars, salt, 2 plastic bags, Flint and steel, 2 Paracetamol, 2 Ibuprufen, new safety pins, (the same) Fishing kit now reduced in size, 2 full size plasters, and 1 scalpul blade.
C8Bm67yX0AAuXji.jpg

I have sealed the tin with a yard or so of electric tape a piece of Duck tape on the rear to use some time as tape, and 2 huge rubber bands either for use as they are or fire starters. sorry blurry photo but you get the idea, The orange paper on the front of the tin is the battered remains of the original "Lofty Wiseman tin" paper sticker.
C8Bm9dsXwAA9yrw.jpg

I'm keeping it in jacket pocket or my bag, As I say I'll mention it on this thread and My Twitter page everytime I use it! (https://twitter.com/Richinthewild).

Last edited:

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I'm too old to sleep on the deck as it's bloody uncomfortable. So I bought a hammock and tarp as well as an underblanket. I got a cheap trangia cooker from Aldi and the meth with it. A folding saw and axe to make me a chair as sitting on the ground hurts my hip and ar**. An oversized Mora knife in case I get attacked by zombies! Bits of rope and para cord, fishing me and hooks. And allow that in a rucksack for £16. Let me tell you that 40 ltr thing is getting heavy. Now to the food....:lmao:
I will take a gadget or two if I think it's useful. Please don't tell me you don't have head torch or multitool? They're all gadgets but you need some of them depending how old/fit or lazy you are :cool:
Forgot to mention the 16` canoe I chuck that rucksack into!!

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
If it took you 10 minutes to undo the knots in the bracelet, then you simply made it wrong :) I make my parachord stuff in a crochet style, so once the first knot is undone, then the whole thing just unravels with a single pull.

I've had a few of those kits as christmas presents, and they're rubbish. I also got an email from heinnie a few days ago packed with the wierd survival keyring things. They just looked silly. As a "just in case" I have my own survival kit, with high quality items, the knife alone was £180. definately not EDC though. EDC involves a slipjoint, occasionally a leatherman PST because it is relatively small and fits in a coin pocket perfectly. Saying that, I live in London, not the middle of the rain forest, so I carry items in accordance.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Once on this forum I had a curt back and forth with a guy who wanted to include a bow string in his survival kit. I couldn't imagine what he was up to where this might be required!

Aye so you still know it all then do ya dude, well I can still carry anything I want and I don't need anybody's permission least of all yours loon. furthermore I retract my apology smart a**e.

PS old post from 17-9 2015 just to take the p**s
Look what I cut with my lovely little Technora 400 bow string...

Making a Bow with a string...
So I set out today with the intention of going to stand of Hazel I know for some arrow shafts and testing the new addition to my survival kit, However on route and just after recceing an abandoned camp site ( Ill get back to that story later) I found a large stand of dead standing Lodgepole Pine, not as good as POC, but lovely straight well seasoned wood, so not to look a gift horse and all that, and it saved me another four mile hike trip, I thought what the hell, and got stuck in, so seven shafts later and a good 6ft bow stave to boot, total time about one hour. At first I quite fancied making the survival bow in John "loffty" Wiseman's SAS book, the stave I just cut to around my height, longbow length and @ 6+ Ill probably just go for a flatbow.

So after sixteen clean cuts, the largest being the bow stave about 2 inches in diameter the Tec 400 saw held up with no problems, Tec has about a 600+ "C or F cant remember off hand ATM" thermal breakdown ,wood in guessing must be around 455F.

Close up of bow stave, shafts and multi tool with silva button compass for scale.

The best two shafts out of seven.

One shaft nearly finished after about an hour with a flint scraper Cheers for the flint ______.

I've been carrying this Opinel No 12 saw around for about two years in my 10-12l bum bag, just for collecting Hazel rods and Blackthorn Shillelagh's that's two years one Shillelagh and about ten or twelve rods, so for the massive space and weight saving its out with the old and in with the Tec.

The shafts are obviously slightly thicker at one end, which should lend itself well to barrelled shafts.

Short cuts lead to long delays, After doing the scraping I noticed there were quite a few knots in the pine,and now I'm thinking humm, should have walked the extra miles for the Hazel

O yeah! the abandoned camp sight, a quick recce round the camp and fire place and along with all the general rubbish I was also looking at an old gig tent and thought to my self, there's every thing there I need to make another bow and arrow, fibreglass poles for the bow fibreglass arrow with metal ferrules for blunts, tent pegs for points, nylon for fletching or Flu Flu's and hot melting into a glue, and guy lines for the fetching and bowstring.
PPS :ban:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I think I should point out that all the gear I have in that list - including the torch and whistle - are work related and not just Fantasy Survival Kit...
Hi john, just when i first came on the forum tonight I read your UST Trail Tweeters pocket litter kit review, and I was wondering, have you ever done bad review of any o the free stuff you get, 10 quid for a zip slider are you kidding me ;) just saying.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi john, just when i first came on the forum tonight I read your UST Trail Tweeters pocket litter kit review, and I was wondering, have you ever done bad review of any o the free stuff you get, 10 quid for a zip slider are you kidding me ;) just saying.

Yes - I have - but mostly any kit that I get sent and find to have more "negatives" than "positives" just does not get written up . The folk who sent me that bit of kit are informed of reasons I declined to review it and - if they send the postage - they get the kit back to look at again.
As to the retail price of kit I review - different folk have different budgets and views of what things are worth.
With the zip repair - is there a viable alternative available that is cheaper? - not to my knowledge.
I think of this kind of kit as insurance and there are lots of kids out there with £200 cars carrying £2000 insurance. I suppose that they could take the bus instead....

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Quite amusing that Bear wore won on The Island, mainly visible when he's piloting the boat he drops off and picks up the participants in.

Pretty sure they're just signals/markers for like minded people.

And some of the contained peddled as being able to boil water in are way too small, even with a tobacco tin you'd have to boil it 10 times to get 2L or basic daily requirement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE