Whose poo and who killed the Kestrel?

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Spent a few hours up on the smallholding making a start on our plot. Before I got the dashel basher out I walked the plot to see what I could see. First thing I found was multiple little indentations with poo in. Not very big areas but you could tell something has cleared an area. I rubbish at scat, can anyone help?
IMG_0020.jpg

Then, off our patch we found this kestrel (I think). Don't believe it was shot but it was in bad shape thought relatively fresh. It's chest and throat had been picked clean and the wings where more or less off.
IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

Finally, we made a bit of progress in 3 hrs if you ask me. Here's the missus looking like she did all the work (granted, she did the whacking and I forked or the sphagnum out of the way)
IMG_0028.jpg

That's about 1/5th done then!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The poo looks like a game bird.... pheasant.

The Kestrel looks young, this years. Probably died of natural causes and has been picked clean by corvids, invertebrates and rodents. Doesn't look like a predator kill.

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Ah, grouse / pheasant eh? There was a feather in one patch actually. Small, white at the root and light sand at the tip.

Shame about the kestrel, beautiful looking creature

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE