whoopie sling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ex member coconino

I've just made one from a length of 3mm Dyneema SK78 (1/8") and my top tip of the day is to put a washer or bead or something on the adjustable loop to prevent it pulling back in on itself. I also put a washer* on the end of the standing part to stop it pulling through the other way. I found by experience that it's possible to pull the standing end through the sleeve even with a back-spliced end. The weave of this stuff is very open and flexible.

@garethw, the way these work depends on the weave and the hollow core. Gutted paracord has the hollow core but I suspect the weave is different enough that it wouldn't work, though I've not tried it. In any case, gutting paracord removes the bulk of its strength. The useful characteristic of the SK78 is that unlike most ropes the strength is in the woven sheath (so much so that there's nothing inside), whereas with most rope the strength is in the core and the woven sheath is largely there to improve handling.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hi there
I've seen the thread on the US sites about the Amsteel slings, what's to stop you using Paracord? It break at 250kgs which is well over double my weight. Anyone used it? I've done this type of splicing for years to make carp fishing rigs so I doubt it would be hard to do.
Any thoughts?
Gareth

When you splice the amsteel, it runs through the center of another piece, when under tension, the outer rope constricts around the inner - locking it tight - no need for knots. When the load/tension is released the rope "un-locks" and the whoopie can be adjusted again.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi there
I've seen the thread on the US sites about the Amsteel slings, what's to stop you using Paracord? It break at 250kgs which is well over double my weight. Anyone used it? I've done this type of splicing for years to make carp fishing rigs so I doubt it would be hard to do.
Any thoughts?
Gareth

Paracord has failed on many hammocks, its just not strong enough. You also need a hollow braid for the whoopie sling and the paracord(proper stuf) is obviously cored.
The general rule for these ropes is to use one with a breaking strain of at least 5 times the working load. This will give some allowance to weakening by UV, wear and tear, creep etc.
You would have to weigh 50kg or less to use paracord with any kind of reliability.

garethw

Settler
Ok thanks for the replies guys.. so Paracord is out as 'No' I don't weigh 50kgs!! LOL!!
I don't know if I can get Amsteel in France or an equivilant, but I've seen a way used by Wayland on this forum and by Dave Canterbury on his Pathfinder videos of a loop of knotted rope... I've seen large rolls of various chords aimed at climbing in Decathlon near me... If I get a strong enough diametre this might be a good option until I can get some Amsteel.
Thanks again
Gareth

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ok thanks for the replies guys.. so Paracord is out as 'No' I don't weigh 50kgs!! LOL!!
I don't know if I can get Amsteel in France or an equivilant, but I've seen a way used by Wayland on this forum and by Dave Canterbury on his Pathfinder videos of a loop of knotted rope... I've seen large rolls of various chords aimed at climbing in Decathlon near me... If I get a strong enough diametre this might be a good option until I can get some Amsteel.
Thanks again
Gareth

The climbing tape will be just fine, I used to use some 18mm tubular stuff which was rated to 1000kg. With a couple of carabiners and two 5m lengths of tape, my suspension came to around 300g which wasn't too bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE