Made a paracord whoopie sling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Used these videos:

http://youtu.be/z5eEjL51kKs

and

http://youtu.be/vyZ7ilWUtPU

With some £ shop paracord. The fixed loop turned out pretty well but I made the adjustable loop far too small (didn't have much paracord so was stingy with the length). As splicing practice, it worked pretty well and I'm sure it would be easier with larger diameter rope. If you don't understand what a whoopie sling is and why they have a "safety bead" then making one will make it clear. Although I did bury the free end back on itself, I think a stopper knot (or toggle) would do a better job.

If long enough, this would be a great way to tension a ridgeline - wouldn't trust my weight on cheap thin stuff, though!!

604d4c02.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yes, I did. The £ shop paracord has another piece of braided cord inside it, rather than the individual strands. I could probably make another tiny sling from this (but can't really be bothered!)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Had another go, being more generous with my cord this time:

Slack:

90643b10.jpg

Tight:

567a76ef.jpg

Works really well - should hold up as a ridgeline/tarp guyline

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
And that's about all I would trust it with. I hope no one gets the idea to use 550 cord with the cores removed as a viable suspension for an actual hammock

As I mentioned in my original post, I wouldn't trust this with too much weight. It was more as an exercise in construction than as a serious project - taut line hitches and the like would be much easier to tie to make guylines with. When I get some proper rope, I'll make some whoopie slings for hammocking now that I understand the process

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Good warning and not to be missed. Think we had a thread about 550 as a hammock suspension and how it should not be used.

Give me credit - I did mention this fact in my original post.... and again when I'd made another one... and again when Exploriment mentioned it. I don't think you can accuse me of missing the warning!!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Give me credit - I did mention this fact in my original post.... and again when I'd made another one... and again when Exploriment mentioned it. I don't think you can accuse me of missing the warning!!

True, you did not miss it, I was only reiterating on Exploriment post. Absolutely no disrespect to you or you post, I said my self on my 1st post "Thanks for the share, going to do that tonight"

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
'sno problem! I'm trying out the hammock for the first time tonight in the front garden. Have used my whoopie for the tarp but there's no rain forecast

Can scarcely believe the real ones are actually thinner than paracord!

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Just had a go at making one of these out of webtex paracord, they were relatively simple so me thinks I will get some Dyneema to make some whoopies and soft shackles for a better set up for my hammocks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE